Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Too many seeking perfection and it doesn’t exist. never has and never can. Therefore let’s allow human errors on the pitch rather than replacing them with ones off it plus killing the golden moment when a goal is scored.
If the refs were vaguely competent then you would have a point. They’re not and the reason var came in was because of the weekly f*** ups made by refs. VAR isn’t the problem … it’s the criminally incompetent refs, who manage, with depressing monotony to get it wrong. IF YOU CANT WORK VAR THEN YOU ARE’T FIT TO REFEREE.
we are trying to fix the wrong problem.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Offsides take too long and unreliable due to poor camera positions, it's a shame the semi automatic system won't be in place for the start of next season.
I still think a limited appeal system should be trialed and VAR should only step in for serious foul play or if the referee hasn't seen an incident for whatever reason.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Anyone want to change their opinion now? We were saved from another Salisbury disaster... by VAR.
Nope. I still say as I have always said - keep VAR. It works for smaller clubs to keep big club bias at bay. Just needs to be used properly. At the moment, we have quasi got rid of VAR. Which means they have raised the bar to a point that they leave some bad errors corrected. Get rid of VAR and all the errors will be uncorrected, yet still recorded by 30 odd Sky cameras and pointed out by umpteen pundits post match. Getting rid is a terrible idea. Getting right is the answer.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To cut a long thread short, we all know that it’s inexplicable that anyone wants to keep VAR.

For this reason, you just know a majority will vote to retain.
I watched Middlesbrough v Dirty Leeds a few weeks ago, the winning goal was miles offside. Do we want to go back to those type of decisions? Refs giving pens because players like Harry Kane wants one?
I think VAR could possibly work fine if it wasn’t work mates in Stockley Park.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes they can.

I'm not sure he is right though. The premier league is run and owned by the 20 member clubs and they can vote for what they like. I think the only authority that can over ride that is the FA who have a 'golden share' which they can use if they feel there is a decision they believe is not in the interests of the game. I will cede to Henry Winter if he can point to the rules of the premier league that state a individual, for example Masters, can over ride the decisions of the owners of the league!!!

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Funnily enough, VAR helped us tonight, with No penalty, and a disallowed goal, both for Chelsea.

Even after that, get rid until our referees can handle it like the Euros and World Cup.
Howard Webb has been useless.
The ref disallowed the goal I think? However the penalty that was over-turned was a howler!!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
It's easy to say the refs are incompetent and should all be replaced by better ones, but I can't help but notice that nobody seems to have a suggestion on how you'd achieve that? Who would even want to be a referee in this climate?

I fear if you get too aggressive with demoting or otherwise punishing refs, pretty soon we'd have no refs at all.

Maybe it needs massive investment in training refs and paying them enough to make it worth it. Also ensuring they are protected from abuse.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Funnily enough, VAR helped us tonight, with No penalty, and a disallowed goal, both for Chelsea.

Even after that, get rid until our referees can handle it like the Euros and World Cup.
Howard Webb has been useless.

I don't think it had any bearing on the match really. They scored pretty soon after the penalty anyway, so the game would just have gone into the 0-1 pattern a little earlier. Their disallowed goal was disallowed on the pitch, so no change there. Then the James kick out - the ref saw it, im sure, and was right in front of the fourth ref - almost certainly without VAR they'd have got together and sent him off, just last night they deferred the decision to VAR.

There was an incorrect offside but Chelsea messed up the chance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure he is right though. The premier league is run and owned by the 20 member clubs and they can vote for what they like. I think the only authority that can over ride that is the FA who have a 'golden share' which they can use if they feel there is a decision they believe is not in the interests of the game. I will cede to Henry Winter if he can point to the rules of the premier league that state an individual, for example Masters, can over ride the decisions of the owners of the league!!!
This. Winter MAY know better but my understanding is the same as this post.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I don't think it had any bearing on the match really. They scored pretty soon after the penalty anyway, so the game would just have gone into the 0-1 pattern a little earlier. Their disallowed goal was disallowed on the pitch, so no change there. Then the James kick out - the ref saw it, im sure, and was right in front of the fourth ref - almost certainly without VAR they'd have got together and sent him off, just last night they deferred the decision to VAR.

There was an incorrect offside but Chelsea messed up the chance.
What people are ignoring is that var has made the standard of on field officiating even worse. There is next to no way pre 2019 that cucurella would have been awarded that penalty. Whereas adingra's would most likely have been. But Gillett, Salisbury et Al have joined a bloated group of sub standard officials and brought everybody down to their level of mediocrity.

When pat Nevin says there are now 'more right decisions' he is misreading stats to say just because var over rule or don't over rule then the final decision is correct. Very few decisions which are ostensibly judgemental get observed to see if they were right. For example offside leading to a goal is checked but the multiple bad decisions not leading to one aren't.

Sadly for the pgmol they screwed their chance with var and damaged (potentially irreversibly) what could, on the face of it, have been a useful system.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What people are ignoring is that var has made the standard of on field officiating even worse. There is next to no way pre 2019 that cucurella would have been awarded that penalty. Whereas adingra's would most likely have been. But Gillett, Salisbury et Al have joined a bloated group of sub standard officials and brought everybody down to their level of mediocrity.

When pat Nevin says there are now 'more right decisions' he is misreading stats to say just because var over rule or don't over rule then the final decision is correct. Very few decisions which are ostensibly judgemental get observed to see if they were right. For example offside leading to a goal is checked but the multiple bad decisions not leading to one aren't.

Sadly for the pgmol they screwed their chance with var and damaged (potentially irreversibly) what could, on the face of it, have been a useful system.

Yep. The way i would do it is to get rid of the 'Stockley Park HQ' and officiate everything inside the stadium. The ref already consults with the linesmen when he wants to. He is already fitted with a mic and earpiece and talking to the 4th official. So just have that 4th official, who does next to nothing anyway, sitting in front of a TV screen and in constant comms with the ref. "You missed a handball there", " yard offside", "should be a corner, not a goalkick"- it would be so much quicker we would hardly notice it in the stands most of the time. Most importantly it allows the ref to initiate it - "I think the defender got the ball first but can you check that for me", "looked like a dive to me but can you make sure".

At the moment its so regimented - stop the play, get a hundred camera angles up, slow everything down, go to the screen, have a chat, takes forever. Every single TV viewer could see that Buonnaotte made a good tackle the first time we saw the replay, yet VAR had to watch it about ten times and then send Salisbury to the screen to do the same.

No, just keep the idea of a refereeing team at each stadium, just like we've always had, and equip then with a TV so they've got more tools at their disposal. Will still make mistakes, but less of them, and in realtime.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That 'penalty' last night illustrated the nonsense perfectly. Referee awards Chelsea a penalty. VAR whisper in his ear that they want to review it. Several minutes elapse. Finally they decide that they can't decide and send the referee over to the pitchside monitor to watch a replay. Another several minutes elapse, after which the referee overturns his original decision. OK it worked out in our favour in the end, but what a palaver! There has to be a better way

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
…Science has found a way to create warp drives that moves space around it…
Umm. Source?

The last time I looked at this topic, the closest we’d got was a theory (Alcubierre metric) that proposed a possible mechanism. However, it required the creation and manipulation of negative energy, with the most likely starting point being the manipulation of dark matter/energy.

I think you’ll find we’re some distance away from a warp drive. We have a highly speculative theory which relies on a highly speculative energy source derived from a source that we have not yet isolated.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
It's not the technology that's the problem, it's the incompetent baboons that operate it. They're the problem.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Would be wonderful if VAR was binned however I suspect it will undergo yet more fiddling and still be here next year,
VAR has become a cop out for referees into just not making decision's and just leave it to VAR combined with the linesmen not flagging for clearly offside which leaves players particularly defenders who then race back potentially pulling a fetlock

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here