Cockney Rhyming Slang

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Had a book years ago on traditional cockney slang but cant find it, don't like the modern ones but here is a few good ones that I don't think have been mentioned.

tiddlywink - drink

Tiddlywink is a racial slur for a person who appears of Chinese origin

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Hampton Wick - Dick

Cor she was sucking on me Hampton!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought Tilbury Docks was a dose of the pox/clap

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Merchant Banker = Palace Fan
Berkley Hunt = Palace Fan
Grumble and Grunt = Palace Fan
Hampton Wick = Palace Fan
Jack and Danny = Palace Fan

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Given up because most shown on here are wrong IMHO and are made up new inventions of the original as I knew it, and just to keep going Almond Rocks are socks.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Given up because most shown on here are wrong IMHO and are made up new inventions of the original as I knew it, and just to keep going Almond Rocks are socks.

What you mean the original as you knew it not coming from London, can I ask what years you happened to be around all these genuine cockneys that made you the fount of all knowledge

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Almond rocks - Tilbury docks rhming slang for socks, where has BG gone?

I mostly heard it when I was young so they may have lied to me as they would not have wanted to have to explain what pox is, to be honest you hear a bit of it nowadays but nowhere near as much as you used to. But then again we seem to be losing everything to do with our identities. The kids/teenagers nowadays are more likely to be walking around with fake Jamaican/American Gangster accents.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What you mean the original as you knew it not coming from London, can I ask what years you happened to be around all these genuine cockneys that made you the fount of all knowledge

From the early 60s and I would suggest that you go back to singing about Sarf London being wonderful like the other couple of thousand that follow, as you cant say support Palace, because very few do as is shown by their administration recently.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
From the early 60s and I would suggest that you go back to singing about Sarf London being wonderful like the other couple of thousand that follow, as you cant say support Palace, because very few do as is shown by their administration recently.

Is that you're idea of a retort :facepalm:

I suggest you go back to talking about transfer rumours as most of the things you have said in this thread have been wrong but yet you think everyone else is wrong. As I said earlier, ignorance is bliss. You must be one of the happiest blokes alive

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What's rhyming slang for scones.

Well, my Grandad who was Pearly King of Walford and ran the Queen Vic, where rhyming slang was the only official language allowed, he used to call them Sconns.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

So I take it you would class yourself as a prescriptive rather than a descriptive linguist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports