Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Competition needed for Stockdale!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stop thumps-upping each other you two, its getting kind of weird and slightly gay.

You have a strange definition of "gay".

Unless of course, it was intended as an insult. In which case its homophobic undertones aren't acceptable. :shrug:

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Not as 'gay' as getting hung up about it.

A thumbs-up (in my mind at least) is nothing more or less than short-hand for 'I agree with this post'. Just as a thumbs down means 'I disagree with this post'.

Nothing more, or less.

To entertain my opinions surely is to be as 'hung up' on it as I?

And I was just joking about the thumps up thing :thumbsup:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I feel the same way. It's too early to write him off altogether, and I wasn't at the Ipswich game, but I've seen nothing so far to feel me with any confidence, and whatever excuses people want to use, that second goal at Ipswich was an absolute ....ing howler.

To me, as a non-professional 'keeper, a howler is TK v Birmingham or one of several away at Notts. Forrest over the past few seasons. Ipswich and Stockdale was more an error of judgement.
Additionally, and more importantly, it did not cost us vital points whereas the others all did.
I am sure you know better.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
You have a strange definition of "gay".

Unless of course, it was intended as an insult. In which case its homophobic undertones aren't acceptable. :shrug:

Relax and come back down off that high horse please Goldstone. I dont see how my use of the word 'gay' lead you to the phrase 'homophobic undertones'.

That is more of a knee-jerk reaction that has been said of my comments.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To me, as a non-professional 'keeper, a howler is TK v Birmingham or one of several away at Notts. Forrest over the past few seasons. Ipswich and Stockdale was more an error of judgement.
Additionally, and more importantly, it did not cost us vital points whereas the others all did.

This is my opinion too.

In my decades in goal, i've let in many hundreds of goals. Every single one annoys me at the time - as they should. However when I analyse my performance there is a huge difference between the ones I COULD have saved, and the occassional one that I really SHOULD have saved.

Seems to me that those with a pre-determined downer on Stockdale, are marking every one as a 'should' when all bar one have been anything but.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Relax and come back down off that high horse please Goldstone. I dont see how my use of the word 'gay' lead you to the phrase 'homophobic undertones'.

That is more of a knee-jerk reaction that has been said of my comments.

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, if an insult carries the word "gay" as part of it, it, by definition, carries a homophobic undertone. In just the same way as calling someone "a black b'stard" carries racist undertones.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This is my opinion too.

In my decades in goal, i've let in many hundreds of goals. Every single one annoys me at the time - as they should. However when I analyse my performance there is a huge difference between the ones I COULD have saved, and the occassional one that I really SHOULD have saved.

Seems to me that those with a pre-determined downer on Stockdale, are marking every one as a 'should' when all bar one have been anything but.

That's very fair comment, But wouldn't you expect to sometimes save the "coulds"? Until Ipswich, I don't think Stockdale had.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

If you are sure I know better, then stop arguing and accept what I say. TK had already proven what a good keeper he was when he made that howler. As for Stockdale, a player with a superb attitude and one I really want to eventually succeed, has so far, in my unquestionable opinion, been a bit shit.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If you are sure I know better, then stop arguing and accept what I say. TK had already proven what a good keeper he was when he made that howler. As for Stockdale, a player with a superb attitude and one I really want to eventually succeed, has so far, in my unquestionable opinion, been a bit shit.

Righto :thumbsup:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
PIG was the last line of a much better defence than we have at the moment. How he would have fared with the current style is conjecture. Stockdale could have done better at times but the main defensive problems are elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Radio Sussex were emphatic - the Cardiff equaliser was a shocker, 100% attributable to Stockdale. He clearly gave the call to Dunk etc to leave it as it was his, but embarrassingly was caught in no mans land. The shock of his error has visibly sucked the life out of the team and home fans.

Questions - were his performances last season any good? I genuinely don't know.
Was his GKing reputation greater than the reality of his abilities?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
No one else to blame tonight. Had no reason to come that far for the ball. If he'd left it to dunk and stayed on his line he would have had an easy save.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was a poor error however he did make a superb save when Dunk made a huge error in the 2nd half.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Stockdale played well in the second half - an excellent save after Dunk's error, catching crosses, very good distribution.

But that goal...bloody Hell. If Ankergren had done that he'd have been crucified. Unbelievably bad, and it changed the game - not just the scoreline but the whole feel of the game. The atmosphere died, and belief was sucked out of the players and the fans.

I really want him to be the dominating keeper I expected him to be, but my expectation has been replaced by a desperate hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here