Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Council tax

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not much help, I know, but ....

I'm under Telford & Wrekin for my local council tax and living in a band E property.
I was pleasantly surprised to receive a letter from them in early April saying they were going to pay a discretionary £100 to all band E's in the borough,
Happy to say this arrived in my account on 14th April ...

I have heard some councils are experiencing issues and payments have been delayed - no idea if Brighton City Council are one of them

Edit: I'm a DD payer too.

PFW

Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk
It should be done in April, but most of the regional councils here in Norfolk are saying they need to test software first. Then those who pay by direct debit will be first in the queue followed by those who just pay monthly by debit card etc.

Knowing Norfolk's council, that will be involve changing the cassette in their Spectrum computers!!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was going to invoice Adur for the cost of doing my own refuse and recycling for the last 5-6 weeks.

Seeing as I've already paid for it, at their prefered rate, I don't see they have any grounds to not reimburse me.

2 mile round trip I've calculated uses 0.45L petrol, (car @ average of 15mph does 20mpg)

an hour a week total @ time and a half as I'm working on a Sunday, say £30.

£30.80 x 5 weeks, round it down, as I'm feeling generous . . .£150 should cover it.

Last edited:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Does anybody know when we will receive our £150 from our local council ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

As it happens my wife works for one of the big software companies who run Council Tax Systems and she's helping set things up from the software side of it. That side of it is all done, so they could pay it now. The Govt advice was to wait for the first direct debit payment to clear in April so you knew the details were still active and then start paying. A lot of councils payment dates were 1st April so alcleared weeks ago.

But, as is fairly common with LA's they are making mountains out of molehills and coming up with all kinds of scenario's which they deem would result in persons receiving the £150 who it wasn't intended for. So they are constantly asking for more & more clarifications before they start to pay out. Oh and for them to administer it will be a humungous effort for which they need fully compensating for - the Govt do not see it that way!

As an example, it is not uncommon for some landlord's to pay the Council Tax by direct debit for their properties and then effectively charge the Council Tax within the rent. This should not happen, Council Tax is the liability of the occupier(s) but I can see why some LA's allow it to happen as they don't have to worry about keep changing the names when new tenants move in & out and don't need to worry about collecting the Tax from different tenants. But under this rebate scheme the landlords would get the £150 back.

The Councils have asked for the £150 just to be credited against the account but that won't happen.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Dunno why they couldn't just knock the £150 off the annual bills sent out in March. Would have been much easier and less costly.

Because although the Government have decided to pay it this way it's intended to help with increased energy costs, not Council Tax costs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m East Sussex, Lewes, whatever. Band D. Am I gonna get anything? Do I need to do anything? Google was vague/not much help.

Same as me. We will get the rebate some time in May. If you are direct debit you do r have to do a thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you pay by DD? It should happen automatically and be paid into your bank account.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because although the Government have decided to pay it this way it's intended to help with increased energy costs, not Council Tax costs.

Maybe if it was knocked off initially, the extra money in my bank account could be used for paying my fuel bill. Just a thought.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Interestingly, Wealden seem to have heard Government Guidelines that no other council did.

Council Tax Energy Rebate
Following the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak’s announcement of a Council Tax rebate on 03 February 2022 the guidelines have now been published and we will be working as quickly as possible to provide details on how you will receive your rebate.

Payments will be made from mid-May. We cannot make payment earlier for fraud prevention reasons as per government recommendations.

We ask that you refrain from contacting the Council Tax Department about the rebate and we will update this information as soon as possible.

Eligibility

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Dunno why they couldn't just knock the £150 off the annual bills sent out in March. Would have been much easier and less costly.

of course it would, its trivial amount of effort. they want a rebate because a deposit into the account feels better psychologically, than a smaller payment.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Maybe if it was knocked off initially, the extra money in my bank account could be used for paying my fuel bill. Just a thought.

of course it would, its trivial amount of effort. they want a rebate because a deposit into the account feels better psychologically, than a smaller payment.

I think also it's to do with government funding. As far as I can see, this is direct Government payments to council-tax payers, the idea being to help us. If they knocked £150 off the council tax bill - then the local councils would simply receive £150 less, and it is they that would then be disadvantaged. They'd then have to claim all the refunds back off the Government - causing additional admin and so on. The £150 will also go to those who are liable for council-tax but have an exemption, or reduction in payments. If you knocked £150 off a bill of £0, they wouldn't receive anything (and as mentioned, the payment is to help with energy and so on). Finally, not everyone pays by DD - so this way means that everyone should actually get something.

I can see the logic in doing it this way - as well as the psychological aspect.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Interestingly, Wealden seem to have heard Government Guidelines that no other council did.

Council Tax Energy Rebate
Following the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak’s announcement of a Council Tax rebate on 03 February 2022 the guidelines have now been published and we will be working as quickly as possible to provide details on how you will receive your rebate.

Payments will be made from mid-May. We cannot make payment earlier for fraud prevention reasons as per government recommendations.

We ask that you refrain from contacting the Council Tax Department about the rebate and we will update this information as soon as possible.

Eligibility

Will this be the same "fraud prevention reasons" that worked so very well on CJRS, SEISS and bounce back loans?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
We should all be entitled to a bit of a rebate for bins not being collected in the strikes (Eastbourne), not normally are we expected to pay for a product or service not received and our werent done for a good month or so

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here