Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of living football consumption intentions

Will you change what you spend on football given economic conditions?

• STH - I am considering defaulting this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STH - I am considering not renewing next season

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • Member - I will still go to football but less

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Member – I will stop going to football

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • All – I will go but buy less in shop and concourse

Votes: 23 13.4%
  • My behaviour won’t change

Votes: 105 61.0%
  • I’ll try and go more to take my mind off all this

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I appreciate this thread could go political or go "considerably richer than yow" but that's not the intention.

Assuming that the cost of living continues to rise thanks to inflation and interest rates, are you going to have to change your football consumption behaviour? I have a good mate who's said to me that just a £200 rise in overall monthly costs will see him not renew and actually have to consider defaulting this season. Can't be the only one?

Poll coming as fast as I can type it. I know NSC is an older and small demographic but generally older people have more money but also more other commitments. It might help the club to plan for what's coming if we can anonymously signal purchase intentions, assuming the current trajectory continues over winter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s complicated. Cost of living is not the only thing driving our reduction in spending. It is undoubtedly a factor but will affect people a lot more if they are mortgaged to the hilt and have young kids.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Won’t change, but I’ve never gone large on buying stuff on the concourse or the club shop.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I gave up my ST after many years at the end of last season. This was partly a financial decision, related to the cost of living crisis...how little we knew then...

I can't justify paying Category A ticket prices, so won't be going to the Spurs game, but I'll be there for Forest.

I have seen more Lewes games than Albion this season, and this will remain the case.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We'll still go, but there might be less food purchased for the Bobkin Jnrs...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How far has PL football come detached from its supporters? players earning millions, some fans struggling to pay to watch these millionaires kicking a ball around.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Binned off the season ticket this season and spent some of the money saved on Sky Sports, as soon as that contract is up I'll be binning that off as well. Radio for me and I can't see me attending any games in the near future.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Carrying on regardless, mostly because football is pretty much the only thing I do socially now. Been all the aways bar one so far but that might slow down as the season goes if it becomes too expensive.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
My season ticket is the only money I earn that I spend uniquely on me each month, and being physically present at a game is the only time that's mine, literally everything else is family or work. Even if I go to an away game the family come to the town/city and go shopping or day out while I'm at the match. It's not over dramatic to say that my mental health needs my couple of hours at the Amex just for me, I can almost feel the mental decompression as I approach the ground. Just for that reason if nothing else I think it'd be the very last thing I gave up, and I recognise that's a very fortunate position to be in compared to so many.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm due a geriatric discount next season, but having voted 'no change' I may give up my second ticket, albeit not particularly for financial reasons.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Will continue as usual for home games - just a pie and a cuppa (sometimes pint of Guinness). Having said that I binned off my Seagulls Travel season ticket this year and trying to get to all games 'FREE'. Looking to cycle tomorrow but need to check I have lights that will work as will be loosing light for journey home and certainly a good idea to be seen from behind anyway.

What I will be giving up this year is the number of away games I attend compared to last few years. By the time you add cost of ticket, travel, food and drink over a long day ... it all adds up and you can easily do £100!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Voted not to change.
I try to limit what I spend once in the ground as I have an 'always hungry' son, but that is dependent on the game up to a point. A 5.30 kick off is a pain in the arse as we won't get to eat before we go, and i have a working gig straight after. This means pies at the game. Other kick off times are less of a problem as we can eat at home.
I don't tend to drink at games as we go on a motorcycle and even though i'll have a pint if i'm on my own, I won't if the boy is on the back.

As yet, the cost of living crisis hasn't really hit us other than seeing our weekly food bill rise and we can manage that at the mo. Our mortgage and utilities are all on fixed rates for the time being, and whilst motor fuel costs are ludicrously high most of my mileage is business and covered by the company

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How far has PL football come detached from its supporters? players earning millions, some fans struggling to pay to watch these millionaires kicking a ball around.

It’s shameful what has happened to the game which has now priced out large parts of society who just cannot afford or justify the costs of attending.

Yet no sign of it changing as each year regardless of what happens in the world around it football continues to pour ever increasing amounts into agents and player pockets.

Personally I think the away price cap should be extended to home match’s to protect the accessibility of football to the communities they have always been part.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No change for me.

Whilst I am a mature gentleman I do not have any committments other than a mortgage and a vinyl habit. All the while I am working and healthy (two things I do not take lightly) I will continue to go.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
A home game costs me about £300 for 2 of us including overnight accommodation and Diesel so,we just take in 2 per season now.

Away games in the Midlands and Oop north are still tough to budget for but I think we did 4 last season still about £150 per game.

Neither of us drink so imagine the cost if we liked a glass of Chardonnay with our Salmon Souffle Crisps.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Got rid of ST a few years ago, not just due to cost but other factors such as constantly changing k.o. times, travel issues, and VAR.

Have been going regularly to non league football on Saturdays which I honestly find far more enjoyable, cheaper, and easier to get to.

With the price of Premier League football, there is no question in these hard times a luxury such as this, holidays, nights out etc can be binned to help reduce our spending.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a shame that the ups of watching PL football seem to driving away a number of long time fans who were there through the dark days, due to the frankly obscene costs when all expenses related to a match day are taken into account.

We are gaining new better off fans but we are losing some real diehards :down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are gaining new fans but we are losing some real diehards :down:

And if away games are anything to go by, a sizable number of these new fans are complete bell-ends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here