Connor Wickham

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why do I keep hearing wickham is only loan? In return for bridcutt and bucker?

Who do you hear THAT from? People are saying money for Bridcutt and Buckley with Wickham's loan thrown in as a sweetner.

Not just Wickhams loan in swap for both Liam and Will :lolol:

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
..... is rarely seen. I have to wonder whether he doubts himself a bit now as well. Does he hold back from running flat out for fear of a hamstring going? For most of this season, he has looked like a player reluctant to knock the ball past the full back and trust his hamstrings to let him go flat out. It could have been that he was coming back before he was 100%, but I doubt we would do that to a player with his injury record.

Ryan Giggs solved his hamstring problems in 2 ways
1 yoga
2 he said he NEVER went flat out again
Giggs had many other qualities than his youthful pace
does Buckley?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Who do you hear THAT from? People are saying money for Bridcutt and Buckley with Wickham's loan thrown in as a sweetner.

Not just Wickhams loan in swap for both Liam and Will :lolol:

and if we do go by some stroke of fate then we might be able to buy him if he is any good

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Loan swap not really any good IMO unless a big wad comes our way as well. Just means we have all this hassle at the end of the season looking for a replacement

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
If it's not a permenant move, it's no deal from me.

We'd receive less than we should (in £££) for Bridcutt and Buckles for 4 months use of Wickham. That is not an acceptable compromise at all. Not unless they're paying pretty much full whack (£1m to £2m short of our valuation perhaps) anyway, which begs the question, "Why not just pay the extra million(s)?"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This CW theory started on here and was then taken on by the Sunderland forum, then tweeted by some journo in Yorkshire, and now Naylor has joined in the speculation.

It doesn't make any sense for Bloom to complicate the negotiations in player contra deals with Poyet.

If this was an offer Gus was trying to pull off the worst thing we could respond with is saying “that’s a great idea thank you, what do you want from us?” The best response would be “no let’s concentrate on Bridcutt and not get side tracked.”

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
And then if Sunderland get relegated, next season they will tear up the championship using Bridcutt, Buckley and Wickham! Doesn't bear thinking about.

I'd rather they pay cash only for Bridcutt personally and use the money elsewhere. We have CMS and Hoskins back very soon as well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ryan Giggs solved his hamstring problems in 2 ways
1 yoga
2 he said he NEVER went flat out again
Giggs had many other qualities than his youthful pace
does Buckley?

I think pace is his major quality, when combined with his physical size. What a combination that is for full backs. But without the pace, the size means nothing. He's a good finisher, but often needs the pace to get into that position.

Hopefully he can cure it, and get over the mental anguish of risking the hamstrings by going flat out. But change his game and "never go flat out again" would see him in League One I'm afraid. It is such an important part of his game.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I'd rather they pay cash only for Bridcutt personally and use the money elsewhere. We have CMS and Hoskins back very soon as well.

Yeah me too, and the fee we want is what they pay, I don't buy this crap that they can't afford what we are asking, they are splashing the cash elsewhere, and next season if they are relegated they will be another team we can't compete with.

Cough up Gus or go get the other defensive midfielder you want, the choice is yours.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
This CW theory started on here and was then taken on by the Sunderland forum, then tweeted by some journo in Yorkshire, and now Naylor has joined in the speculation.

It doesn't make any sense for Bloom to complicate the negotiations in player contra deals with Poyet.

If this was an offer Gus was trying to pull off the worst thing we could respond with is saying “that’s a great idea thank you, what do you want from us?” The best response would be “no let’s concentrate on Bridcutt and not get side tracked.”

Yes but I imagine the whole Connor Wickham thing has come about because Sunderland have a limited transfer pot i.e. their cash offers at the beginning of the month may have been all they had, and both clubs are looking for creative ways of making the deal happen. Lets be honest I think we need CW more than we do Bridders and Buckers these days.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I think it's been the injuries that have caused the inconsistency though.

I am only talking about a full fit Buckley, anything else is a poor shadow.

But IF we can get him fit, I would love to keep him.

For his 1 in 8 he's fantastic, however I feel that having hamstrings made of glass will be his downfall.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Bridcutt and Buckley going to Sunderland, and then us just loaning Wickham is not an option! With that scenario we lose 2 of our best players, and then would have to give back Wickham at the end of the season, which in itself would be another plus for Sunderland as they'd have a player coming back to them with more first team experience than when he left. No part of that deal is a negative for Sunderland. If they want 2 of our players that badly then they need to either pay us a very decent fee, give us Connor Wickham, or combination of the 2. I trust TB to sort this, but would be very annoyed if we lost Buckley and Bridcutt for a reduced fee simply because we got to borrow Wickham for 6months.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who's that man on loan from Sunderland?
Who's that man we adore?
Connor Wickham is his name
and he scores a goal a game
and no-one mentions Leo any more...

probably

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To Suspicious minds.

Wickham can stay forever, If Poyet don't mind. (poyet don't mind)
And he can fulfil our dreams, if Poyet don't mind

Or Karma Chameleon (spelling?)

Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Wickham
He scores some goals.
He scores some goals.

To "I'm a Scat man".

Connor WickhAM!
be da be da ba do
Da ba da ba doh
Be bab ba da ba do
Connor Wickham.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I swear you have gone mad this afternoon ;-)

To Suspicious minds.

Or Karam Chameleon (spelling?)

He scores some goals.
He scores some goals.

To "I'm a Scat man".

Connor WickhAM!
be da be da ba do
Da ba da ba doh
Be bab ba da ba do
Connor Wickham.

its catching :lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
To Suspicious minds.

Or Karam Chameleon (spelling?)

He scores some goals.
He scores some goals.

To "I'm a Scat man".

Connor WickhAM!
be da be da ba do
Da ba da ba doh
Be bab ba da ba do
Connor Wickham.

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Who's that man on loan from teeside
Who's that man we cant afford
Connor Wickham is his name
Getting splinters is his game
He is shit compared to Leo furthermore....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports