Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Nigel Farage end up a great British political leader?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is what I said:

I agree that getting our young into work would be a good thing. But why blame immigrants, when the real reason is that we don't care about unemployment any more. Go back forty years, and figures of a quarter of million would be considered as a crisis. Now our Coalition politicians are busy congratulating themselves that it's diminished by tens of thousands to about 2.4 million. And that's with the dodgy way in which they've been calculating it since Thatcher came in.

It was in response to you saying:

That is probably the biggest reason I stopped voting for Labour, stupid people who associate a cap on immigration as being Xenophobic, Racist and Bigotted. A cap on immgration would be a good thing. One of the reasons would be a good chance for this country to catch up, and get some our young people in to work.

I hate to point it out but what makes a question obvious is the question mark - I can't see one in your post.

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
if he keeps that quiet how do you know about it?

I think its well known and very much in the public domain.

I think you are a little confused about Farage's views on immigration.

He can't be very xenophobic if he is married to a German woman, I would guess.

I saw Nigel Farage on TV this week complaining about being on a train and there were no English accents. Presumably he was with his wife?! I think his thinly veiled xenophobia is to win votes.

I cannot make out what his views on immigration are. (Actually I don't really care as they are all a bit odd) Are we going to ethnically cleanse the UK when UKIP are the party in power?

D

Deleted member 22389

I saw Nigel Farage on TV this week complaining about being on a train and there were no English accents. Presumably he was with his wife?! I think his thinly veiled xenophobia is to win votes.

I cannot make out what his views on immigration are. (Actually I don't really care as they are all a bit odd) Are we going to ethnically cleanse the UK when UKIP are the party in power?

So do you currently live or have you lived in a proper multicultural town yourself? I lived in Luton for 10 years. Over that time most of the English people sold up and moved out of the area. The houses where then rented out or bought by Indians, Pakistanis, Nigerians, Ghanaians, Polish, Romanians. Now when you see the road change at the rate I did, you either like it, embrace it, learn from it, or you are left feeling like an outsider. That is how I genuinly felt, like an outsider. May be there are people on this board that live in proper multicultural towns and like it, best of luck to them, but I couldn't embrace it, is that really so bad? Unless yourself have or currently live in a proper multicultural you really won't get how some people feel about it and statements like ethnically cleanse the UK are bloody ridicolous.

Last edited by a moderator:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You should probably brush up on your politics and what each party is proposing with regards to immigration before posting.Just a thought.......but if you dont care anyway........why bother posting at all?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If I start my day off and all the way thorough, I think of immigration and the EU. Then I try to associate how these two issues are affecting my ordinary day. They don't! In fact on most occasions these two issues that ukip is against, actually have a positive effect on my day to day.
So really Farage just comes out blowing the same old rhetoric. We should make our laws etc etc.. It's all bull. We do make our own laws. Yet also big businesses have a lot of EU laws to comply with. Those usually are in place to protect workers and their rights. So really the EU laws many complain of, have a positive on anybody that is employed by a company. If ukip got its way, many of these laws would go and a very fast race to the bottom of poverty would start for many. Rupert Murdoch's newspapers don't like the EU as friends of his and his corporate chums, would love EU law to be scrapped in exchange for boards and bosses to slash pay and rights of employees. This is why the negative EU press is given so much airtime.

In my view, many that vote ukip are utterly blinkered and blind as the two issues of immigration and the EU seem to control them in some sort of patriotic brainwashing. These two issues do not have a negative impact on the majority of the public, yet some middle class housewife has the need to stick a ukip sticker on her bmw, I bet she doesn't really know why.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... We should make our laws etc etc.. It's all bull. We do make our own laws. Yet also big businesses have a lot if EU laws to comply with. Those usually are in place to protect workers and their rights. So really the EU laws many complain of, have a positive on anybody that is employed by a company.

EU impact goes far beyond employment law. so much of legislation today is dictated to by EU legislation we've either signed up to or been imposed through back door structures. consider the topical matter of energy: the EU has imposed upon all members restrictions on the amount of carbon that can be produced with the usual stick of "tax 'em" as the only remedy. to protect interests of energy-intensive heavy industry, they dont have to reduce their carbon, and have a lower tax (or none). so households have to reduce consumption more so we meet the target, and shoulder more tax. sound fair? upshot is that rather than design and invest in carbon efficiency or cleaning emissions (very doable), we are forced to abandon coal and gas, moving to expensive inefficient green alternatives that require a subsidy. so we are charged a tax, then another to subsidise alternatives, mandated from Brussels. meanwhile, there's no incentive to improve established plant and the biggest users dont have to do anything at all.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
If I start my day off and all the way thorough, I think of immigration and the EU. Then I try to associate how these two issues are affecting my ordinary day. They don't! In fact on most occasions these two issues that ukip is against, actually have a positive effect on my day to day.
So really Farage just comes out blowing the same old rhetoric. We should make our laws etc etc.. It's all bull. We do make our own laws. Yet also big businesses have a lot of EU laws to comply with. Those usually are in place to protect workers and their rights. So really the EU laws many complain of, have a positive on anybody that is employed by a company. If ukip got its way, many of these laws would go and a very fast race to the bottom of poverty would start for many. Rupert Murdoch's newspapers don't like the EU as friends of his and his corporate chums, would love EU law to be scrapped in exchange for boards and bosses to slash pay and rights of employees. This is why the negative EU press is given so much airtime.

In my view, many that vote ukip are utterly blinkered and blind as the two issues of immigration and the EU seem to control them in some sort of patriotic brainwashing. These two issues do not have a negative impact on the majority of the public, yet some middle class housewife has the need to stick a ukip sticker on her bmw, I bet she doesn't really know why.

You are wrong, you ARE affected, you are either blind or ignorant.

Just take tax for example and that it is now the norm that we pay tax rates for the UK Govt and now an additional rate for the EU, so effectively we are taxed twice. On VAT for example I understand 2.5% goes to the EU. Are you OK with that? Were you consulted? Everything you buy that is subject to VAT is more expensive thanks to the EU.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...tion/vat/how_vat_works/rates/vat_rates_en.pdf

And there is more, much much more coming........

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/aviation-transport.qxj

When Nick Clegg said we were all "richer" for being in the EU, if he meant wealthier then he was lying.

D

Deleted member 22389

Actually there is a big link between migration and the EU. In Luton it was quite normal to see To Let signs written in Polish, and these places where naturally occupied with workers from Poland. Immigration from Eastern Europe and those EU rules go hand in hand. Before 2004 we hardly had any Eastern Europeans working here, but in 2004 Poland joined the EU, and that was at the same time when the Labour party started allowing people to come over here. Didn't they say we would only get 13,000 people a year coming here to work? Well they made a mistake on the numbers didn't they, and the problem occurs if you need to get a job, it's obviously means there is more competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I hate to point it out but what makes a question obvious is the question mark - I can't see one in your post.

With you on this one...
... but I still haven't got a response, despite evidence of subsequent activity on this thread...
... does this mean that I have to repost the reposted post, and include requisite punctuation to elicit a response?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So do you currently live or have you lived in a proper multicultural town yourself? I lived in Luton for 10 years. Over that time most of the English people sold up and moved out of the area. The houses where then rented out or bought by Indians, Pakistanis, Nigerians, Ghanaians, Polish, Romanians. Now when you see the road change at the rate I did, you either like it, embrace it, learn from it, or you are left feeling like an outsider. That is how I genuinly felt, like an outsider. May be there are people on this board that live in proper multicultural towns and like it, best of luck to them, but I couldn't embrace it, is that really so bad? Unless yourself have or currently live in a proper multicultural you really won't get how some people feel about it and statements like ethnically cleanse the UK are bloody ridicolous.

UKIP are actually in a bit of a bind on immigration, because they seek to blame immigration in its entirety on the EU, whereas the EU is only responsible for one-third of the immigrants in your list.
But while we're on the subject, do you accept that the extant UK population is ageing, both in terms of numbers and longevity and this situation means that we need to seek measures to amend the ratio such that there are sufficient workers to care for and service the ageing and retired population?

D

Deleted member 22389

UKIP are actually in a bit of a bind on immigration, because they seek to blame immigration in its entirety on the EU, whereas the EU is only responsible for one-third of the immigrants in your list.
But while we're on the subject, do you accept that the extant UK population is ageing, both in terms of numbers and longevity and this situation means that we need to seek measures to amend the ratio such that there are sufficient workers to care for and service the ageing and retired population?

Actually on that point I do agree with the ageing population issue, someone has got to pay for it. But why has the focus switched to this, it never seemed to be an issue before. Is it because our governments have wasted so much money?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So a party that has a leader that has a foreign wife, black and Asian candidates for the upcoming elections, is a racist party because it feels that this country has enough inhabitants....hmmm.
Just say a nightclub (or Dicks Bar) will fit in about 500 people. With 300 in the place you can get a drink easily, move around without too much trouble etc.
The place gets it's full quota of 500 and the queues start, jostling to get around the place etc.
Now outside there are people queuing to get in, they may be black, white, British, foreign etc....they are not being allowed in because the place is full.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Actually on that point I do agree with the ageing population issue, someone has got to pay for it. But why has the focus switched to this, it never seemed to be an issue before. Is it because our governments have wasted so much money?

The focus has switched to this, because it's only recently become an issue, and will become more of an issue into the future.
It's got nothing to do with governments spending too much money. This is an utter myth perpetrated by Osborne, Farage and all others who are more interested in serving the interests of the financial sector rather than the majority of 'hard-working families', or whatever term resonates currently.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Ohh some big quotes there. I never said the EU was perfect, just that Farage's ramblings are just hot air and scaremongering.

On a broad point, yes you can pick at the EU a bit here and a bit there. Carbon tax? Is that really hammering people at the moment? I could point out loads of inequalities from the uk government and all it's political parties.
Immigration is something that cannot be reversed, so moaning about past failings is not going to change those failings.
Do some of you seriously think that leaving the EU will reduce your tax? Stop unfair laws? Solve our energy crisis? The Tories, Lib dems, labour or ukip are gonna put these things right that the EU had supposedly screwed up for us?
Like somehow our own political parties would have done soo much better without the EU?
Nonsense. And immigration in Luton, where Immigrants from India, Pakistan and North Africa were mentioned, where are they in Europe?
Leaving the EU will hit workers, jobs, the economy hard. But yes, there may be some sort of carbon tax indirectly applied, I know it's a sacrifice worth making.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Electoral Commission to write to UKIP to "seek clarification" about Nigel Farage's constituency office after Times allegations

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
So a party that has a leader that has a foreign wife, black and Asian candidates for the upcoming elections, is a racist party because it feels that this country has enough inhabitants....hmmm.

The reason that I, and many other people consider them a racist party, is because, as you know very well, the party has gained thousands of racist supporters....Where are the BNP supporters nowadays?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The reason that I, and many other people consider them a racist party, is because, as you know very well, the party has gained thousands of racist supporters....Where are the BNP supporters nowadays?

I would love to see the factual basis behind this assertion, especially given your current geographical location.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Electoral Commission to write to UKIP to "seek clarification" about Nigel Farage's constituency office after Times allegations

I see your obsession is still ongoing.

a) The Times - a Tory supporting paper and UKIP are eating into who's support mainly ? Hmm .....
b) Please detail which UKIP policies are racist ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
A) More tomorrow...maybe Farage will sue this Tory supporting Newspaper hmmm ?

B) I didnt say they had a racist policy. I said the party was full of racists...guess what. Im not the only one who thinks that.

Anything else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here