Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking steak tonight and I always get it wrong

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There we differ, I never turn mine more than once.

Very hot pan, no oil ( If you want to use oil, then oil the steak and not the pan ).
Season the steak.

Medium = 3 minutes each side
Medium/Well = 4 minutes each side
Well = 5 minutes each side

Leave to rest for at least 5 minutes. Based on a steak the thickness as mentioned.

This is about right, although:
-- NAN needs to add blue, rare and medium-rare to that list, with about 30 seconds, one minute and 100 seconds per side respectively
-- SB ought to investigate the delights of R&R: ribeye and rump

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks chaps

Hot pan, which panicked me into cooking a rare steak instead of medium rare.
Oiled steak.
2 turns.
just over 2 1/2 mins cooking.
Plenty of rest.

As said there's still plenty of room for improvement but compared to usual abomination I dish up a solid 'C' grade.

You eat early.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Turn once and don't move it!

No more than 2 1/2 minutes (max) either side in a hot pan, season well before cooking (s & p), allow the meat to warm up a little towards room temp (if taking straight from the fridge).Perhaps a knob of butter for last 30 - 45 seconds (spoon over top of steak). Remove from heat and allow to rest for best part of 10 minutes. Dob of English mustard and a nice glass of red! Happy days!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You eat early.
That's not early in postie hours.
Plus today I did a fairly depleting ride, and was starving.

Not to mention if I hadn't eaten early I wouldn't have been able to sleep through the first half of commentary.

I can always rely on the goals to wake me up. :dunce:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Cooked well and the right way even a mediocre supermarket steak can come out well.

I always take out of the shrink wrap, pat dry and then season with salt and pepper while bringing up to room temperature as the salt draws out some of the moisture.

Then it's into a hot griddle pan and again oil the steak not the pan and place fat side down to sear the fat then cook in the conventional manner. Medium rare for me so two mins a side and then rest on a hot plate. Boom.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's not early in postie hours.
Plus today I did a fairly depleting ride, and was starving.

Not to mention if I hadn't eaten early I wouldn't have been able to sleep through the first half of commentary.

I can always rely on the goals to wake me up. :dunce:

No goals, but there was a goal. Did it work?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No goals, but there was a goal. Did it work?
I was getting ready for bed, with the intention of sleeping through the extra time commentary upstairs. :lol:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Get the pan hot and cook for 3 mins each side, rest for 3 mins, bloody lovely.
Especially when done on the barbecue griddle.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
dry ridged frying/griddle pan....... hot hot hot...... for standard sirloin ( 15-20mm thick), just 90 secs each side......rest for 5 - important bit -.... done deal

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It allows the meat to 'relax' after the heat of cooking,..... makes it more tender and moist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks chaps

Hot pan, which panicked me into cooking a rare steak instead of medium rare.
Oiled steak.
2 turns.
just over 2 1/2 mins cooking.
Plenty of rest.

As said there's still plenty of room for improvement but compared to usual abomination I dish up a solid 'C' grade.
As this is now my de facto steak cookery book.
Stat you need to hold your nerve and push the total cooking time out to nearer 3 mins.
2:45 is still too rare.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apply salt and pepper I minute each side in a very hot pan to seal it then put it in the oven that is keeping the saute potatoes , mushrooms and tomatoes hot for 2, 3 or 4 mins depending how you rare you want it. Then stand for 8 minutes then you dish up the rest of the meal and it will be perfect provided the steak is ok to start with. If it is cheap rough steak it will always be cheap rough steak no matter how you cook it unless braised.in beef stock and red wine.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I read a receipe from James Martin he said salt & pepper each side then 30secs each side in a hot pan then place in hot oven for 3. 4 or 5 mins depending on rare medium or well done. Then take out and leave to rest for 10 mins, this has never let me down. I always have steak rare irrespective of cut.

When my wife is cooking it she does as above having cooked the mushrooms and tomatoes and saute potatoes and puts them all in the oven while she deep fries the onion rings. Absolutely lovely.

You are making me hungry, can we come for dinner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here