Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The Pump house was only called that for approx last ten years. Before that it was ... can`t remember but used to drink there mid/late seventies.

Just come to me it was the "Hop Leaf" had a very early space invaders machine.

theboybilly

Not a closed pub but a name change.

Anyone know what the Ferry Rigg Inn in Shoreham was previously called?

From what I've heard the new licensee is named Rigg hence the name change such as it is. I can't see the point but then I wouldn't use that pub all the time there is the Old Star, Welly and a fair few more pubs locally to drink in

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is now gone. My first pub.

45295.jpg

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Golden Cross in ,er, Golden Cross is looking rather forlorn. Not sure how long it has been closed.
The pub in Ripe, ( can’t remember what it was called) is now houses.
The Rose Cottage Inn in Alciston has closed again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Montpelier Arms, Montpelier Place has closed. From tomorrow becoming a cafe serving brunches and pancakes.

We had many a great afternoon or evening there in the late 80’s and early 90’s. The sexist landlord would only hire attractive barmaids.

Another pub gone.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
The Brickmakers Arms in Ridgewood, Uckfield closed in November & was sold at auction to the Hoogstraten family, so likely to be left to deteriorate for several months/years, then demolished to make way for a new housing development.

I also understand that The Ringles Cross pub at the north end of Uckfield is also currently closed, but there are rumours of new tenants.

On the positive side, while The Lamb at Piltdown on the A272 has been closed for several months, I understand that it is currently being refurbished to reopen again in February back in it's guise as The Piltdown Man.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Sloop Inn, Scaynes Hill closed last Tuesday.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm pleased to see that The Great Eastern in Trafalgar St (which was under threat of closure) has now re-opened.

It's also good to see The Office in Sydney St is called The Green Dragon once again - it's the natural order

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I'm pleased to see that The Great Eastern in Trafalgar St (which was under threat of closure) has now re-opened.

It's also good to see The Office in Sydney St is called The Green Dragon once again - it's the natural order

They were both owned by the same pub company and have now changed hands along with the St James, that is being refurbished very soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The Brickmakers Arms in Ridgewood, Uckfield closed in November & was sold at auction to the Hoogstraten family, so likely to be left to deteriorate for several months/years, then demolished to make way for a new housing development.

i travelled back up to Sussex for the Brickies farewell weekend. Met many friends from the past - including plenty of Brighton fans - over the two days. Despite it being a very sad occasion we all had a blast.

Final, last orders was a bit poignent mind. :(

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Heard today that The Roebuck in Laughton has closed.
I don't know if it is Covid related, or for another reason.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Heard today that The Roebuck in Laughton has closed.
I don't know if it is Covid related, or for another reason.

Worked there one Christmas. No locals, only parties in the function room both lunchtime and evenings. Made a killing. Paid coach drivers to stop off on the way down and back to Eastbourne. Little old ladies paid over the top for 'home brewed' bottles of cider and mead not knowing I'd spent all morning taking the Merrydown labels off the bottles.
I learnt a lot from the landlord. For instance, all you can drink cabaret parties. Arrive at pub but landlord not available with tickets so have to buy first drink. Landlord arrives with tickets but only time to get one free drink as food is served. After food time for one drink as cabaret starts and no moving permitted. After cabaret time for one drink before last orders. Then bar reopens but all cash sales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here