Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could our fans lose us promotion?

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
Modern obsession with singing? I've been going to football matches since 1965 and fans have always sung! The North Stand in the late 60s early 70s sung about a dozen regular songs.

What HAS killed the atmosphere is not all-seater grounds per se (although they have been a major factor) but the TRUE modern obsession that football should be a safe, fun family day out. Now no match can take place unless there are dozens of officials on hand to make sure that everybody sits quietly, and any utterances are carefully scrutinised for racist, sexist or homophobic content. Even bad language of the sort that was commonplace twenty years ago is now frowned on, and any transgression can see you not merely ejected but banned.

So what do you want? Happy families sitting down only saying nice things and only thinking pure thoughts or do you want an atmosphere?

true

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a shame that Bmuff fans are outsinging us today, the ref hasn't helped, but right now the players would probably appreciate a bit more encouragement from the fans, can't be that nice out there at the moment.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bournemouth fans are not the 12th man today , the ref is.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've not read much of this thread since the match yesterday, so don't know if it has been mentioned, but I was disappointed with the way the anger and sense of injustice that fired up the crowd for five minutes dissapated so easily, so quickly. Sure they remembered to boo the ref off, but for most of the game seemed to just accept it. Was quite disappointed by that, personally.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
A few others and i were disgusted at the idiot who clearly knows nothing about football in block C WSL, who normally intent on abusing Ashley Barnes and couldn't as he didn't do much wrong turned his anger/frustration at Liam. Now we all know he didn't play well yesterday and yes his mind probably wasn't focused 100% which was clear to see but this idiot decided to shout "your not wearing red and white yet Bridcutt you f****** pr**k". So called fans will have some desired affect on players if they actually heard what was said about them and if we want Liam and alike to stay things like this won't help any promotion / playoff push. If there is anything i have learnt in 34 years supporting the Albion is just support your team and what will be will be.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Huh, agree the ref was awful, but our fans are awful as well, no support, and got on their toes on 84 mins......laughed when we scored the equaliser......cheered and celebrated with many empty seats around me. Piss poor really.
If only our fans will realise they should be the 12th man with some active participation in vocal support instead of sitting there like lemons.

I've not read much of this thread since the match yesterday, so don't know if it has been mentioned, but I was disappointed with the way the anger and sense of injustice that fired up the crowd for five minutes dissapated so easily, so quickly. Sure they remembered to boo the ref off, but for most of the game seemed to just accept it. Was quite disappointed by that, personally.
Yesterday , the "Great Escape" song would have fizzled out after 30 seconds.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i like a sing song with the best of them , it is however rather un-nerving singing your lungs out for five minutes then sitting back down with a couple of oap's one side of you and a mother and daughter on the other.......a singing section is a must at the Amex......it is difficult to get anything going with all the voices spread through a largely non - singing crowd......i have only been to the Amex four times but that is my experience/observation/opinion.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sounds like, in the absence of Rev's singing, the Albion players could finally get some peace and quiet to focus on scoring in the final few minutes.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If only our fans will realise they should be the 12th man

The 12th man is a myth, like the tooth fairy and Santa Claus. As El Presidente has suggested, if there is an impact that fans can have on players, it is by a much smaller margin than that you'd get with an actual extra player in every home game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No-one's agreeing, are they?

Eagles 1 actually agreed with my post in this thread. I still think it's relevant, as yesterday demonstrated, as Acker, for instance, has articulated on this page of this thread. We need to recognise that at times we don't help the team, that we could do more, and that recognising this might actually help the team. NSC is great as a discussion site, but it can also be more than that, as a vehicle to assist the team, although I haven't witnessed too many occasions where this attribute has been brought into fruition.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here