Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club statements today an insult to fans' intelligence

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The club are right to keep it behind closed doors....you and I have no divine right to see any dirty linen. Oscar has given his reasons...good luck Oscar,thanks for getting into the play-offs again.
How many of you truly know the details behind Poyets departure...?...looking at this board tonight we don't have to put up with p1ss taking by other clubs,we do that ourselves...remember fans shouting 'Attack,Attack,Attack'...seems a lot them meant our own players and mangament team...be nice to see some old fashioned support for the team...you know ...SUPPORT!

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Maybe we're just all fur coat and no knickers?

Nice new ground, nice new academy, short of a few bob for the quality players needed for instant success.

How long do we need to wait with freezing cheeks?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The problems not the club it's the Sport.

Stan Collymore, with Danny Kelly, said something very true on tonight's show. Where is the achievement in winning something everyone expects you to win, Man City? This season the relegated sides 'win' more than the champions last year. So anyone still bleating on about our amazing attendances needs to take note that it hardly counts: that was yesteryears correlation with success. It's all now about TV and or national resources like gas and oil if you really want to compete! And we missed that boat this year, just like we did at the beginning of the 90s.

Mind the gap...it just got a LOT bigger.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
1.Gus had the funds and didn't deliver in the end.
2.Maybe Bloom like many fans has been unimpressed, with Oscars negative style and thought he would keep the funds in the bank.Knowing full well there would be a parting of the ways.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watch out everyone as Vulture is pinging the thumps down like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks for the thumps down Vulture

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The club are right to keep it behind closed doors....you and I have no divine right to see any dirty linen. Oscar has given his reasons...good luck Oscar,thanks for getting into the play-offs again.
How many of you truly know the details behind Poyets departure...?...looking at this board tonight we don't have to put up with p1ss taking by other clubs,we do that ourselves...remember fans shouting 'Attack,Attack,Attack'...seems a lot them meant our own players and mangament team...be nice to see some old fashioned support for the team...you know ...SUPPORT!

Couldnt the club have issued a short statement eg we couldnt agree on budget for next season to ensure we had a fair chance of promotion. Or couldnt agree on the money we could afford bringing players in or whatever without blaming anybody in particular

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Couldnt the club have issued a short statement eg we couldnt agree on budget for next season to ensure we had a fair chance of promotion. Or couldnt agree on the money we could afford bringing players in or whatever without blaming anybody in particular

Great idea BG, that's definitely going to attract decent players and a new manager.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Maybe...they might tomorrow...but the FFP rules will certainly effect a few clubs and I'm quite happy to wait till the club make a statement.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I suspect you're probably right in your guess of what actually did happen. What I would have liked is in that meeting someone from the club piped up and said something like: "Look, this is two years in a row, we want to keep these fans with us, how can we in all conscience look at them and give them another load of corporate nonsense that doesn't say anything at all. They actually care what happens here, and we are continually asking them to spend more money to follow this club. They deserve a straight answer."

Totally agree with Tooting. I can live with a statement along the lines of 'we're convinced that FFP will work so we are reducing our budget to reflect that and Oscar feels he cannot work within it' or 'we (the board) and OG have differing views on the style we want to adopt etc etc.' I don't think anyone would expect all the details on whatever the reason is. What I do think we should get is a broad idea of the reasons and some reassurance that the next guy will be not be looking for a way out for the same reasons this time next season.

This club is one of the largest best supported clubs in this division and one with an active and passionate supporter base a bit of limited honesty from the board would not go amiss at this point...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why is there an assumption that there is dirty linen to be aired. The whole thing seems fairly amicable, I don't see why there are suggestions that the whole affair hasn't been handled professionally. There doesn't have to be screaming and slanging matches when a manager leaves (as someone said this isn't Eastenders). We can assume that there are reasons why he left (and Poyet for that matter) and reasons why those reasons could not accommodated by the club. We all have a fairly good idea what those reasons are (at at least we think we do) so why not just come out and tell us (especially as we will just stand by our assumptions anyway) so we know what is happening.

I think it is interesting that in these situations many people fall back on the accpetance that the club 'should' behave like a business. Personally i think that, despite what they would have us think, football clubs are very very different to businesses and should be run as such. Maybe if we went back to viewing them as sporting clubs and part of the community then they would begin to behave a little more like something we are part of.

We give our heart and soul to something that 'decides' what we should and should not know about an important and recurring issue that effects all our daily lives.

I agree with the OP and think that our loyalty (without us there would be no club) should be rewarded with a little information about what is going on.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I have to say when I read Oscar's Open letter I was a bit like WTF? It was written as though he was always going to be leaving after a year, no explanation, nothing. I found it a little insulting too to be honest, no attempt to make up an excuse even, just pretending nothing has happened. It's all a bit strange, again.

It reminded me of another letter I read about a year ago. It was written by some fella who'd just ditched out of an Israeli club after one season. When he pitched up here it made me a touch nervous after Gus ditching out in the way that he did. This now makes Gus look like a stable and committed manager given that he stayed for more than a season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Great idea BG, that's definitely going to attract decent players and a new manager.

Surely, given all the total BS put out by every club in the league, any Manager or player is going to wait for his own negotiations before making decisions like that?

I mean we could tell the press we have the same budget as Man City but sooner or later we are going to have to prove it!

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
I thought Oscar's open letter to the fans followed a similar pattern to 95% of his press conferences - soulless, meaningless, and all a little predictable.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am beginning to form the conclusion that the club want to keep the first team ticking over with an affordable budget whilst developing the development infrastructure over the next few years. The problem with this is that they wont get a quality manager to accept that there will not be a big enough budget to compete in the short term, and they certainly wouldn't own up to such a plan to the fans. Their alternative is to lie to prospective managers and give them a job under false pretences.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I quit my dream job a year ago, there were some unpleasant issues behind it, mouthing off about them in public wasn't in anyone's interests, so I said nothing. I'm sure many others have been in similar situations and have done the same.

Oscar's unhappiness with some things behind the scenes at the Albion have been known for a while, but Naylor talking about them in the Argus or people breaking the story on a message board serves no benefit to our playoff chances, so it didn't happen.

but the difference is those anyone's are paying huge amounts
El Pres
something is drastically wrong and has been for ages (since before Gus went)
can you not see why people want to know

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
To lose one manager in these circumstances may be seen as unfortunate, to lose two may be seen as careless?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Well here's an old-fashioned notion. Maybe telling the truth might actually help further down the track, and avoid what we appear to have (again) here which is a situation where expectations and promises can't be met. It might help secure the right candidate and character for the task and budget.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well here's an old-fashioned notion. Maybe telling the truth might actually help further down the track, and avoid what we appear to have (again) here which is a situation where expectations and promises can't be met. It might help secure the right candidate and character for the task and budget.

I could clear the national debt if I was paid a £1 for every time I said that the last time this happened:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here