Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG Stays

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, my bad, that's just CRAZY talk :down:
ha ha ha ha 2 players in the opponents half, you fookin crack me up you crazy chicken.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Look on the bright side. We won't have to contend with Wigan, Blackpool and Millwall helping themselves to eleven points at our expense next season.
Don't forget the 8 points taken by the next 2 worst teams - Rotherham, and Reading.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ha ha ha ha 2 players in the opponents half, you fookin crack me up you crazy chicken.
Ridiculous, isn't it - how can you play possession football with the ball going into areas of the pitch that are full of their defenders waiting to win it back off you? If COG had any sort of footballing brain he would know to pass it back to a defensive mid-fielder in a safer area of the pitch (behind the half way line). The defensive midfielder could then pass it back to the safety of the back four - that's what they're there for isn't it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ridiculous, isn't it - how can you play possession football with the ball going into areas of the pitch that are full of their defenders waiting to win it back off you? If COG had any sort of footballing brain he would know to pass it back to a defensive mid-fielder in a safer area of the pitch (behind the half way line). The defensive midfielder could then pass it back to the safety of the back four - that's what they're there for isn't it?

Think they're only there to make the official possession stats - and more importantly the manager - look good, to be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think they're only there to make the official possession stats and - more importantly - the manager looks good, to be honest.
Begging the question:-

Just how bad have all the 'minimum of 2 holding midfielders' AMEX era managers actually been?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Begging the question:-

Just how bad have all the 'minimum of 2 holding midfielders' AMEX era managers actually been?

In retrospect, we were all just so NEEDY that we were pathetically grateful for something - anything! - that wasn't clear-yer-lines hoofball, that even 20 sideways passes to reach the halfway line before surrendering possession seemed attractive to some for a short while.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
15k a week simply cannot be true. Let's see where [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] heard this first...

He was supposedly on £8k a week at Barnsley but had triggered an increase for the remaining year of his contract there to £10k a week which Barnsley couldn't afford after being relegated which is why they were keen to offload him. It could well be that Charlton were prepared to match £10k a week but COG said he didn't want to move away from Yorkshire until of course we waded in because Burke identified him as the ideal replacement for Ulloa.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Doubtless COG's role will continue to be to hold the ball up until another Albion player finally arrives in the scoring half of the pitch :rolleyes:

First week in April ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] over to you - is this 100% fact - COG is on 15k a WEEK?!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I heard it from EL Pres during a discussion about how cheap skate I reckoned we were as a club. I too think it is an absolutely crazy amount to be paying a player who has plied his trade in League One and Two for the most part and has no pace at all.

It's on here somewhere but if @El Pres turns up on this thread he will no doubt confirm or deny.

Thanks mate - I really really hope this isn't true :(

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

I'm fairly certain it is true

A lot of people laughed at the club stating this was the most expensive squad we have had in terms of fees and wages but when you realise we are forking out that sort of money on utter dross it sounds all adds up. Makes you appreciate just what a total and utter cluster**** has been made in the transfer market

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I heard the story from a fairly reliable source from here up North. Apparently COG has done reasonably well for himself over the years and owns a few properties which are managed for him by his brother. Same source told me about the £15k a week.

Given that the AVERAGE wage in the Championship is now up to £470k a year it's a feasible sum, especially as our first choice striker signing turned us down last summer, and we were not in a strong negotiating position with COG.

I was talking to an ex-pro about COG who says that on his day he's a nightmare to play against, but has a reputation for being a bit introverted and can go into his shell if opposing players get into his head, and they will do anything, including playing the race card, to keep him down.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nadkins is expected to be announced as the new Blades manager this afternoon , could stir things up a bit if he fancies O'Gravy as the big man up top at Bramall Lane.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nadkins is expected to be announced as the new Blades manager this afternoon , could stir things up a bit if he fancies O'Gravy as the big man up top at Bramall Lane.

It would be excellent if the deal can be resurrected.

Let's be blunt, COG and his family want to be up North. The money here is decent, so that's his silver lining in the cloud of remaining here, but it's best for all if he gets his move.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Can I just ask what is "transitional". Is this the same myth that said that we cant go straight up after promotion from div 1 and we had to "consolidate". Interesting that neither palace or Bournemouth suffered from the same afflictions as "consolidation" and "transition".

We're transitioning from a shit squad to a better one. We've had success with Oscar and Gus, then we had last season and now we need to get back to where we were. It's not a myth, it's where we are but you can choose to ignore it if you want to, and pretend that we have some divine right to be up the top end of the league. Bournemouth did consolidate in their first season at this level and they then evolved the squad slightly, kept the same manager, the same ethos and signed players who suited the manager's vision. They won the league. We've got a manager going into the summer window for the first time in a couple of years. We'll be signing players this manager wants, and that's important.

The squad will be built over the summer and I've no doubt we'll start the season ready, and with the squad Chris Hughton wants to have and that's why I firmly believe we'll have a good season next season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
has a reputation for being a bit introverted and can go into his shell if opposing players get into his head, and they will do anything, including playing the race card, to keep him down.
What's playing the race card? Accusing him of being racist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here