Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comparison with last season

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Gus laid the foundations but Oscar is building the superstructure.

Deffo.

Without Gus, I doubt Oscar would even be here.

And without Tony Bloom, probably neither of them would have been appointed.

I wonder whether TB had a firm idea of the type of football he wanted the Albion to be playing, and felt Gus would bring that, when he offered the position to Gus; or whether he was simply most impressed with Gus out of all the candidates, and subsequently became enamoured with the "identity" that Poyet instilled? At any rate, to have such consistency in the club's footballing philosophy, from the top man down, is a pretty remarkable thing.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seems a long way off currently, but just imagine for one second that we made it to the play offs again.

And passed Poyet on the way up. Bizarre.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems a long way off currently, but just imagine for one second that we made it to the play offs again.

Like I said, 'that's gonna burn', and burn bad.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Just imagine....us getting promoted, Palace and Sunderland getting relegated. :D

A long way off though, as you quite rightly say.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Deffo.

I wouldn't go that far, if we had a different manager to Gus, and then needed a replacement at a time that coincided with Oscar wanting to leave Israel, Bloom would have got him.

Though you could say that if Gus wasn't such an emotional and demanding person, Oscar's services wouldn't have been sort.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just imagine....us getting promoted, Palace and Sunderland getting relegated. :D

A long way off though, as you quite rightly say.
That day dream crossed my mind, asking the question:-

'would we prefer the Premier League all to ourselves, or do we want the Gus/Palace distractions?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't go that far, if we had a different manager to Gus, and then needed a replacement at a time that coincided with Oscar wanting to leave Israel, Bloom would have got him.

Though you could say that if Gus wasn't such an emotional and demanding person, Oscar's services wouldn't have been sort.
What benefit would there be to Oscar inheriting an entrenched Warnock/Pulis team?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And without Tony Bloom, probably neither of them would have been appointed.

I wonder whether TB had a firm idea of the type of football he wanted the Albion to be playing, and felt Gus would bring that, when he offered the position to Gus; or whether he was simply most impressed with Gus out of all the candidates, and subsequently became enamoured with the "identity" that Poyet instilled? At any rate, to have such consistency in the club's footballing philosophy, from the top man down, is a pretty remarkable thing.

Playing a passing game was a requirement of Blooms and Gus delivered, but I wouldn’t have ruled out someone else coming in and setting a good foundation though.

It would have probably been the same but different because of the Amex effect, that said I wouldn't change a thing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Our problem is that when we are in a position to make a move into the play off positions we tend to f.k up lets hope it doesnt happen again this season.

How have you arrived at that? We have only been in with a shout at the play-offs probably 3 times in the last 23 years and we made them in 2 out of those 3 occasions. All the other years have either been a struggle or an automatic promotion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What benefit would there be to Oscar inheriting an entrenched Warnock/Pulis team?

:smile: Gus was the right man for the job at the right time, but if Gus wasn't available I am sure that Bloom would have found another right man, just like he has now chosen another right man now which may have been Oscar.

I am just saying that you cannot say that Oscar being here is soley down to Gus.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Look at that 2nd graph. I was going to create one like that but luckily someone's already done it.
It shows up being in a similar position to last year but we're on an upward trend, where last year we were very inconsistent. The only way is up and 11 points at this stage of the season is nothing. Bring it on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The best thing this season is the discovery of Ince being a very good player - awesome

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Non cryptic post match interviews from our manager seems to be a difference.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Deffo.

I think there is great room for optimism as to where we will finish. It is very tempting to say that with all the players returning, we will do well, though life isn't always that simple. Yes, he will have choice and competition for places should help, but he will also have more "first teamers" not playing and sometimes wounded egos can have a negative influence in the dressing room. I am still not too content with the home form -under Poyet so many points were lost and I recall reading many comments about there not apparently being a "plan B" -not sure of this situation has improved greatly -the first half can still be so painfully slow, Leicester game excepted.
On balance, with so much talent in the squad, with a greater emphasis on attacking play at home, and perhaps a quality addition in January, you would have to say, yes -a top 6 place.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Maybe. He doesn't say a lot. But I do find it quite refreshing not having to listen to the manager selling himself to every other club on the market, or ranting about things he can't control. Poyet did a lot of great stuff. He was a huge drama queen though and the media lapped it up (witness his Suarez comments), so whenever he said anything controversial, the whole world had to know about it.

Can't see Oscar shouting the odds to his mates in the press.

One day the story of how the local media tried to protect him from himself over the Suarez comments will be told ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think there is great room for optimism as to where we will finish. It is very tempting to say that with all the players returning, we will do well, though life isn't always that simple. Yes, he will have choice and competition for places should help, but he will also have more "first teamers" not playing and sometimes wounded egos can have a negative influence in the dressing room. I am still not too content with the home form -under Poyet so many points were lost and I recall reading many comments about there not apparently being a "plan B" -not sure of this situation has improved greatly -the first half can still be so painfully slow, Leicester game excepted.
On balance, with so much talent in the squad, with a greater emphasis on attacking play at home, and perhaps a quality addition in January, you would have to say, yes -a top 6 place.
It's that kind of attitude I just don't see Oscar 'allowing' (for want of a better word).

If your manager is chipping off left right and centre, there's nothing to stop you doing the same.
I just don't see Oscar being the kind of manager a player is going to cross swords with, more than once.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If your manager is chipping off left right and centre, there's nothing to stop you doing the same.
I just don't see Oscar being the kind of manager a player is going to cross swords with, more than once.

WILD stab here with absolutely nothing to support it, Lita?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here