Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clock tower in the 1960s

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Tragic story about the Clock Tower during the war. It was surrounded by a railing. In the blackout one night, a young woman ran from the Quardrant side to the Clock Tower and crashed into the railings and was killed. Anyone else remember this incident?

Kev the Ape

:clap2: great pic, doesnt look like even anythink life its all dead. Now look at it boots and other shops and even for the ladies anne summers.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
I was born in the Hanover area Southover St, when we got married in 75 me and Mrs Sullyupthewing were looking to buy a house we looked at some in the area as the one's in bad condition were selling for around £4000 with every grant available to renovate them, we did not buy one and with hindsight it was a mistake as I would have loved to carry on living there.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Did any of You see The Rolling stones at The Big Apple on 10th March 1971. The venue was formely The Regent Ballroom (a bit before my time)!! The Stones had just released "Sticky Fingers", and were supported by The Groundhogs. Tickets cost about 80p!! That same week I saw Yes playing there, & Jethro Tull at The Dome. Marvellous scenes!

corrallt

Feb 14, 2004
Kent
I saw the stones at the Big Apple from the front of the stage having got in free via back door. You may recall that tickets for the gig went on sale the night Albion were playing Fulham (they won 3-2 - fist win in many games) so I did not queue with my mates for tickets but choose the albion instead. Best of both worlds.
What about East of Eden at big aplle New year's Eve

corrallt

Feb 14, 2004
Kent
more Big Apple memories:
Johnny Winter
T Rex
Leon Russell
"Stop throwing the F....ing cushions"

Does anyone remember following Edgar Broughton band on back of a lorry to play a free gig from Churchill Square to Dyke before he "got busted, man" and all back to Brighton police station to chant Out Demons Out?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Johnny Winter And, featuring Rick Derringer was The Big Apple Highlight for me. Status Quo were often the support act there! Sadly, I do remember The Edgar Broughton Churchill Square fiasco. I've been trying to forget it for years!

tonytw

Jun 1, 2004
A long way away
i saw the Edgar Broughton Band at churchill square, i also saw t rex and the quo at big apple, what days they were !!

as for the stones gig, i queued up all night to get a ticket......only to be told it was sold out !!!! still had a great laugh that night tho

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Binney_on_acid said:
Did any of You see The Rolling stones at The Big Apple on 10th March 1971. The venue was formely The Regent Ballroom (a bit before my time)!! The Stones had just released "Sticky Fingers", and were supported by The Groundhogs. Tickets cost about 80p!! That same week I saw Yes playing there, & Jethro Tull at The Dome. Marvellous scenes!

Were you following me around in those days?:lolol:

I went to both of those....and many, many others at Big Apple...all of those bloody stairs:eek: They'd never get away with the total disregard for safety these days.

Great times, great memories.

Had tickets for Elton John who cancelled so we were told we could see the next act who cancelled-eventually seeing Johnny Winter a few weeks later. T-Rex (supported by Status Quo if memory is still functional) was memorable too!

D

Deleted User X18H

afters said:
same for me, exactly. good quiz!

hb&B must be a banker for at least 18 or 19 on that given his local obsessions
I can't play it at work but directly I get home.............................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here