Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Have you heard that is official now....I know it’s not reopened ..but also there are no signs on the door to say anything apart from the menu..and I’ve not seen anything in the Herald

Been told that's it's up for sale by another landlord in Shoreham. Sad if true as I always liked the festivals there, although it really needed some money spent on it and it had become really grubby inside in recent years. Hopefully someone will take it on but I'm sceptical that this will happen anytime soon due to Covid and people not having much money to invest on taking on what I believe is a 'free house'. Would love to see it re-open in the future.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Dead Lion is somewhat run down, but it is a very old Tavern, would be nice to see it restored/renovated and to reopen.

The Beer festivals were nice when they started, but by 2005 ish had just truned into a chav fest with a load of rugger buggers thrown in for good measure . . . . being fenced in was the icing in oits cake. THere are far better and more civilised events nearby.

My biggest gripe with ther place is always twatting my head whenever I go there.

Ferry is shut, and for sale, Bridge has only recently re opened.

not sure about the Piston broke?

Surrey, Burrels, MOrning Star and the Hebe are long gone ;-)

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Has the Horns Lodge at Chailey reopened?

A former colleague had it for a bit, but he was to the licence trade what Greg Stanley was to flower arranging.

No, it's still shut, and I can't see it reopening. It's on my route to the Amex, and was looking a bit more derelict each time I went. I remember back in the 1990s it was more or less a locals' pub that did a bit of food (mostly fried stuff - sausage, egg, etc and perhaps a mixed grill). Then we went in 2014 (a horrible time, as my old man was in Mill View, and we only stopped as we needed something to eat on the way), and they'd really spruced it up: friendly landlord at the bar, still mostly pub grub but good. Then I think it was the 2017-2018 season I noticed there were very few cars in the car park, so I looked it up and it was getting very poor reviews. Finally, at some point last season it was for sale. Now it is boarded up and not in good condition. The Five Bells, which was a gastro pub, has now taken over with pub grub. That section of the A275 used to be lined with pubs: from north to south you had the King's Head (now offices/flats), the Five Bells (still going), the Horns Lodge (as above), the Swan (private house), the Rainbow (still going; as a Revived Inn; it was closed for a while), the Pump House (now houses), the Blacksmith's Arms (still going), and the Chalk Pit (now an Indian restaurant, which I think is also struggling - I've never seen a customer's car outside it). That closed shortly after getting a poor hygiene report. So, 8 down to 3.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Crabtree Re-opening today or Monday I believe. Matt Short's Regency Corporation will be holding it for the time being.

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The Dead Lion is somewhat run down, but it is a very old Tavern, would be nice to see it restored/renovated and to reopen.

The Beer festivals were nice when they started, but by 2005 ish had just truned into a chav fest with a load of rugger buggers thrown in for good measure . . . . being fenced in was the icing in oits cake. THere are far better and more civilised events nearby.

My biggest gripe with ther place is always twatting my head whenever I go there.

Ferry is shut, and for sale, Bridge has only recently re opened.

not sure about the Piston broke?

Surrey, Burrels, MOrning Star and the Hebe are long gone ;-)
You'll be bemoaning the loss of the Kings head and the Norfolk next ;-)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Biffer , what's going on with editing? What can't you tell people?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
You'll be bemoaning the loss of the Kings head and the Norfolk next ;-)

I'm more upset by the loss of the Kingston Inn, Arundel Arms and Green Jackets.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If Balcombe loses it’s only pub, that’s 2000 people without any sort of hub. Nearly every shop has closed. Village sort of needs redesigning, the historic centre needs several houses demolishing and a new ‘this side of the main road’ shops and cafes, another pub and maybe a restaurant being built with parking. Could be sustained I reckon. Parking is the key. People are too fecking lazy to walk. So vital to have plenty of, for people to stop for an hour, unload children from Chelsea tractor etc. Of course, it’ll never happen. Too much money needed.

Ardingly lost the Oak a while back. Least still got 3 others though, even if smaller. Had 6, less than two decades ago. Such a shame.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In less gloomy news, I'm heartened to see the Marlipins re-opened last week. Sat outside in the evening sun for a couple of cheeky ones, before sloping along to the Indian Cottage for a ruby. Made for a very pleasant evening.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If Balcombe loses it’s only pub, that’s 2000 people without any sort of hub. Nearly every shop has closed. Village sort of needs redesigning, the historic centre needs several houses demolishing and a new ‘this side of the main road’ shops and cafes, another pub and maybe a restaurant being built with parking. Could be sustained I reckon. Parking is the key. People are too fecking lazy to walk. So vital to have plenty of, for people to stop for an hour, unload children from Chelsea tractor etc. Of course, it’ll never happen. Too much money needed.

Ardingly lost the Oak a while back. Least still got 3 others though, even if smaller. Had 6, less than two decades ago. Such a shame.

Is the petrol station still there ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here