Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Competition needed for Stockdale!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Just seen the 2nd Ipswich goal and that has made my mind up.

He is completely and utterly useless and he needs to go now.

Get Walton in, or PIG back or something.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just seen the 2nd Ipswich goal and that has made my mind up.

He is completely and utterly useless and he needs to go now.

Get Walton in, or PIG back or something.

Either you're joking or an idiot. I assume you didn't go to the game as Stockdale played well and made a fantastic save in the second half.

I take it when you saw the goal that Kuszczak conceded at Forest, you made your mind up we should get rid of him!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting from a (25 years as an amateur) keeper's perspective, that the focus is on the second goal rather than the first at Ipswich.

The second one happens to ALL keepers - the guy took his shot earlier than Stockdale expected - before he had set himself. If you're not set properly its hard to spring effectively, as your weight distribution is all wrong. In those circumstance a good strike, out of reach = goal.

The first one, is infuriating for the keeper himself. He's made a really good save from the first strike, and whilst he is undoubtable unlucky with where the rebound fell - he will feel that he might have influenced that a little more.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What his attempted save or my reaction? ???

You clearly weren't at the game. I looked at the highlights just now and it didn't look that bad. Just slightly out of position so he could come and claim the ball if needed.

You wouldn't be making these comments if you were at the game and saw the fantastic save he made at 1-0 as well as a couple of other good saves and impressive handling and distribution all game.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Either you're joking or an idiot. I assume you didn't go to the game as Stockdale played well and made a fantastic save in the second half.

I take it when you saw the goal that Kuszczak conceded at Forest, you made your mind up we should get rid of him!

I an neither joking or an idiot. Every game I have seen him in (every home game so far including the s'hampton friendly, leeds away & brentford ) he has not been good enough when needed. Everyone makes mistakes, but he has let far too many easy chances in already and the season has only just started.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
You clearly weren't at the game. I looked at the highlights just now and it didn't look that bad. Just slightly out of position so he could come and claim the ball if needed.

You wouldn't be making these comments if you were at the game and saw the fantastic save he made at 1-0 as well as a couple of other good saves and impressive handling and distribution all game.

I'm not basing my opinion on that one game it was just the last straw.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I an neither joking or an idiot. Every game I have seen him in (every home game so far including the s'hampton friendly, leeds away & brentford ) he has not been good enough when needed. Everyone makes mistakes, but he has let far too many easy chances in already and the season has only just started.

'Far too many', is daft. He has made ONE actual mistake. ONE weak shot that he ought to have saved - the first v Charlton.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
'Far too many', is daft. He has made ONE actual mistake. ONE weak shot that he ought to have saved - the first v Charlton.

Ones I can remember.

1. The first goal in s'hamptons friendly
  2. The second goal in s'hamptons friendly
  3. Birminghams first goal
  4. Charltons first goal
  5. Brenfords 3rd goal

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ones I can remember.

4. Charltons first goal
  5. Brenfords 3rd goal

How can you say Birmingham's goal was his fault? It was an unmarked header from about 6 yards out!

I didn't go to the friendly so can't comment on those goals but it was his first game of pre season. Charlton's first goal he should have done better but I disagree strongly with the Brentford third goal comment.

I suppose it depends how you look at it. I choose to support the players who play for my team especially when they've only played about 8 games. You've clearly decided to slag off our new goalkeeper after only 8 games and find fault where there isn't any. Everyone supports a team in their own way I suppose.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
How can you say Birmingham's goal was his fault? It was an unmarked header from about 6 yards out!

I didn't go to the friendly so can't comment on those goals but it was his first game of pre season. Charlton's first goal he should have done better but I disagree strongly with the Brentford third goal comment.

I suppose it depends how you look at it. I choose to support the players who play for my team especially when they've only played about 8 games. You've clearly decided to slag off our new goalkeeper after only 8 games and find fault where there isn't any. Everyone supports a team in their own way I suppose.

From the sounds of it then the Birmingham one wasnt the one I was thinking of, so scrap that one.

IMO I dont feel he is good enough to play for us. I dont feel safe with him between the sticks. Unfortunalty first impressions happen. He has dissapointed me in serveal games now and will have to improve a lot to gain my trust back. Otherwise if he continues the way he is, then I stand by my original statement that he needs to go.

Poor performances wouldn't be stood for in any other position on the pitch and the keeper should be no different.

Can you imagine if CMS/Baldock had missed 4/5 easy chances? NSC would be calling for their heads, and in fact often do.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm not basing my opinion on that one game it was just the last straw.

I feel the same way. It's too early to write him off altogether, and I wasn't at the Ipswich game, but I've seen nothing so far to feel me with any confidence, and whatever excuses people want to use, that second goal at Ipswich was an absolute ....ing howler.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ones I can remember.

4. Charltons first goal
  5. Brenfords 3rd goal

1. Who cares?
2. Who cares?
3. Absolute nonsense.
4. Yes. I've said he was at fault, and so has HE.
5. Absolute nonsense

Can you imagine if CMS/Baldock had missed 4/5 easy chances? NSC would be calling for their heads, and in fact often do.

How is that a comparison? He has let in ONE 'easy chance'. Are you suggesting that CMS hasn't missed ONE chance? Your comparisons are weighted and worthless.

FWIW you are suggesting keepers get an easy ride, when the absolute opposite is actually true. A striker can actually score one from three easy chances and all is declared terrific. The keeper can pull out three worldies, and they are entirely forgotten if he has one questionnable moment in the game - see Ipswich away for full details.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
From the sounds of it then the Birmingham one wasnt the one I was thinking of, so scrap that one.

IMO I dont feel he is good enough to play for us. I dont feel safe with him between the sticks. Unfortunalty first impressions happen. He has dissapointed me in serveal games now and will have to improve a lot to gain my trust back. Otherwise if he continues the way he is, then I stand by my original statement that he needs to go.

Poor performances wouldn't be stood for in any other position on the pitch and the keeper should be no different.

So he's lost your trust partly because of a goal you made up. Brilliant!

He hasn't missed the equivalent of 4 or 5 chances. There is one goal that you can really blame him for in the league and the rest are people just being harsh.

Luckily, Hyypia doesn't seem to be as reactionary as you, which is a relief.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I feel the same way. It's too early to write him off altogether, and I wasn't at the Ipswich game, but I've seen nothing so far to feel me with any confidence, and whatever excuses people want to use, that second goal at Ipswich was an absolute ....ing howler.

If you think the Ipswich second goal was a howler, then what did you think of the one Kuszczak let in at Forest (or Ankergren let in at Forest the year before)? It wasn't great but it definitely wasn't a howler.

If you weren't at the game, you're basing your opinion on a couple of highlights. If you look at the comments on the player ratings thread and elsewhere, people who actually went to the game seem to be giving Stockdale reasonable comments. But you base your opinion just on the highlights. As someone who was there, I know who I agree with.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A striker can actually score one from three easy chances and all is declared terrific. The keeper can pull out three worldies, and they are entirely forgotten if he has one questionnable moment in the game - see Ipswich away for full details.

'Twas ever the keepers lot.

Prior to the Ipswich game I did however share some of the concerns of the naysayers about Stockdale, in particular his shot-stopping prowess. I do agree that, with the exception of Charlton's first goal, none of the goals he conceded were howlers and all could legitimately be put down to shoddy defending. However, it is the keeper's job to occasionally bail out his defenders and he simply hadn't. Ever. If the defence made a mistake and the shot was on target - it was a goal. Surely you'd hope that a keeper of his reputed talent would have pulled out a great save once or twice?

I did say "prior to the Ipswich game". There - he did make some very decent saves, and one great save. He visibly grew in confidence afterwards, as you'd expect. I worry that the fact he then let two in afterwards, without a following save, will have seriously dented his confidence again.

I'm happy to be in the "hmmm" camp at the moment, but I do expect a £1m keeper to make saves like he did at Ipswich rather more frequently than he is currently doing.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
1. Who cares?
2. Who cares?
3. Absolute nonsense.
4. Yes. I've said he was at fault, and so has HE.
5. Absolute nonsense

How is that a comparison? He has let in ONE 'easy chance'. Are you suggesting that CMS hasn't missed ONE chance? Your comparisons are weighted and worthless.

FWIW you are suggesting keepers get an easy ride, when the absolute opposite is actually true. A striker can actually score one from three easy chances and all is declared terrific. The keeper can pull out three worldies, and they are entirely forgotten if he has one questionnable moment in the game - see Ipswich away for full details.

So he's lost your trust partly because of a goal you made up. Brilliant!

He hasn't missed the equivalent of 4 or 5 chances. There is one goal that you can really blame him for in the league and the rest are people just being harsh.

Luckily, Hyypia doesn't seem to be as reactionary as you, which is a relief.

Stop thumps-upping each other you two, its getting kind of weird and slightly gay.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stop thumps-upping each other you two, its getting kind of weird and slightly gay.

Not as 'gay' as getting hung up about it.

A thumbs-up (in my mind at least) is nothing more or less than short-hand for 'I agree with this post'. Just as a thumbs down means 'I disagree with this post'.

Nothing more, or less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here