Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clock tower in the 1960s

Remember the opening caption to the film of "Brighton Rock"?

This mentions the Council's slum clearance programme and its part in ridding the town of its notorious gangs. Not quite true, of course, but the Council weren't happy about the impression that the town was still riddled with trouble.

The Richmond Hill clearance was what they had in mind.

Having mentioned my involvement in developing the Withdean Park & Ride service, I'm reminded that the person at Brighton Borough Council that I worked closest with in the late 1980s / early 90s was the son of Councillor Milner-Black (after whom the Milner Flats were named).

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Brovian said:
Remember it well! The place behind the clock tower (where Boots now is) used to be Virgin Records in the early 1970s. You used to be able to go in there, sit on the cushions and listen to LPs all Saturday morning; Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP, Incredible String Band, Edgar Broughton, etc. Ah! those were the days! Just looking at the photo makes me feel 14 again.

I remember it well. Graham Funnell and I would often skive off an afternoon in the sixth form and spend it all in Virgin Records and sometimes nip down to Moth Records at the top of the Lanes

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
I remember it well. Graham Funnell and I would often skive off an afternoon in the sixth form and spend it all in Virgin Records and sometimes nip down to Moth Records at the top of the Lanes
So that's why Mr Brayshaw could never find the pair of you!:lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Brovian said:
So that's why Mr Brayshaw could never find the pair of you!:lolol:

Graham inherited his dad's light blue 3.4 Jag when he died in 1971, he was the only 6th former I knew who owned a Jag!!! We would go curb crawling together in Brighton - round the clock tower and Old Steine - on a Friday night and invariably end up at Sherrys!!!

Oh happy times!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On the Left Wing said:

Moth Records!! Now there's another memory.

All those wasted hours sifting through racks of vinyl...sigh.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Has anyone else done the quizzes on that website? I got full marks on the easy one, 15 on the difficult.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jeez, I don't need any more distractions. I have two reviews to finish by 5.30.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Man of Harveys said:
Has anyone else done the quizzes on that website? I got full marks on the easy one, 15 on the difficult.

same for me, exactly. good quiz!

hb&B must be a banker for at least 18 or 19 on that given his local obsessions

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The quiz doesn't work for me (and yes, I have Flash player installed)

Phew, I can get back to work now...:)

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Brovian said:
Remember it well! The place behind the clock tower (where Boots now is) used to be Virgin Records in the early 1970s. You used to be able to go in there, sit on the cushions and listen to LPs all Saturday morning; Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP, Incredible String Band, Edgar Broughton, etc. Ah! those were the days! Just looking at the photo makes me feel 14 again.

I remember those cushions with old heads spreadeagledall over them. Who would have thought it would become an airline.

About the same time there was the Cottage record shop, a treasure trove of obscure 70s music at ultra cheap prices.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Theatre of Trees said:
clocktower_looking_east.jpg

Interesting view of the northern side of the Clock Tower in 1967 none of which exists today. Anyone remember the really stinky loos that used to be underneath it?

Yes, I remember them! They always had "dirty old men" in them. Perhapse they were the start of the whole Brighton gay scene! :lolol: :lolol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jack said:
Dear Theatre of Trees/Captain Beaky

Nice picture! And glad it's prompted memories, which is what it's intended to do. No problem with you copying it from the My Brighton and Hove website, among the other 1960s photos that have just been put up. But when you do, could you give us a credit so other people go and look at the site. Thanks!

Cracking websites

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Still can't get the Easy quiz to work but got 14 in the difficult one.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Have to say that website is excellent. Shame more of the pics are not in colour, which is what makes the one at the start of the thread so appealing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here