Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Concerts at the Amex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If everyone who claims to have been there was actually there, the attendance would be more than the Amex holds too!!

Much like the early Sex Pistol’s gigs

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not my thing, but I'm sure tickets for Coldplay would sell out at the Amex in minutes.

Me too - too much bland Radio 2 middle of the road music for me, but I would agree I'm sure if they racked up at the Amex the masses would attend.

I'd love to know the economics for gigs at the Amex as I was under the impression they could 'theoretically' stage 2 a year but since the Fat Boy Slim and Rod Stewart gigs I don't think there have been any others that I'm aware of - surely there is potential profit in a couple of events for the club each year?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A well known Stockbroker is keeping busy on line. punk:

I chatted with the aforementioned Stockbroker in our local just before lock down. He's had to be very careful due to a lung condition. It is easier for a solo artist to things like that, as opposed to getting a 4+ piece band together

I chatted with the aforementioned Stockbroker in our local just before lock down. He's had to be very careful due to a lung condition. It is easier for a solo artist to things like that, as opposed to getting a 4+ piece band together

It has been interesting watching "on line" efforts from various artists. To list a few the members of "Show of Hands" have been busy with online Q & A and concerts, as have Jon Cleary, Richard Thompson, Tom Russell and the very lovely and immensely talented Rhiannon Giddens. I am tempted to start a "music you have watched on line during lockdown and would recommend" thread unless there already is one started??

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
love to see the Killers at the Amex nearest they get is St Marys

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
love to see the Killers at the Amex nearest they get is St Marys

That's what made me start this thread , saw they were at Ashton gate , manics also playing there.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

Thinking about it, an All dayer of local bands/Artists would be great... . Obviously I would be glad to help ;-)

I've always wanted to do a mini festival in Buckingham park Shoreham, the natural slope makes it perfect.

Architects, Black Honey, Black Peaks and Xcerts are a few of the younger bands that you could throw into the mix straight away as locally based groups with a decent following who could feature on that sort of a day as well punk:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I was happy to have bands playing in Dicks post match and bandstand pre match but they got rid of them as well, maybe the club aren't musically attuned......

I have heard that Tony Bloom's favourite song is Kim Wilde, 'Kids in America' so you may have a point.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Coldplay :lolol: the musical equivalent of Mrs Brown's Boys :wozza:

The West Stand full of people holding their phones with the light on would be quite a sight :rolleyes:

Just been watching them from a previous Glastonbury on the TV tonight. Mrs DiS and I agreed they were fairly tedious. And miserable.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just been watching them from a previous Glastonbury on the TV tonight. Mrs DiS and I agreed they were fairly tedious. And miserable.

I have always thought this band are very overrated, I'm not sure if there wasn't much going on when they hit the charts, but I've never got the massive hype that went with this band.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Stadium concerts are bloody awful. I know I am going to sound like a grumpy old b**tard saying "live music isn't what it used to be" but its true. Bands used to do multiple nights at the same venue. From memory The Who did something like 10 nights at the Brighton Centre. This meant we got to see bands in relative close quarters with plenty of atmosphere. Now all but the most mediocre one hit wonders do stadiums, filling their pockets for a few hours work and behaving like they have given value for money. Bands like Pink Floyd started the big venue thing but they could pull it off because they designed the show around a big venue. Festivals were a little different we didn't expect the same performance or atmosphere because the festival itself provided a unique experience. Now you get lousy acoustics, piss poor atmosphere and half arsed performances. Mnd you the audience is just as shite these days, I saw Rodger Waters perform "The Wall" so many Ftards watching the show via their 4inch smartphone screen.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Love to see my boys Duran Duran play the Amex , they have played at Birmingham’s ground but sadly I don’t see it happening . The security costs would be too high keeping the housewives away from Simon & John etc

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Look pretty happy to me :shrug: I think with most bands you have to be familiar with the songs to get the most enjoyment. Occasionally a band or singer comes along that you just take to straight away, in my experience that is rare. It is very cool to not like Coldplay though. I happen to like their live performances, seldom listen to their studio albums as it can get a bit samey. Their anthem songs I find quite uplifting and the crowd are really into it, makes an enjoyable watch for me.

Tedious? That would be the incredibly foul mouthed Adele and her dreary lost love songs. The swearing just after getting a 10 year old girl on stage disgusted me. Talking about shitting and pissing at the festival, classy.

I only watched it because my wife WAS a fan, the profanity and lack of class shocked her. The singing wasn’t that special either.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
When there was a Fatboy gig there about 5 years ago, i'm pretty sure Southern refused to provide trains back, even though it only finished at about half ten. The reason being, I think, that as a transport company, they don't like to lower themselves to such things as transporting people who need transport

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When there was a Fatboy gig there about 5 years ago, i'm pretty sure Southern refused to provide trains back, even though it only finished at about half ten. The reason being, I think, that as a transport company, they don't like to lower themselves to such things as transporting people who need transport

That was pretty shit. Instead of rising to the challenge Southern waved the white flag and rolled down the shutters. The crap transport must surely be the main issue promoters don’t choose the AMEX?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That was pretty shit. Instead of rising to the challenge Southern waved the white flag and rolled down the shutters. The crap transport must surely be the main issue promoters don’t choose the AMEX?
If there was a train operator who gave a shit, the transport would be fine

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here