Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Connolly

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I must admit that I was a bit perplexed as to why Connolly got the nod ahead of MacAllister, but that little lay off to Maupay for the winner was a beaut. He’s still inexperienced and raw but he’s got a bit about him.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Potter doesn't seem to be getting much credit and actually got a 1 from someone in the ratings thread, but whether it was luck or judgment, soaking up the pressure early on then switching formation and bringing a bit more energy up top with Connolly paid dividends eventually.

I like Connolly and think he will become a very good player who we may struggle to keep hold of in the long term. He has all the physical attributes, the build, agility, pace and strength but just needs to polish off some of his technical attributes and his finishing. It'll come with time.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good enough already to play a support role off the bench in Prem but you wonder if starting every game for a Championship team on loan like Ben White has seemingly done would have a bigger effect on him. Depends if we keep and trust Andone which I'm guessing we won't and if we think Murray is a 2nd or 3rd option.

Have to sign one more striker to be able to loan him out too given our lack of depth. Seems like that's been our main need for about 10 seasons in a row though.

Ideally he would have had a tough season in the Championship to hone but our forward signings weren’t good enough. He’s played vital roles in our wins against Spurs, Everton and now today, that’s 3 out of our 7 wins. He has the X-factor, something happens when he is on the pitch, he gets shots off - he should play a full role in the run-in - Id love a starting front 2 of him and Maupay with Mac Allister playing off them. Gross and Murray are not quite up to it any more and Trossard’s form fitful

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m another vote for loan him out to the championship next season - but to the right club and team - preferably one who will be top 6. Or saying that, weren’t Celtic linked previously? That would be a good move if he got game time as he’d see a lot of the ball and get chances... I really rate him but he needs some time to develop in the long term. 6 month loan would be fine. Shame Andone seems a bad egg as with him Maupay and one other we’d probably have the cover for the first half of the season at least.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he's one of those players. I remember watching him (on a stream) a couple of times for the U 23s. He didn't seem to do anything other than score...

Plus he's a young kid with more than is probably fair being put on him. Ideally he should be brought on slowly, 15-20 minutes here and there and the odd start.

That said there are times when it looks like him and Maupay could forge a really good partnership.

And he looks a bit like MacAllister, who looks like he might be a really good player, so...

Saved me typing.
All of this, especially the U23 bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Potter doesn't seem to be getting much credit and actually got a 1 from someone in the ratings thread, but whether it was luck or judgment, soaking up the pressure early on then switching formation and bringing a bit more energy up top with Connolly paid dividends eventually.

I like Connolly and think he will become a very good player who we may struggle to keep hold of in the long term. He has all the physical attributes, the build, agility, pace and strength but just needs to polish off some of his technical attributes and his finishing. It'll come with time.

Thought he got the selection wrong and to a certain extent the tactics as well, however his great strength is his reading of the game, and ability to switch things about.

His substitutions were excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’m another vote for loan him out to the championship next season - but to the right club and team - preferably one who will be top 6. Or saying that, weren’t Celtic linked previously? That would be a good move if he got game time as he’d see a lot of the ball and get chances... I really rate him but he needs some time to develop in the long term. 6 month loan would be fine. Shame Andone seems a bad egg as with him Maupay and one other we’d probably have the cover for the first half of the season at least.

It would be too much of a step down and no challenge for him playing up front for a dominant team in a league where defenders are of a level that even Jon Obika scores goals. I could get goals playing for Celtic.

Championship team would be a better option, but not someone massive, otherwise his head will get turned, like Ben White’s has, and we’d be obliged to bow down at the alter of their massiveness and let him leave for free.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Ideally he would have had a tough season in the Championship to hone but our forward signings weren’t good enough. He’s played vital roles in our wins against Spurs, Everton and now today, that’s 3 out of our 7 wins. He has the X-factor, something happens when he is on the pitch, he gets shots off - he should play a full role in the run-in - Id love a starting front 2 of him and Maupay with Mac Allister playing off them. Gross and Murray are not quite up to it any more and Trossard’s form fitful

oh.... and he's irish :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I wish I was amazed at how many people can't see that, but sadly I'm not.

This squad can't (yet) tippy-tap it's way through the oppositions defence, for 90 mins.
The squad needs to be a resolute wall, for much of the game before unleashing the flair, normally because the resolute wall wasn't so resolute.

I'm no fan of Mooy and Gross, together.
But at least yesterday it wasn't Mooy, Gross, Stephens and Murray.
Which shows a level of conservatism I wasn't expecting from GPott and I think does rather let him down.

Like it or not, the player rating thread suggests not, Gross did a very important job yesterday, setting up the win.

He's becoming the grit in the oyster.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It would be too much of a step down and no challenge for him playing up front for a dominant team in a league where defenders are of a level that even Jon Obika scores goals. I could get goals playing for Celtic.

Championship team would be a better option, but not someone massive, otherwise his head will get turned, like Ben White’s has, and we’d be obliged to bow down at the alter of their massiveness and let him leave for free.

Is that sarcasm re Ben White? I haven’t really read anything on it for months?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is that sarcasm re Ben White? I haven’t really read anything on it for months?

Yes, sorry I’ve been perusing non-BHA boards and social media far more over the last 3 months than usual, and the general narrative from their fans is that Leeds have made him the player he is and that he’d refuse to come back to us next year after playing in a stadium that holds 10% more fans than the Amex.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yes, sorry I’ve been perusing non-BHA boards and social media far more over the last 3 months than usual, and the general narrative from their fans is that Leeds have made him the player he is and that he’d refuse to come back to us next year after playing in a stadium that holds 10% more fans than the Amex.

I think we could have done better with his development but Newport were the ones who put him in that ball playing centre back role and caught the eye of Bielsa in the FA cup game against them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think we could have done better with his development but Newport were the ones who put him in that ball playing centre back role and caught the eye of Bielsa in the FA cup game against them.

Our academy have handled him perfectly. Three seasons of U18s then U23 football before a season on loan in 4th tier, then a season in 3rd have made him the outstanding Championship player that he now is. Putting him in our 1st team squad instead would’ve resulted in very little game time.

Neither Newport or Bielsa spotted his talents either; they just benefited from them. It was our scouts that should get the credit for recognising his potential after he’d been released by Saints, aged 16.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Our academy have handled him perfectly. Three seasons of U18s then U23 football before a season on loan in 4th tier, then a season in 3rd have made him the outstanding Championship player that he now is. Putting him in our 1st team squad instead would’ve resulted in very little game time.

Neither Newport or Bielsa spotted his talents either; they just benefited from them. It was our scouts that should get the credit for recognising his potential after he’d been released by Saints, aged 16.

His development has been really good but not perfect. The times I saw him play for the u23s were promissing but didnt show him in his best position.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
Disagree. Some players looked much more up to game speed from the beginning - Bissouma, Maupay, Dunk, Webster, Schelotto. Others less so - Gross, Burn, Trossard.

As I say, this wasn’t meant to be critical, more in praise of the flick after not really touching the ball.

I thought Gross picked up exactly were he left off before the break. Slow, off the pace and ineffective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here