Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could UKIP win the General Election ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Cool, we can ignore anything from UKIP supporters that carries a link?
Obviously. UKIP supporters will do as most if not all others do -provide a link with "proof" of what they are saying. That is what I said. Invariably it is not "proof", which is my point.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You asked for a link I supplied you with a link. Your proberly right and I apologise. I work in a prison and run on sarcasm and coffee. I appreciate it doesn't always come across on the Internet

Thank you. I assume that you meant me, though I did not actually ask for a link. You are right -it is hard to convey the little nuances when we just write it down. get back to the old lags once you have completed the coffee . .

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You asked for a link I supplied you with a link. Your proberly right and I apologise. I work in a prison and run on sarcasm and coffee. I appreciate it doesn't always come across on the Internet

I'm not going to be sarcastic but I will tell you that I think that article is incredibly misleading - actually it's entirely wrong. The surplus of £30 billion is in the National Insurance Fund and has been dropping rapidly from over £50 billion in 2009 to £30 billion in 2013 and the Government Actuary's department believe that it will be wiped out entirely by 2036.

John Prescott states correctly that the NI Fund can only be spent on the NHS or 'benefits' but these benefits include state pensions and whammy - that's why the 'surplus' doesn't really exist. It's to pay for future liabilities - including the unfunded liabilities of the Civil Service pension scheme which has no money itself to pay their pensioners.

You can read about it here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2787888/how-state-pension-funded-cash-runs.html

If anyone really thinks that the Chancellor (any chancellor) is holding back £30 billion just out of some sort of political spite then they're not as politically savvy as they think they are.

Camicus

So there is a surplus this year. So we have people being starved to death on sanctions 1 million people relying on food banks. Thank god it's not been cold or we would have people freezing to death and the government is putting it aside for a rainy day? It's pouring out and people are dying

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So there is a surplus this year. So we have people being starved to death on sanctions 1 million people relying on food banks. Thank god it's not been cold or we would have people freezing to death and the government is putting it aside for a rainy day? It's pouring out and people are dying

And we think Ed Balls would make a bad chancellor :facepalm: Do you not understand the word liabilities ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Have you not read the article? There is no surplus, there hasn't been for years. The accumulated surplus built up is dwindling rapidly because of pension costs so we're running at a deficit. We need that money to pay pensions, It's not saving for a rainy day at all. Christ on a bike, if you think there's problems now, just imagine what would happen in 5 years time if we run out of money to pay old folk their pensions by spunking it all as you'd have us do.

Camicus

There is a surplus. The duty of government is to look after it's most vulnerable. Renationalise the railway and electricity and you have more than enough cash. We found 150 bn to bail out the banks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Actually - let me make this simpler for Camicus. You pay NI contributions for yours and others' NHS care and future pensions. Pensions are only paid when you retire - in the future. Therefore there needs to be some of that money left that you've paid for you to get a pension. We live in an ageing society with more pensioners than ever before and this is why the fund is decreasing. If you spend the entire surplus then it would very, very soon be a calamity for millions of people. You would need to cut dramatically ALL state pensions and you would need to increase taxes for everyone else.

It could possibly be the stupidest decision any Chancellor anywhere ever made. Even stupider than selling off gold at rock bottom prices. Much stupider.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There is a surplus. The duty of government is to look after it's most vulnerable. Renationalise the railway and electricity and you have more than enough cash. We found 150 bn to bail out the banks.

There is NO surplus - it is a reserve to pay up and coming liabilities - unless of course you think it right not to pay the state pensions next year ?

It hasn't cost anything close to £150bn to bail out the banks. Most of that cost was the government acting as a guarantor - i.e. they would pay the money if the bank ran out of money. If the banks had been allowed to fail then you would have seen economic carnage. As for re-nationalising the utilities and railways - do you realise how much that would cost ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

No we didn't. We gave guarantees and short-term loans and the National Audit Office estimates that the net cost to the UK taxpayer is £5bn not including investments yet to draw dividends.

Camicus

It would cost nothing to renationalise you would have to let the contracts run out. You don't have to make things simple on my account just stop talking bollocks would do it

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It would cost nothing to renationalise you would have to let the contracts run out. You don't have to make things simple on my account just stop talking bollocks would do it

Okay. What part of anything that I've posted is bollocks? Because from where I'm sitting it all seems to be coming from you. And no, that's not being sarcastic, I think it's a fair comment.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Oh dear, simplistic 6th form economics from you then. You need to buy out the shares to bring it back under public ownership - utilities were SOLD not OUTSOURCED ! You really don't get economics do you ? :facepalm:

Camicus

Yes I do understand economics. I don't agree with you there is a massive difference. You can be as obnoxious as you wish I hear worse day in day out water off a ducks back ducky. Thing is renationalisation in the described fashion is labour policy

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
Maybe learn a skill?

Ive got a skill,im an hgv driver,the east europeans have decimated the industry,lowering wages,i work for a catering cvompany at Gatwick,80% plus are foreign working for peanuts and no pay rise again for anyone this year even though we had busiest summer ever

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You work for a catering company that hires unskilled HGV drivers? Name the company to the media? They seem to be the source of your problem.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Yes I do understand economics. I don't agree with you there is a massive difference. You can be as obnoxious as you wish I hear worse day in day out water off a ducks back ducky. Thing is renationalisation in the described fashion is labour policy

Only responding in kind.

The two aren't remotely similar - one is actually selling off state assets and the other is contracting out the running of those assets for a fixed period. The later you can just let run its course but the government always owns the asset. The former means if the government want it back they have to buy it. If the government want the electricity industry back then they will have to buy it from the electricity companies and it will cost billions.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
there is no spare surplus ..the country is in debt ffs and we will continue to be all the time we are trapped inside the EU.

the UK population has grown by 5,000,000 in 10 years. that's the equivalent of putting another 10 Manchester's in place. have we developed our infrastructure in line with this growth i.e hospitals schools etc..have we f*ck.

also this myth about immigrants bringing a boom to the economy is b*llocks as well. immigrants have been responsible for lowering wages. that means there is less tax per head being claimed by the state thus less being spent on the people.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
there is no spare surplus ..the country is in debt ffs and we will continue to be all the time we are trapped inside the EU.

the UK population has grown by 5,000,000 in 10 years. that's the equivalent of putting another 10 Manchester's in place. have we developed our infrastructure in line with this growth i.e hospitals schools etc..have we f*ck.

also this myth about immigrants bringing a boom to the economy is b*llocks as well. immigrants have been responsible for lowering wages. that means there is less tax per head being claimed by the state thus less being spent on the people.

Immigrants don't set wage rates. It's down to greedy penny-pinching bosses if fair wages aren't being paid.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We are not the sick country of Europe any more and thats why the UK has become an attractive place for young talented Europeans to come to our great country for work.
But our benefit system needs to be reformed not only to stop benefit tourism but to get many wasted generation of Britons back to work.
We need to build up the Northern infrastructure to create new and manufacturing jobs as we can't just rely on London and the South East in the future.

Build new house in the midlands and the north and take the pressure off the South a East.

This will be the only way to finance the NHS which is the best in the world.:fishing:
also wanted to add we do need to get wages up by pay rises and tax thresholds going up also we should think about NI for the load pay but it has to be done by creating new jobs/company's and getting rid of this country debt. Make the most of petrol prices they will go back up again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here