Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classical music.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No apologies for posting some more Georgs Pēlecis again...

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Interesting topic that I seem to have missed. I love classical music, my parents had more classical albums on vinyl than any other music, so I was introduced at a very young age. One of my favourite pieces is the entire 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky... especially when orchestras roll out the cannons, bells and fireworks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Interesting topic that I seem to have missed. I love classical music, my parents had more classical albums on vinyl than any other music, so I was introduced at a very young age. One of my favourite pieces is the entire 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky... especially when orchestras roll out the cannons, bells and fireworks.

My first ever introduction to classical music as a kid was a cassette tape of this, listened to on my Dad's Toshiba 'music centre' :lol:
It was the only piece of classical music I can remember him owning, but it was a very looooong time ago.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Cancelled as video not available.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Rather like the time years ago when I watched A Streetcar Named Desire and thought to myself "Ahhh, that's why Marlon Brando is so famous", I listened to The Planets all the way through for the first time last year to see what all the 'fuss' is about. Wow, it's ruddy good. And if it wasn't for his Mars, John Williams wouldn't have had a career!!

Neither would James Horner.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem - Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras

Rehearsing this for our next concert... the whole movement is awesome, but the orchestral build up from 14:25 to the massive choir entry at 15:08 is spine-tingling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

With this being Black history month, and with Avril Coleridge Taylor having lived for many years in Buxted, what better than her Sussex Landscape Opus (all three parts).

Also worth reading up on the Chineke! Orchestra btw, who have released the above as part of the album simply titled - Coleridge Taylor.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of my favourite You Tube music videos

This is hauntingly beautiful - and the basso profundo comes from that skinny slip of a lad at the end

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can't believe I haven't posted this on this thread... (maybe there was another similar in some previous life??)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
As a yoof I was never into the genre of classical music, always the music of the time when growing up.
As now older, over the years I've appreciated listening to Classic FM, as I found it a great benefit when driving home from work, after a busy day and even more so when stuck in traffic jams for long period of times.
I've recently purchased Stephen Fry's Mythos Suite narration of the Greek mythology in music, its brilliant.

Any others into the classics :thumbsup:
Thanks for the review I have just ordered the CD

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem - Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras

Rehearsing this for our next concert... the whole movement is awesome, but the orchestral build up from 14:25 to the massive choir entry at 15:08 is spine-tingling.

About 30 years ago I saw the CBSO orchestra and Chorus do that in the Birmingham Symphony Hall. I’m not a great lover of choral music, but that second movement literally made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Magnificent.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On Radio 3 this morning. No surprise that it's a Vasks piece.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Anyone else aware that we won't be able to receive Classic FM on 'traditional' DAB radios from the end of the year? I wasn't. I have four radios - all of which date from the earlier period of DAB, so none of them will receive DAB+ So, it basically means I will need to buy new radios to replace ones which are perfectly ok.

Don't think the one in the car will either.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone else aware that we won't be able to receive Classic FM on 'traditional' DAB radios from the end of the year? I wasn't. I have four radios - all of which date from the earlier period of DAB, so none of them will receive DAB+ So, it basically means I will need to buy new radios to replace ones which are perfectly ok.

Don't think the one in the car will either.

Do some of yr radios have an Internet option, as if I lose CFM on DAB, I can listen on Internet.
Or the old fashioned fm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here