Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of living football consumption intentions

Will you change what you spend on football given economic conditions?

• STH - I am considering defaulting this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STH - I am considering not renewing next season

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • Member - I will still go to football but less

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Member – I will stop going to football

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • All – I will go but buy less in shop and concourse

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • My behaviour won’t change

Votes: 105 61.0%
  • I’ll try and go more to take my mind off all this

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Fortunately in a position to carry on with my ST. I love going and having a few beers with mates. Will be totally gutted if it ever gets to the stage when I can't afford to renew. Really feel for those who feel they have to give up because of the increased cost of living that none of us have any control over.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No change, I'm in the fortunate position of no mortgage, private pension.

To ensure this stays the same, I've told the wife she can put the heating on as a Christmas present.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You mean 'Weststander' doesn't always apply? :wink:

I know …. that was from Amex opening for about 3 or 4 seasons. My young son gave up very early on ….. he’d been brought up on an unrealistic Withdean diet of wins and goals under Slade and Poyet. So he got down-hearted by the Championship reality of a very different Poyet, slow passing around the back, very rarely scoring, infrequent home wins. I carried on until Garcia, then threw in the towel too.

Hughton gave us back our mojo.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We’re in Zone B (just), so tickets average £34/game, but matchday price in our block tomorrow (Cat A obviously) is £52. ST essentially gives you between 2-3 games per season. I think you’re right…….I pay for junior’s ticket as well, the monthly DD kind of just goes, don’t know whether I’d be consciously so prepared to drop £150 once a fortnight (including food, drinks, travel etc) if each game was a new decision.

In the same block from memory, it’s ok at the minute but a jump once junior becomes 10 on top of seagulls travel for the both of us.

If his younger brother wants to start coming as well I suspect it’s the north west family corner for us!

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
It’s shameful what has happened to the game which has now priced out large parts of society who just cannot afford or justify the costs of attending.

Yet no sign of it changing as each year regardless of what happens in the world around it football continues to pour ever increasing amounts into agents and player pockets.

Personally I think the away price cap should be extended to home match’s to protect the accessibility of football to the communities they have always been part.

Sadly it's going to take a major drop in attendances for a prolonged period before anything will change. The global TV audience are way more important to club balance sheets than us who actually attend. But the product that the Premier League sell will reduce in value if empty seats are increasingly broadcast around the world...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very true. Come across so many that always want to talk about Albion and when pushed they say dont attend because they cant afford or justify the cost. Many will say thats life but I think it is a great shame.

No longer a game for the “working class man”, at least not at this level but I guess non League local clubs are benefitting. Real shame though especially when Albion is a first love.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know …. that was from Amex opening for about 3 or 4 seasons. My young son gave up very early on ….. he’d been brought up on an unrealistic Withdean diet of wins and goals under Slade and Poyet. So he got down-hearted by the Championship reality of a very different Poyet, slow passing around the back, very rarely scoring, infrequent home wins. I carried on until Garcia, then threw in the towel too.

Hughton gave us back our mojo.

CH in the Championship gave me some of my best Albion memories, the first season in the PL was OK but by the time of the Saints home game in our second season I had lost my mojo completely. I had to force myself to attend the Cardiff and Bournemouth games and it’s fair to say I fell out of love with football after those three games. Potter, even with the shite results reinvigorated my love, hence my undying support during that time :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
CH in the Championship gave me some of my best Albion memories, the first season in the PL was OK but by the time of the Saints home game in our second season I had lost my mojo completely. I had to force myself to attend the Cardiff and Bournemouth games and it’s fair to say I fell out of love with football after those three games. Potter, even with the shite results reinvigorated my love, hence my undying support during that time :shrug:

I once totted up the number of Amex home Championship wins and goals scored under Poyet and Garcia, the numbers were sh@t. Goodness knows how we made the playoffs in 2013 and 2014 … I’d guess a low points bar, sound defence and decent away form.

CH and Kayal joining in a few weeks, was the game-changer for me, the beginning of wonderful times to visit the Amex.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
By the voting, we clearly have plenty of fans with a fair wedge of disposable income.
Either that or they haven't fully factored in how much their outgoings will be increasing by with inflation, energy bills, food, interest rates etc.
Although in fairness we all need something to look forward to.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm an STH and am fortunate enough that I can afford to renew without thinking much about it. I don't go to many away games either.

Bound to be a lot of people who have to prioritise though and don't renew.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't know.

If my lad wants to carry on, we'll find a way I guess.

I'd hate to lose it again.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just updating as just realised I’ve now been smoke free for 7 weeks and have essentially saved the cost of my season ticket.

Finally got to the stage where I find cigarette smell disgusting, having enjoyed it considerably for c20 years.

A great incentive to quit now as everything else is going up 👍🏻

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
No change for me.

Whilst I am a mature gentleman I do not have any committments other than a mortgage and a vinyl habit. All the while I am working and healthy (two things I do not take lightly) I will continue to

For 3-4 years pre covid , I was buying a vinyl every two weeks or so, taking me back to my childhood when a Saturdays shopping trip always resulted in a new album. I could regularly buy something that interested me for £15-20. My logic was that as I already had the original vinyls of the stuff I really liked from my childhood (Bowie, Kraftwerk, JMJarre etc) , I would now buy stuff I knew at the time, but wasn’t really into before, just to expand my repertoire so to speak. The first trip into a record shop post Covid everything seemed to have gone up 50% or more , so I have put the buying on hold for the time being as it’s just not value for money at the moment imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For 3-4 years pre covid , I was buying a vinyl every two weeks or so, taking me back to my childhood when a Saturdays shopping trip always resulted in a new album. I could regularly buy something that interested me for £15-20. My logic was that as I already had the original vinyls of the stuff I really liked from my childhood (Bowie, Kraftwerk, JMJarre etc) , I would now buy stuff I knew at the time, but wasn’t really into before, just to expand my repertoire so to speak. The first trip into a record shop post Covid everything seemed to have gone up 50% or more , so I have put the buying on hold for the time being as it’s just not value for money at the moment imo.
I have also noticed prices have crept up. I guess you buy a lot of re-issues like I do, and these can be ridiculously priced when they’re released (cash in) as 180g half-speed mastered double albums….JMJarre has re-released a Concerts in China this week for 33 quid.

It’s an interesting point you make about childhood. It takes me back to my carefree youth when I would spend my pocket money in the record stores of Newhaven, Lewes and Seaford. @Psychobilly freakout still puts his spare change in a jar and once full empties it to buy a record….something he’s done since his teens. You’re not alone!

You’re comment about value reminded me of this….
A8B0231B-2E09-46C7-9D9F-22C8B2C1C417.jpeg
A7D493EC-CAD1-41DA-A9B9-8CB7CC66A337.jpeg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The only change I intend to make is away games. That is mainly down to not knowing when the train strikes are so not being able to plan ahead

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Somewhat counter to the general tone of this thread, my sons and I have been Albion+ members for the last few seasons and attended a handful of games per season, but am now considering getting half-season tickets if they become available - the ones for my sons would be Christmas presents.
Dear reader, I bought them.

I've gone for the cheapest category (North Stand) and grandparents have kindly agreed to give the boys' tickets as presents, so not too much of an outlay.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We've (wife & I) not taken our big holiday this year mainly due to cost. A £3000 pre covid caribbean holiday is now £6000. But I'd never give up the Albion, although I am in the camp of them (the entire EPL lot) not giving a damn about supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here