Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club Recruitment

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
The fact we've cut White's loan deal short and compensated Leeds for that suggests that Dunk might be sold in January to free up funds to strengthen the squad. The question is whether we have the players lined up to sign in January. We're rapidly running out of time.

No we haven’t !!!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The laughable thing is how we all lambast Palace for throwing huge money at players who are too old and yet there they are again comfortably staying up whilst our smart approach of investing in the future on unheard of useless overseas noddy league players is about to cost us £140m in lost prem league income. To think they have Cahill and we have spunked £20m on Webster which we will never recoup.
Yep tosun as well, an absolute no brainer of a signing.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The fact we've cut White's loan deal short and compensated Leeds for that suggests that Dunk might be sold in January to free up funds to strengthen the squad. The question is whether we have the players lined up to sign in January. We're rapidly running out of time.

What are you talking about? We’ve not recalled anyone.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The laughable thing is how we all lambast Palace for throwing huge money at players who are too old and yet there they are again comfortably staying up whilst our smart approach of investing in the future on unheard of useless overseas noddy league players is about to cost us £140m in lost prem league income. To think they have Cahill and we have spunked £20m on Webster which we will never recoup.

I think we lack premier league experienced players as a whole, can hardly think of any we got in since we came up.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think we lack premier league experienced players , can hardly think of one since we came up.

We've not actually made one signing that is proven in a top european division in three years. Possibly Gross who'd just been relegated from Bundesliga. The experiment has massively failed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we compare this season to the previous TWO then I see the gains and losses as follows:

Gains: Dan Burn an upgrade on Bernardo. Mooy an upgrade on Bissouma, Trossard an upgrade on Knockaert, Maupay an upgrade on Andone. Improvements from Ali J and Gross, Connolly's emergence a bonus. More possession, more shots on goals, we give it a go. Discipline better.

Losses: Loss of Bruno huge - RB a problem area. Webster a downgrade on Duffy - Duffy/Dunk was the heart of the side. Murray - fallen off a cliff, game over. Overall, a loss of leadership, nous and inspiration.

So the gains outweigh the losses, and yet the losses in themselves are bigger. Bringing back Duffy is a must, a striker is a must and a right-back would be nice. We need more character.

I wouldn't say Connolly's emergence has been all that much of a gain really. He had a blinder against Spurs, but since then... :shrug: On balance, he's contributed about as much as Locadia did last year with his Millwall goal. I'm not saying Connolly won't improve, it's just that he isn't really a major bonus yet.

Everything else I fully agree with. Webster needs to be taken out of the firing line for his own good but I'm not comfortable with the amount of stick he's getting, as if he is the cause of this shit run of form.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
What are you talking about? We’ve not recalled anyone.
Apologies. Got caught out on Twitter by some idiot with too much on time on his hands.
7189034203ed6660f60b87096dbe8ba3.jpg

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We've not actually made one signing that is proven in a top european division in three years. Possibly Gross who'd just been relegated from Bundesliga. The experiment has massively failed.

It’s quite true, one of the most disappointing things about our 3 years in the top flight is just how little memorable impact we’ve made. I don’t think we’ll be missed, we’ve stunk the place out for much of our stay.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does anyone have results / stats when Duffy has played ? I honestly can't fathom why he doesn't play

It can only be because he’d be less accomplished at the intricate Tika Taka between Ryan, Dunk, Webster and Burn. They can keep it going for up to a minute at a time, until the high press scuppers it. With Duffy that very impressive time would be halved.

Plus Burn and Webster have created a shed load of PL goals with their range of passing.

Duffy’s seen as a bit of a dinosaur.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It can only be because he’d be less accomplished at the intricate Tika Taka between Ryan, Dunk, Webster and Burn. They can keep it going for up to a minute at a time, until the high press scuppers it. With Duffy that very impressive time would be halved.

Plus Burn and Webster have created a shed load of PL goals with their range of passing.

Duffy’s seen as a bit of a dinosaur.

Then play the 3 central defenders.

Watch that Bournemouth 3rd goal again. Webster made 3 mistakes in the space of 3 seconds.

1. He knocks the ball into the path of the forward.

2. He points for Ryan to come for the ball when he is closer to it.

3. And the worst of all is he stops as the forward is rounding the keeper. If he had kept going and covered the goal line he would have cleared it. Both Duffy and Dunk would have cleared that off the line.

That third goal doesn't go in and when Mooy scored then you are only one goal down with 10 mins to go and the momentum swings in Brighton' favour again.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Watch that Bournemouth 3rd goal again. Webster made 3 mistakes in the space of 3 seconds.

3. And the worst of all is he stops as the forward is rounding the keeper. If he had kept going and covered the goal line he would have cleared it. Both Duffy and Dunk would have cleared that off the line.

That third goal doesn't go in and when Mooy scored then you are only one goal down with 10 mins to go and the momentum swings in Brighton' favour again.

100% this. No way Dunk or Duffy wouldn’t have got back and given everything to block once Ryan had been rounded. You could visibly see Webster give up. I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt so far but that has shown him up big time and he needs dropping.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My ideal defence would be:

New RB (in this window) Duffy Dunk Bernardo

That may lose some of the footballing genius of Webster and Burn, but it’s a back to defending basics set up,

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
The worst recruitment we have done is getting a manager with no premier league experience and sacking a manager that has kept us up for 2 years.

Who, if we had sat down with him (CH) at the end of last season for a review and discussed a more adventurous style of football, backing him up in the summer transfer window, would probably have us in the top half now.

theboybilly

If we don't spend some serious money on a midfield general and a strong CF we are going down. Pedestrian football, near and tidy passing it about but no one to break up the play and no killer instinct going forward

If ever a match showed how much this is true it was tonight's. We needed somebody to boss that midfield as Bournemouth were pulling all the dodgy strokes yet our players were too lightweight. That was the only real difference tonight as Bournemouth were very average until that 6 minute spell at the end of the half when Albion lost the plot. We just can't outmuscle anyone. I like Trossard but he is a luxury player away from home and isn't strong enough physically. We really need a CF from somewhere or we are going down as there is just not enough goals in this squad to get the points we need. Letting Locardia and Andone go with no replacement will cause heads to roll come May.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My ideal defence would be:

New RB (in this window) Duffy Dunk Bernardo

That may lose some of the footballing genius of Webster and Burn, but it’s a back to defending basics set up,

I am not seeing "football genius"

I am seeing open attacking football which is great if you are a " neutral spectator ".

It really is superb to watch as a fan at times. However there is no plan for recovery if an attack breaks down and you get "counter attacked" Every player in the team should know who the should be marking if a team hits you on the break.

But how can you do that when players are operating all over the place on the pitch.

There is absolutely no structure and no shape to the team defensively. And I said. It is pleasing on the eye. However all those TV Pundits drooling over don't feel any pain when the team concedes on the counter attack like the fans do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here