Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conor Goldson take a bow

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Has been a little bit shit this season but a good player and probably playing in the PL (or strong Championship team) next season. Dont think it will be Villa though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Goldson trending on Twitter …. Not sure Rangers fans are overly happy with him this season

Funny lot up there. Player speaking out like that suggests leadership to me; I could imagine Roy Keane, Bryan Robson - or even Gerrard - doing the same in similar circumstances - it is a positive that he can speak out and show he cares, shirley?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bit of a no brainier for Gerrard - would be my preference over Mings. Mind you, anyone would be my preference over Mings.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Signing your ex-players usually means more trouble than advantage.

Also gives Gerrard a bit of a nasty look when the player refusing to sign a new deal follows him (probably very cheaply) to the next destination.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Also gives Gerrard a bit of a nasty look when the player refusing to sign a new deal follows him (probably very cheaply) to the next destination.

Signing ex players has worked out well for a lot of managers, especially when they first join a club as it means they can bring in a player they trust. Our success under Micky Adams when we first got to Withdean was built on a core of players he'd worked with at other clubs. They helped instill his ways into the playing squad and we won back to back championships with that group of players Adams built.

I also don't think it gives Gerrard a bit of a nasty look at all, if anything it says that Goldson loved worked with him and wants to do it again. That is a good look for a manager to have, players that know him still want to work with him, means he probably wasn't a cock to work under.

Goldson has been stalling on a new contract long before Stevie G left for Villa. It's football, it happens a lot. The other option is Rangers don't sell him to Villa in this transfer window and lose him for nothing in the summer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Goldson hadn't been stalling on a contract since last season, so no surprise. He was always going to go somewhere else I think

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Signing ex players has worked out well for a lot of managers, especially when they first join a club as it means they can bring in a player they trust. Our success under Micky Adams when we first got to Withdean was built on a core of players he'd worked with at other clubs. They helped instill his ways into the playing squad and we won back to back championships with that group of players Adams built.

I also don't think it gives Gerrard a bit of a nasty look at all, if anything it says that Goldson loved worked with him and wants to do it again. That is a good look for a manager to have, players that know him still want to work with him, means he probably wasn't a cock to work under.

Goldson has been stalling on a new contract long before Stevie G left for Villa. It's football, it happens a lot. The other option is Rangers don't sell him to Villa in this transfer window and lose him for nothing in the summer.

I have more understanding for it happening in past eras when signings was a lot more about connections than scouting networks. But sure, it works sometimes, Ricardo Carvalho probably made Jose Mourinho as much as Jose Mourinho made Ricardo Carvalho, to mention one example. But it puts pressure on the manager and the player. If Goldson arrives and Konsa ends up on the bench, if results then would deteriorate it can quickly turn into the not-so-healthy Moyes-Fellaini thing at Manchester United.

True that Goldson has been stalling his contract but still.. say GP signs for Melchester Rovers in the summer and Bissouma goes there next January... wouldnt be a good look IMO.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have more understanding for it happening in past eras when signings was a lot more about connections than scouting networks. But sure, it works sometimes, Ricardo Carvalho probably made Jose Mourinho as much as Jose Mourinho made Ricardo Carvalho, to mention one example. But it puts pressure on the manager and the player. If Goldson arrives and Konsa ends up on the bench, if results then would deteriorate it can quickly turn into the not-so-healthy Moyes-Fellaini thing at Manchester United.

True that Goldson has been stalling his contract but still.. say GP signs for Melchester Rovers in the summer and Bissouma goes there next January... wouldnt be a good look IMO.

It’s quite common in business for managers to bring in their own people. Just like in football a new manager, in say a bank, typically has two years to bring success. A lot of people prefer not to spend the first six months (a quarter of this grace period) trying to work out whether their new employees are any good.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Melchester don't need Biss. Just lump it up to Race, he'll do the rest.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

You might not think it's a good look but everyone would be of the opinion that Bissouma was excellent for Potter at Brighton so can see why he's signed him for Melchester.

You can look at every scenario and find examples of things that have worked and things that haven't. They say a player or manager should never re join a team he's been at previously as it's never as good as the first time round. The second stints of Alan Mullery and Micky Adams at Brighton prove that to be true, but the second time around for Glenn Murray, Steve Sidwell and Bobby Zamora (actually technically his second and third) prove that to be a load of nonsense.

Even outside of football people want to employ others they can trust. I've had a couple of managers I've worked for on multiple contracts for many different clients, they trust me to get the job, I see them as being someone decent to work for. There are also managers I'd never work for again. It happens in all walks of life, including football, people want to work with people they trust and rely on to do a job, that is a big reason to bring someone you've worked with before into a football club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Getting slaughtered on social media today as Rangers go from 2-0 up to 2-2 against Motherwell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here