Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Coffee drinkers

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I bought an espresso machine -- it's a Rancilio who produce one consumer product, all the rest are for the trade -- and it's the best purchase of a product I've so far made. I have two to four 'long blacks' (ie in between an espresso and Americano) in the morning, and another one mid-afternoon on a standard day.

Similar story here. I bought a Delta Qool and really happy with it. The espresso is lovely, I tend to have one in the morning and 1 or two in the afternoon. Will occasionally have a decaf in the evening if I fancy it. I never bother with milk anymore, it's either espresso or long black.

There's been a few studies released recently about the health benefits of drinking coffee, it's full of antioxidants, fibre and it's good for gut health. Happy days!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mrs B and I used to drink loads of big mugs of instant every day – probably six or seven – but then we invested in an all-singing, all-dancing Sage coffee machine and have no more than two a day.

People bang on about it keeping you awake at night, but I honestly don't get that. Mind you, back in the day, I once fell asleep in a club having been on Vodka Red Bulls all night :ROFLMAO:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I bought myself a coffee machine during lockdown and it is one of the best things I've ever purchased! There are some really good coffee's available and I can now drink black coffee whereas before with your normal everyday coffee I was always a milk person. I will have 3-4 cups in the morning, very rarely anything after that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I drink super strong coffee made in a stove top percolator or metal French press, but the whole thing’s a complete waste of time as I don’t have the caffeine/coffee gene so it does nothing. I drink it solely for the taste. Would love to experience the ‘rush’ but it ain’t ever gonna happen.
Same here in regard to the effect (or lack of) it has on me. I drink instant coffee - several mugs a day, and several mugs of tea too. I like the taste, but have never experienced any effects. No idea what a 'sugar rush' is like either, because I've never had one (and there's plenty of sugar in both my tea and my coffee!)

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
All this sacrilege here about adding milk/cream to an Americano. It's a double espresso with an equal amount of almost boiling water...simple as that. Drink it every day here in Spain.

Attachments

• Americano.png
    Americano.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 15

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have one cup of coffee per day around 11am, just plain old Nescafe Gold Blend, as caffeine now affects me. I don't even drink tea after 4.30pm. My other half, thrives on coffee, the stronger the better.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've not drunk instant coffee in years, can't stand the stuff. 2 or 3 proper coffees in the morning then tea for the rest of the day.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
A cup before driving to work, another when I arrive and then one every hour on the hour until about midday.
I work with a bunch of coffee fiends. I sometimes skip a round but they never do and all drink super strong coffee that looks like mud, even the strength of the smell is off-putting sometimes.
I seem to drink more at weekends if I'm on the ps5 for hours.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I'm part of an informal group of mates who bulk buy beans from a small roastery each month at trade price because we get so much between us. Works out as cheap as the supermarket but so much better. Different variety every month too which keeps it interesting.

I'll start the day with a cup of tea about 5am, first coffee with freshly ground beans and a bit of milk is around 5.45am. If I'm working from home I'll have another 3 or 4 cups but nothing after 3pm. If I'm in the office I'll revert to tea. I only ever used to drink tea and I'd find coffee snobs hugely irritating, but I now kind of understand a little bit of where they are coming from. I'm not a snob in the sense of judging what other people choose, but my tastes have definitely changed for coffee and I'm more fussy about it.

boik

Two a day, normally L'Or Americano at home or Americano with an extra Espresso shot from the work coffee machine. I need caffeine to function first thing.

Also espresso or double espresso after a good boozy restaurant lunch. Absolutely no sugar.
The reason you need caffeine to function is because your body has got used to having caffeine. Your shot of caffeine that gets you going only gets you back to where you would have been if you hadn't drank caffeine over the previous few days. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just explaining how it works.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The reason you need caffeine to function is because your body has got used to having caffeine. Your shot of caffeine that gets you going only gets you back to where you would have been if you hadn't drank caffeine over the previous few days. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just explaining how it works.
Oh, I know. It's a 35 year addiction. I do really like the taste of a strong black coffee though.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Recently upgraded to a Lavazza pod machine. The pods are compostable and if you subscribe to the coffee you can get the machine for free! Wife and I only have 1 a day first thing in the morning then its Earl Grey all the way.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Same here in regard to the effect (or lack of) it has on me. I drink instant coffee - several mugs a day, and several mugs of tea too. I like the taste, but have never experienced any effects. No idea what a 'sugar rush' is like either, because I've never had one (and there's plenty of sugar in both my tea and my coffee!)
Yep, same with sugar! As regards caffeine, I’m hoping that because we get none of the ‘benefits’ (for want of a better word) we also get none of the downsides such as raised blood pressure as that would seem unfair :) Teeth staining a given obviously.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, same with sugar! As regards caffeine, I’m hoping that because we get none of the ‘benefits’ (for want of a better word) we also get none of the downsides such as raised blood pressure as that would seem unfair :) Teeth staining a given obviously.
Blood pressure fine! Teeth not bad - more affected by the fact that I smoked for many years.

Fortunately, I do get to feel the affect of alcohol - missing that would be really unfair!

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I make myself a cappuccino first thing, then another coffee (cafetiere, or pour-over filter) later in the morning.

Occassionally I'll make myself an espresso after lunch, if I'm feeling particularly lethargic.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I used to like a black coffee with cream or a capuccino at the cafe, never at home. I'm currently off coffee and black tea completely though, which is fine at home but when meeting friends at a cafe I do find it hard. A coffee made from beans ground on site is worth £3 and not something I could replicate at home (without expensive machinery), something special. A mint tea bag dropped into boiling water and given to me (often without cold water added) is not. However, my mind and body is definitely better without the coffee. Such is the paradox of life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here