[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Howard Webb was supposed to revolutionise the refereeing standards to make the EPL refs the best in the world,his words not mine,well that went well Howard, I do have some sympathy with referees who are now basically just there for show as VAR has one sucked the very life out of the game and two has actually had a impact on the refereeing standards to a detrimental effect.

Instead of wasting millions on VAR technology spend the money on educating and development of all referees,keep goal line technology and bin the rest, football has not been improved by VAR, it's been ripped to shreds by it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Umm. Source?

The last time I looked at this topic, the closest we’d got was a theory (Alcubierre metric) that proposed a possible mechanism. However, it required the creation and manipulation of negative energy, with the most likely starting point being the manipulation of dark matter/energy.

I think you’ll find we’re some distance away from a warp drive. We have a highly speculative theory which relies on a highly speculative energy source derived from a source that we have not yet isolated.
Just think what we could do with the Amex atmosphere if we found a way to manipulate negative energy. :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Careful what you wish for

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I just don’t know what the answer on this ideally is. Bin it entirely and you just know that first weekend there will be a load of goals that shouldn’t have counted because offsides or fouls were missed, or because a player has dived for a penalty. Sky have loved VAR because it gives them so many controversial moments to highlight, but binning it would mean their pundits can equally focus on goals that should not have stood. Wolves have started this vote idea, but you just know a team like that will be on the end of a refereeing blunder quickly into the season, with or without VAR, and then what do they say? Just accept it? Because people won’t just stop moaning about refs because VAR is gone. Whatever happens the circus will continue.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Again this is using duff stats assuming that var corrections are correct. It doesn't take into account situations like adingra's pen appeal last night where an error was made by onfield ref and var failed to intervene

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022

Those stats are not the right ones. Using them in this context is essentially trolling by that Twitter account. All that shows is decisions overturned by VAR. What it does not illustrate is incorrect decisions by VAR - like various incorrect lines for offside. Inconsistent decisions like today's not given penalty to us.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I just don’t know what the answer on this ideally is. Bin it entirely and you just know that first weekend there will be a load of goals that shouldn’t have counted because offsides or fouls were missed, or because a player has dived for a penalty. Sky have loved VAR because it gives them so many controversial moments to highlight, but binning it would mean their pundits can equally focus on goals that should not have stood. Wolves have started this vote idea, but you just know a team like that will be on the end of a refereeing blunder quickly into the season, with or without VAR, and then what do they say? Just accept it? Because people won’t just stop moaning about refs because VAR is gone. Whatever happens the circus will continue.
I don't know how many times it needs to be said but: the solution is better referees and officials. Pay them more and invest in training and have some actual accountability for mistakes.
It's EPL level soccer with part time standard officiating. They are not fit for purpose currently. It doesn't matter what tools or what rules or anything you give them, until they are of a higher standard nothing will change.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I don't know how many times it needs to be said but: the solution is better referees and officials. Pay them more and invest in training and have some actual accountability for mistakes.
It's EPL level soccer with part time standard officiating. They are not fit for purpose currently. It doesn't matter what tools or what rules or anything you give them, until they are of a higher standard nothing will change.
Well yes, but my point was in relation to the vote. Better trained refs is vital regardless.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I look forward to VAR being scrapped so we can return to the debates after every mistake from referees about how we urgently need to bring in VAR.

Honestly though, if a referee and a VAR can look at a player being kicked over in the box with no contact of any kind on the ball and not give a penalty then it comes back to what others have said: better trained officials.

Mind you, without VAR last night, that snidey, petulant little stain Cucurella would have won a penalty and Reece James wouldn't have had a red, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Most referees across the major leagues seem to be of a lower standard than they used to.

Part of this could be down to every moment being filmed from 15 different angles, whereas 20 years ago it didn't happen, so more is picked up.

We've also got to a point where no one in their right minds wants to be a ref, so you are left with a tiny pool.

You need to fix the issues of numbers before anything else.

FA/PL need to protect the refs more, there needs to be higher punishments for the likes of Klopp ( to be fair RDZ as well) who spend 90 minutes abusing and shouting at them, higher fines, quicker bans and eventually points deductions.

Same applies to players, refs should be camera'ed up, if a player crosses the line a ban follows.

It's really quite simple, none of these half arsed efforts we see every season that fall away after week 3.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I look forward to VAR being scrapped so we can return to the debates after every mistake from referees about how we urgently need to bring in VAR.

Honestly though, if a referee and a VAR can look at a player being kicked over in the box with no contact of any kind on the ball and not give a penalty then it comes back to what others have said: better trained officials.

Mind you, without VAR last night, that snidey, petulant little stain Cucurella would have won a penalty and Reece James wouldn't have had a red, so it's swings and roundabouts.
Yes, and in the game at the Bridge they wouldn't have been given an iffy, 50/50 subjective overturned penalty, and we would have been awarded a travesty of a handball penalty at the end. Would have been incredible.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Offside was designed to stop goal hanging not to decide if the strikers leg hair was longer than the defenders!! That added to the fact that for some play is allowed to develop while others the flag is raised immediately with no TV scrutiny.
Without VAR bad official's decisions seem to even out over a season.
With VAR bad decisions are all weighted towards the less wealthy/non-historically Premier League established clubs (6th downwards)
Pen last night obvious on SA - TL on Jesus far less obvious.

Get Rid - they won't of course

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports