Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club are wanting to make two signings by weeks end...

How many new Albion?

Votes: 5 3.8%

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 1 signing and 1 loan

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • 2 loans

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • NONE

Votes: 101 75.9%
  • I don't know, all I know is I love you Viper and I want you to serenade me to sleep

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'd love someone who is outraged by all this to answer a couple of questions.

1) Why does it MATTER whether we sign players on June 4th, July 4th or August 4th? Surely it's all about getting the right players, and just like in-demand players won't commit to clubs early, good clubs shouldn't be settling for second best this early. If we've barely made a move by August 9th then kick off. It's not like we've got a game and points to play for tomorrow, so why the rush?

2) Can anyone who is seemingly outraged by our lack of activity possibly justify why they are getting worked up about second division football on July 4th, when the World Cup is in full swing and there is a PLETHORA of summer activities/events to be enjoying instead?

1. I know alot of people do seem to be very annoyed at our lack of activity and for whatever reason that is idk, but the fact that possibly for the 10th or so window running we've had a manager come out, say he desperately needs players by X date, only for absolutely nothing to happen probably does annoy alot of people. It's like when you get told a delivery day when ordering online, and you get a 3 day window like this time from Tuesday when it was said to Friday, and it doesn't show up. You're disappointed and eventually you get bored with the same old drivel spun out time in time out. The post claims 'Royal Mails fault' and the mail claims 'Senders Fault' or 'Unknown mix up'. The club claims agents of players fault and the player and agents claims clubs fault, and we still don't have the center half and goalkeeper that were badly wanted by today apparently.

2. Again, I'm not one of the outraged, I'm just a bit bored/disappointed with the same old stuff said to the press about players coming in by X date and not. But you do realise that club football and international football/Wimbledon/Festivals/Holidays can run side by side yes? Also, given England are already out it's quite natural for the fans to turn back to club activities, especially when the club is giving big deal deadlines in regards to kits etc.

1) Why does it MATTER whether we sign players on June 4th, July 4th or August 4th? Surely it's all about getting the right players, and just like in-demand players won't commit to clubs early, good clubs shouldn't be settling for second best this early. If we've barely made a move by August 9th then kick off. It's not like we've got a game and points to play for tomorrow, so why the rush?
2) Can anyone who is seemingly outraged by our lack of activity possibly justify why they are getting worked up about second division football on July 4th, when the World Cup is in full swing and there is a PLETHORA of summer activities/events to be enjoying instead?

I'm not outraged but I can answer one of your questions.

1) The earlier a player is signed the earlier that player can settle in at the club, become used to the new players they find themselves with, find a place a to live and adapt to the coaching techniques of their new manager. The earlier this is done the better IMHO but if you have a choice of signing the right player later or signing someone who'll make do early then I'll go with the former.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

Perhaps people see an erosion of the squad over the last couple of windows with the club seemingly unwilling or unable to act. I don't think we can call the last 2 windows a success by any means unless you count funds in and I guess people have lost a little confidence in Burke etc being able to deliver when needed and this is relevant this time particularly when we currently have 16 fit first team squad players and possibly need 6/7 in. We also see all these articles on the website about best crowds, record numbers ordering new kits etc and yet Brentford, Bournemouth etc appear to be able to out bid us at the moment. Whilst I am fairly relaxed about signings it does not mean that I would not rather see some activity soon.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I appreciate that to an extent, but you can sign players in January who establish themselves as the best player in the team by the end of the season. Similarly, you can hire a new manager in October and find he has rejuvenated a team by December. So having everything in place by June is not necessarily always the answer. And I agree with your last point, which is pretty much what I'm saying too. You have to trust that the reason we aren't signing players isn't because we can't, but rather because we are holding out for the best we can get. If it was just a numbers game we could surely get five men in next week.
If we had had a busy January or a busy preseason last summer I think most people would be in complete agreement with you. Unfortunately a third window appears to be another slow and ponderous slog towards mediocrity.

I live with hope, but not in expectation.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
That could be related to the amount we pay for tickets/Sky Sports/shirts/etc - perhaps when we are paying so much to support our team, we have the right to feel entitled.

Entitled to what?

You buy a ticket to watch 90 minutes of football and, presumably, you do.
You buy a shirt and you get it.
The Albion don't charge you to watch Sky Sports.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I had the same result as 98 other people, i.e. none. :-(

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Just matter of hours when announcement of signing Niki Mäenpää will be published.
And he already has a chant. The end of DJ Pied Piper's - Do You Really Like It?

The song goes, Aiya Napa, Aiya Napa, Aiya Napa fresh!

We'd chant Niki Maenpaa, Maenpaa, Marnpaa Finn!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
1. I know alot of people do seem to be very annoyed at our lack of activity and for whatever reason that is idk, but the fact that possibly for the 10th or so window running we've had a manager come out, say he desperately needs players by X date, only for absolutely nothing to happen probably does annoy alot of people. It's like when you get told a delivery day when ordering online, and you get a 3 day window like this time from Tuesday when it was said to Friday, and it doesn't show up. You're disappointed and eventually you get bored with the same old drivel spun out time in time out. The post claims 'Royal Mails fault' and the mail claims 'Senders Fault' or 'Unknown mix up'. The club claims agents of players fault and the player and agents claims clubs fault, and we still don't have the center half and goalkeeper that were badly wanted by today apparently.

I really don't get this ide that the club have always failed to deliver. Yes, at Withdean we were generally the last to get players but under Poyet that changed. Bloom backed him with serious money and the last summer transfer window at Withdean and both he had at the Amex were very productive. Last year wasn't great in terms of signings but we still came sixth at the end of the season despite the worst injury record I've known in my 25 years of watching.

I just don't see that much to be so negative about. Complete Badger is completely right, there's so much football stress during the season watching Albion that you would think people would not want to stress too much at the moment and trust the club to have a team ready to play Sheffield Wednesday next month. Instead there's a real anger towards the club, which I don't understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here