Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clement watch......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm more worried about the stability of the club on the playing side. Are we really going down the route of trying out young managers/coaches every season?

Bringing in young coaches has worked, people can see coming to Brighton can further your career. Eventually one will stay and get you promoted, after that it's a lottery.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I know its not what some people want to hear but He's done well with Ancellotti, big teams and players - big gamble for us and him to move to a managers job with a championship squad low budget and wage restrictions.

Take out the Ancellotti factor and the success he has had with him and you are left with a coach. On paper Joe Jordan would make a great manager look at what he has done with 'arry but he has never quite cut it alone despite some success.

I just wonder if its the wrong time for him and us - many on here thought OG was the man because of his previous clubs but look how that turned out and we need to make next season successful - to lose 2 managers and fail in similar fashion might be unlucky but 3 times ......

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know its not what some people want to hear but He's done well with Ancellotti, big teams and players - big gamble for us and him to move to a managers job with a championship squad low budget and wage restrictions.

Take out the Ancellotti factor and the success he has had with him and you are left with a coach. On paper Joe Jordan would make a great manager look at what he has done with 'arry but he has never quite cut it alone despite some success.

I just wonder if its the wrong time for him and us - many on here thought OG was the man because of his previous clubs but look how that turned out and we need to make next season successful - to lose 2 managers and fail in similar fashion might be unlucky but 3 times ......

Low budget?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I'm more worried about the stability of the club on the playing side. Are we really going down the route of trying out young managers/coaches every season?

We have had 3 managers in 5 years under Bloom. That isn't that bad. I know there is an argument that under the new structure of Burke and Barber we have had 2 in 2 years, but hopefully we are learning what traits managers have to have to fit our structure.

I like the fact we give new people a chance and Clement fits into that category. We don't know if it will work (if he comes) but enough people in the football world seem to think he is worth a chance and that is good enough for me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

You do realise OG got us to the play offs last season? Seems from your post that you think we finished bottom half.

Also, we don't know our budget. We should still have the Bridcutt money plus the players who are leaving will have been on high wages. I think we should have a fair amount to invest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Tony is beginning to see the role of manager as a 'non-playing asset'.

I bet the club gets money when Oscar reappears.
They would have done from Sunderland had that been dealt with better, by all concerned.
If Clement is anything other than an abject failure (why then would you employ him) there'd be compensation attached to his next move.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Low budget?

So how much do we have to spend next/this season?

We need about eight players - Please don't think I loved Poyet but we are / have been living in the shadow of who he bought and we need to see the money we got from those players re-spent wisely.

We spunked a fair bit on Augustien so lets hope its better than that

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Pearson, Dyche, Redknapp, MM, Bruce, Wurzul. Stats speak for themselves .

Do they? Dyche and Mackay were both in only their second managerial role when promoted. Redknapp spent a fortune and still only just got QPR up. Pearson took three or four years to succeed, Holloway almost cocked up Palace and only came good in the play offs.

Alternatively, Wigan had an experienced British manager who did badly and then performed superbly under a foreign manager in his first Championship role to get to the play offs.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Surely if Fatboy mentioned it on Soccer AM, it would be all over the media and here by now...

I only saw the last 5 mins when he was in the crowd when Soul II Soul were performing, I have no idea what if anything he said :)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know its not what some people want to hear but He's done well with Ancellotti, big teams and players -

he has at Chelsea, PSG and Madrid and the two of them are allegedly very close.........

Ancellotti only manages big clubs, so here's hoping Clement can do with Ancellotti what Zola's Watford did with Udinese....allow us to loan some of the fringe players who will be superb at this level.

If Clement can use his personal ties with Ancellotti in that way, it could be a match made in heaven for us

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You do realise OG got us to the play offs last season? Seems from your post that you think we finished bottom half.

Also, we don't know our budget. We should still have the Bridcutt money plus the players who are leaving will have been on high wages. I think we should have a fair amount to invest.

Where would we have been if we had a manager who bought players and really ran the squad rather than a coach then?

The problem was that if OG was really that good why didn't he get backed up and why did they let him leave and if the failure in the playoffs was his fault why didn't we see this earlier and get rid earlier?

You are right we don't know the budget - but we stopped Gus from spending it, we never gave it to OG and its unlikely we have been waiting for Clement to come along just to give it all to him isn't it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We had the 7th highest budget last season. With a lot of the high earners gone there will be plenty to go round, wages and transfers/signing on fees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here