COG Stays

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think some posters are being very harsh on COG. I think we are paying far too much for him but he is good at holding the ball up and his first touch is quite good, he will be fine as a squad player imo. We are Brighton and Hove Albion, we should just be grateful for being in this league with the recruitment set up and ambition we have. Good forwards are only going to come here if they can't get a better deal elsewhere, which they inevitably will, so COG will be fine and probably the best we can hope for in a lower mid table team. We just need to get lucky with a loan striker who will be first choice.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So basically you have no idea how to guarantee every future transfer is a success.

As for a chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club
Shouldn't that read:-

a Chairman who does not duck the issue as far as putting money into the club to underwrite the ongoing multi million pound debt, as well as attempting to finance a competitive team.

No one can guarantee every transfer being a success, but you can measure the success v failure rate and obviously our chairman thought our failure rate was too high and sacked the man responsible in his view.
And yes it should read that about our chairman only for it to be wasted by our recruitment team/policies.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Peter Withe was a similar sort of forward to COG. Bit of a nomadic player, no real pace, his strengths were largely with his back to goal and he never really had a prolific goal scoring record. He bumbled around for years until Clough and Taylor picked him up, then he went on to pick up a handful of England caps, win two first division titles (with Forest and Villa) and a European Cup (Villa). I'm not for one second suggesting that COG is going to evolve into an England international or European cup winner, but what I'm saying is that sometimes things just 'click' for a player especially when they've got some faith or knowledge in the future (he now knows he's staying put).

I may be way off by saying all this and I'm sure some clever clogs will remind me if things don't turn out the way we all would like, but I honestly believe that COG is good enough at this level to play in a top tier team. Whether that's as a regular or as a member of the squad - who knows.

personally I think COG is more of a Gilzean type player

only without the goals

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I could be wrong, probably am, but I thought it was the last month of their contracts for domestic transfers with 6 months for everywhere else?
This was taken from Wikipedia, but I am not sure if still correct.

Pre-contract[edit]
A pre-contract is an agreement by a player and an agreeing to take his registration at a later date, and became more well known after the Bosman ruling in 1995.[280] A club may sign a pre-contract with a player while he is still with another club, by which the player agrees to move to the club at a future date, usually after his contract with his current club expires. Under the Bosman ruling, a player can sign a contract with a new club up to six months before his existing contract expires.[281]

A pre-contract agreement may be broken by the player or the club,[280] as was the case when Ross County midfielder Richard Brittain signed a pre-contract with St. Johnstone. The agreement was made in January 2013,[282][283] but Brittain changed his mind three months later,[284] citing family reasons.[285] Ross County registered the player as their own in June,[286] and, after discussions with the Scottish FA,[287] St. Johnstone and Ross County came to an agreement to let Brittain stay at the club, with St. Johnstone cancelling the pre-contract agreement if Ross County paid compensation.[280][288]

Although a pre-contract agreement is usually signed to secure the future registration of a player, an agreement can be reached where the club gaining the registration can pay a fee to the other club to sign the player earlier, as was the case in January 2013, when Schalke 04 midfielder Lewis Holtby, who had six months remaining on his contract, signed a pre-contract agreement with Tottenham Hotspur,[289] but at the end of the month, Tottenham paid a fee of £1.5m to bring the transfer forward

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm very pleased by this news. Chris O'Grady is one of my favourite players.

When watching him I have no doubts about his commitment - and knowing that he is a good bloke into the bargain means I just want him to do well. It also helps that he is a very good footballer.

Like everyone else I am hoping that the CMS replacement will score 20 goals, and that we will have a new hero, but are you doomsters really going to be "annoyed" if/when COG appears at The Amex next season...?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What the **** is wrong with this forum. How can anyone seriously think we're going to aspire to be in or around the promotion places with CHRIS O'GRADY in the team. Did you not watch any football last year? DId you not see that we COULDN'T SCORE and he absolutely DOESN'T suit our style of play?

The mind truly baffles. CMS scored more than COG last year and I don't see anyone saying we should keep him, so why are muppets backing O'grady?

Seems like there's still a place in the squad for a try-hard journeyman. Just so long as there's only space for ONE of them.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
15k a week!? Same as CMS was supposedly on and he was a big money transfer record for us! Find that very very hard to believe. Very!

If the quoted 15k is correct then the answer to whether we want him here next season becomes a whole lot easier for me.
Overpaid and money that could (and should have) be spent far wiser. Get rid.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
If the quoted 15k is correct then the answer to whether we want him here next season becomes a whole lot easier for me.

With him on that sort of money and on a three year contract I think we would struggle to find a buyer.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Probably deserves another season as long as we play to his strengths which TBH we wont. He scored 15 goals in a season for Barnsley who went down so he cant be that shit, 15k a week however for a squad player sounds alot tho.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
15k a week simply cannot be true. Let's see where [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] heard this first...

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Really shocking if true - a journeyman Lge 1 striker and we have been completely mugged off! - 1 league goal last season says it all for me, we wont be able to move him either as no-one will surely match his contract demands, simply not good enough for a team with any ambition to push at the top end of the table

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
15k a week simply cannot be true. Let's see where [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] heard this first...

Very much this. Don't believe it for a single moment.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
This was taken from Wikipedia, but I am not sure if still correct.

Pre-contract[edit]
A pre-contract is an agreement by a player and an agreeing to take his registration at a later date, and became more well known after the Bosman ruling in 1995.[280] A club may sign a pre-contract with a player while he is still with another club, by which the player agrees to move to the club at a future date, usually after his contract with his current club expires. Under the Bosman ruling, a player can sign a contract with a new club up to six months before his existing contract expires.[281]

A pre-contract agreement may be broken by the player or the club,[280] as was the case when Ross County midfielder Richard Brittain signed a pre-contract with St. Johnstone. The agreement was made in January 2013,[282][283] but Brittain changed his mind three months later,[284] citing family reasons.[285] Ross County registered the player as their own in June,[286] and, after discussions with the Scottish FA,[287] St. Johnstone and Ross County came to an agreement to let Brittain stay at the club, with St. Johnstone cancelling the pre-contract agreement if Ross County paid compensation.[280][288]

Although a pre-contract agreement is usually signed to secure the future registration of a player, an agreement can be reached where the club gaining the registration can pay a fee to the other club to sign the player earlier, as was the case in January 2013, when Schalke 04 midfielder Lewis Holtby, who had six months remaining on his contract, signed a pre-contract agreement with Tottenham Hotspur,[289] but at the end of the month, Tottenham paid a fee of £1.5m to bring the transfer forward
Interestingly, after a quick Google and a bit of a read it looks like (oh what a waste of a lunch break) either of us could actually be right.

According to the football league website;

64.2 Any Club wishing to reengage a Contract Player whose contract is due to expire on 30 June must, save as mentioned in Regulations 64.2.1 to 64.2.4 below, notify him in writing by the third Saturday in May in the final year of his contract whether or not they offer him terms of reengagement specifying (where applicable) such terms.

There are a few additional bits to that but I didnt think copy/pasting everything was going to make me too popular, though it's section 64 here (http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx ) if you're interested?

The way I'm reading it, a player couldn't agree to move domestically after contract expiration (at least not officially), until that offer period has expired, which would be roughly one month prior to expiry. Once that's gone then they can do whatever they want I guess, same as they could for a team abroad at any other time over the 6 months.

Still, despite that being the actual regulation, I wouldn't swear to being correct!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I heard it from EL Pres during a discussion about how cheap skate I reckoned we were as a club. I too think it is an absolutely crazy amount to be paying a player who has plied his trade in League One and Two for the most part and has no pace at all.

It's on here somewhere but if @El Pres turns up on this thread he will no doubt confirm or deny.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
We cannot struggle again for goals again next season. It's going to be a lot tougher and we won't have such poor sides as Blackpool and Millwall to help us out. All the teams coming up know where the net is, and Burnley, QPR and Hull will be adding to the promotion mix. I'll be extremely happy with a top-half finish to be honest

With Blackpool we lost one match and drew the other. Even playing against the worst of the championship the seagulls did not look impressive at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doubtless COG's role will continue to be to hold the ball up until another Albion player finally arrives in the scoring half of the pitch :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports