Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Coffee machine recommendations.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If you want the best then you should look for a Jura machine. They are built to last a lifetime. £500 will get you a decent second-hand bean to cup machine, but don't worry, they really are amazing. I got mine in 2008 and it is still knocking out 10+ cups a day without any major issues. I use cafe-select.co.uk to service it every few years and that is all it needs to keep it ticking over like new.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Black Sheep Coffee shops are a personal favourite, but what you do get from Costa/Starbucks is consistency. The best chain coffee I have ever had was in Nero, but the worst I've ever had was in... Nero. As a consequence, however good it gets, I don't want something undrinkable even if it's only once a week. Costa for preference, Starbucks as a back up.

Absolutely, on our frequent Sussex trips the coffee in Cross Hands and Reading sevices varies amazingly, as franchises not sure if it's bad management or poor staff. Sometimes very strong, almost undrinkable, sometimes spot on, to our tastes that is. With the obligatory millionaires shortbread :rolleyes:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Make it KSV, for your coffee and tea. Your local vending experts.

Disclaimer - this is stuck in my head from 30 years ago and may not be a guarantee of good coffee.

Kent & Sussex Vending! I used to drink with the Colliers back then in the Brickies, Ridgewood.

We gave them so much stick about that bloody advert. :D

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll look these up, had also looked at Sage, and have been waiting to buy a new machine since beofre house renovations when my kitchen aid ( Gagggia inside) finally croaked after 13 years. That was a proper manual machine that made good coffee. we've had a lavazza pod thing for 18 months, niot bad but I hate pods.

If you (or 2 of you) drink a coffee or two every morning, £500 is a wise investment IMO. The Kitchen aid was £450 in 2005 . .2 services @ £65 over the years and I did a rebuild mysekfm, twice , gave us well over 100 000 cups of coffee.

I drink about four cups a day. Its value became even more obvious once lockdown started. The quality is better than most coffee shops. As someone else said on this thread, I use Union coffee.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It depends what you like - for black coffee I would really go for a v60 or aeropress. The v60 is the cheapest - but most used coffee ‘machine’ I’ve ever bought. Makes a great, clean tasting black coffee.

For espresso - a Sage Barista or Gaggia Classic.

Bean to Cup for mix including milk based coffees - Delonghi good for ‘budget’ - Jura if money no option.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I drink about four cups a day. Its value became even more obvious once lockdown started. The quality is better than most coffee shops. As someone else said on this thread, I use Union coffee.

I worked for myself/from home for over ten years . . . .until 3 months before lockdown . . .

every day I'd walk through town, looking in amazement at people spending money with an unsustainable cup in their hands. . .. having had just as good or better, for less, before I left my front door.

I like cafes, and pubs, restaurants, but every day? . . . . a good coffee machine is as important as any appliance in the house.

for emergencies/camping . a stainless steel Bialetti . . had it nearly 30 years now. get out of jail free card :lolol:

Last edited:

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
If you want the best then you should look for a Jura machine. They are built to last a lifetime. £500 will get you a decent second-hand bean to cup machine, but don't worry, they really are amazing. I got mine in 2008 and it is still knocking out 10+ cups a day without any major issues. I use cafe-select.co.uk to service it every few years and that is all it needs to keep it ticking over like new.

Another vote for jura, had it 3 years now and as long as you follow the cleaning regime it will go on forever. :thumbsup:

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I can’t live with out my Gaggia Cordona:

https://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/gaggia-cadorna-style.html

79a14dc46adb4c6fbbb6f9a2791f53c3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here