Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Coffee machine recommendations.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Excuse me for posting. Not quite what you are asking but we recently upgraded to a Lavazza Deseo. Its a pod machine and "should" cost £249.
The coffee is great and a good selection.
The pods are compostable which is a big plus in my book.
If you subscribe to the coffee you get the machine for free!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I wasn't a fan of the aeropress, seemed to make everything very acidic. I stuck with a French press

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I quite fancy either of these coffee makers :)

cyykn77c57d86b6cc830c109864352_400x400.jpg
EmxPJYKXIAEqUox.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If you're getting anything more pointlessly flash than a kettle I recommend buying a ****ing mirror instead so you can have a good HARD look at yourself.

Coffee twats. :(

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
What coffee do you like then :shrug:

I’m lucky to have a bunch of good independent coffee shops locally. One Aussie owned one is outstanding. But lots in Brighton & Hove as well - I know not everyone lives close to a good one, but many will, and I’m always bamboozled why anyone would choose a Costa/Starbucks over those if you’re lucky enough to have one. Starbucks too sweet for me, and Costa usually roasted way too hot (which scorches it and makes it bitter).

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I’m lucky to have a bunch of good independent coffee shops locally. One Aussie owned one is outstanding. But lots in Brighton & Hove as well - I know not everyone lives close to a good one, but many will, and I’m always bamboozled why anyone would choose a Costa/Starbucks over those if you’re lucky enough to have one. Starbucks too sweet for me, and Costa usually roasted way too hot (which scorches it and makes it bitter).

I'm a Costa fan although the local, used to be owned by Brains brewery, is Coffee No1, but both great. I suppose I like a consistant taste as opposed to trying various local brews. As we say each to their own.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm a Costa fan although the local, used to be owned by Brains brewery, is Coffee No1, but both great. I suppose I like a consistant taste as opposed to trying various local brews. As we say each to their own.

Yeah that’s fair - plenty of bad independent coffee shops too. And it’s very personal - some people like a charred/bitter taste (a bit like heavy oak in wine). Our local Costa has just closed down, and think that’s simply because we’re lucky to have a few really good independents. Starbucks still going though which I find bizarre, that’s the worst imho.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This will disappoint a few on here, but I spent a combined price of about £700 on an espresso machine and grinder. If you want the best coffee, you need it freshly ground. I bought the Rancilio brand, who make machines for the trade but make one for everyday punters.
I've had it for somewhere between five and eight years, and it's the best thing I've ever bought, and has saved me a fortune, because I rarely buy in coffee shops: if you add up how much people spend in coffee shops, over an extended period, it's an absolute fortune.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
I love mine. I make sure I do the full cleaning programme when needed. I've been trying beans from aldi and working through the different countries. Italian 4/5 strength are just right for me

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Black Sheep Coffee shops are a personal favourite, but what you do get from Costa/Starbucks is consistency. The best chain coffee I have ever had was in Nero, but the worst I've ever had was in... Nero. As a consequence, however good it gets, I don't want something undrinkable even if it's only once a week. Costa for preference, Starbucks as a back up.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This will disappoint a few on here, but I spent a combined price of about £700 on an espresso machine and grinder. If you want the best coffee, you need it freshly ground. I bought the Rancilio brand, who make machines for the trade but make one for everyday punters.
I've had it for somewhere between five and eight years, and it's the best thing I've ever bought, and has saved me a fortune, because I rarely buy in coffee shops: if you add up how much people spend in coffee shops, over an extended period, it's an absolute fortune.

I'll look these up, had also looked at Sage, and have been waiting to buy a new machine since beofre house renovations when my kitchen aid ( Gagggia inside) finally croaked after 13 years. That was a proper manual machine that made good coffee. we've had a lavazza pod thing for 18 months, niot bad but I hate pods.

If you (or 2 of you) drink a coffee or two every morning, £500 is a wise investment IMO. The Kitchen aid was £450 in 2005 . .2 services @ £65 over the years and I did a rebuild mysekfm, twice , gave us well over 100 000 cups of coffee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here