Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club shop

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The profit margin on kit is very low (@El Presidente covered this in the past, when Manure fanboys exaggerated the profit in Ronaldo rejoining).

Giving a loss to the club when unsold and discounted. So it’s a dilemma to club each close season on how much to order. No one knew it was going to pan out so well on the pitch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The profit margin on kit is very low (@El Presidente covered this in the past, when Manure fanboys exaggerated the profit in Ronaldo rejoining).

Giving a loss to the club when unsold and discounted. So it’s a dilemma to club each close season on how much to order. No one knew it was going to pan out so well on the pitch.
Yep, a wonderful thing is hindsight.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the poster was referring to the fact that a lot of replica kit is currently out of stock.
There are the red away shirts, which I saw being bought on Good Friday by Japanese youngsters, also queuing up to have the name put on the back.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Is that true? I’ve always considered them overpriced tat that I resent buying x3 for both my boys.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Got a BHA hoodie for Xmas (my 3rd or 4th, can never have enough BHAFC hoodies even as an old fart) and it was really good quality and thicker than my others. Obviously an error by Nike, I'm sure it'll be rectified in the new ranges.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I always think most of our clothing merch looks a bit cheap and naff. Those special semi-final shirts are pretty horrible. Was going to buy another club t-shirt for Sunday, but literally the only one I liked is sold out.

For a club and city that prides itself on having a bit of style, the range is really disappointing.

Last edited:

E1BBN2

Mar 29, 2023
I’d personally rather the club moved away from using Nike. It’s starting to feel like they are getting a monopoly on providing kit to clubs and as a result, every team is ending up with generic same looking stuff, even all the training gear.
As an example- Brighton, Liverpool and England Black GK kit is identical apart from badges and sponsor.
It’s boring.
I want to look back in a few years an think “remember how great that kit was”, not “they all looked the same”

I also think that if we stay with Nike, in 2/3 seasons time, they’ll be charging us £75 a shirt.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I say lets go with Mizuno like Lazio have done, & jump on that Japanese money train even more!

lazio 22 23 kits (1).jpg

Last edited:

Just wait for the new home kit, we will have placed a MASSIVE order with Nike as this season's has been out of stock for more than half the season.

Then we will sell Mitoma and our Japanese fans will follow him leaving us with an enormous stockpile of kit to be sold at a loss or sent to landfill.

Joking aside it's clearly a balancing act of not over ordering and not being out of stock for months and turning away sales. There was a global kit supply issue last summer wasn't there? So perhaps Nike have not been able to supply as much kit as we wanted?

With the lead times and almost every football club wanting a new kit delivered between June and July each year, I'm sure our next kit has already been designed and is in production ready for the summer. So selling out quickly and then joining the back of the queue for a top-up order probably is the main problem we've had this year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shirts cost £5 to make in the Far East, clubs make just 7.5% commission, Nike or Adidas grab the lions share.

Instead they pay a fixed lump sum kit deal to clubs. The Albion-Nike deal is guessed at £2.5m per year.
If the official outlet(s) won't satisfy demand, there's a humungous number of suppliers in the region who will, at a fraction of the price. Check out your FB feed when the new season new kit next gets announced. You'll have a small window of opportunity to buy the kit at source, for little more than a tenner before that source gets shut down. Either the club gets its act together kit-wise, or other suppliers will flood in to fill the void, at far cheaper prices

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the official outlet(s) won't satisfy demand, there's a humungous number of suppliers in the region who will, at a fraction of the price. Check out your FB feed when the new season new kit next gets announced. You'll have a small window of opportunity to buy the kit at source, for little more than a tenner before that source gets shut down. Either the club gets its act together kit-wise, or other suppliers will flood in to fill the void, at far cheaper prices

The only Albion kit I've ever owned was (bought at the time in 1977) a Butkta home shirt with 8 on the back.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I guess no one could predict the number of new fans and particularly Japanese fans that would be hoovering up merchandise from the club shop.

God knows how many we'd sell of they were available and didn't look like they were designed by the work experience boy.

I suspect they'll wait to see if Mitoma signs a new deal before ordering 50k home shirts though :)

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I also recall that when the new home kit was revealed there was a Potteresque sucking of air through teeth - I think it was particularly the yellow bit, and the "H" formed by the white. So maybe they didn't want to overdo the second production run in case there was a poor uptake after the initial purchase run.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I also recall that when the new home kit was revealed there was a Potteresque sucking of air through teeth - I think it was particularly the yellow bit, and the "H" formed by the white. So maybe they didn't want to overdo the second production run in case there was a poor uptake after the initial purchase run.
Running short on replica kit late in the season has been a problem for years. Nothing to do with the popularity.

I can think of many worse kits than the current ones over the years.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Running short on replica kit late in the season has been a problem for years. Nothing to do with the popularity.

I can think of many worse kits than the current ones over the years.
Late in the season is one thing, having sold out before December, when the season was only a quarter of the way through?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here