Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic albums

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some excellent posts on here.....I could be gone for some time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I said leave you for now....there are some musics that defy a lable. This artist defies everything. I can't even get a translation. But the music is absolutely jaw dropping. They are ǝțâ ΛЮƂǪɃЬ

Check this aaht! Play at max vol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfdKDqrISOQ

Edit: it took a while but I've found that Eta Ljubov is a collaboration between an artist with whom I am familiar, △Sco△ and another artist called Karina, and the English translation is This Love.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Joni Mitchell is someone who's work has caught me more and more over recent years. I've gone from appreciating folky things like 'Big Yellow Taxi', 'Both Sides Now' & 'Chelsea Morning' on her 'Hits' compilation, but finding other stuff a bit of a slog, to starting to realise that the hype about 'Blue' is very much warranted, if you persevere with it, to picking up 'Ladies of The Canyon' and 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' to last year buying 'Hejira'. The latter is as affecting as 'Blue'. I know some are put off by her voice and that her time sequences are not always easy to pick up on, but a bit like Randy Newman, once she gets hold of you, she kind of has a bit of your brain all to herself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4KBohkaHDE

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Your thinking is part of what fuels my interest and love of music….it’s never ending and there’s always something else.

You’ve reminded me…someone on NSC was attempting to listen to all the albums listed in the book 1001 Albums to Listen to Before you Die. Possibly [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]?

Enjoying this thread.

Yes, I have started it and mean to go back to it. I've gotten to number 20. I got a little bit jazzed out if I'm honest, so I may restart but with randomised order. But then, I like going chronologically to get a greater appreciation of the evolution of music.

From those 20, I would say the highlights were;

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours - I'm not a fan of crooner/big band at all really, but this has a really nice late-night, woozy quality to it. Planning to get it on vinyl at some point.

Sabu - Palo Congo - Ahead of it's time. Some of the guitar work could almost be Santana or Hendrix, yet this was released in 1957.

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue - Have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. At times I can't handle the seemingly scattergun dynamics, then every so often it clicks and appears to clearly be genius.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
And I'll leave you for now with my lockdown go-to genre, witch house. It crosses over with a lot of other genres (wave and trap) but pure Witch house is a class apart.
Artists:

Axius link
Fraunhofer Diffraction
Clepsydra
Pyramidblast

If you listen to anything I just posted, check this out. Turn up the volume, close your eyes, and this will not disappoint :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCpnMLWLzw

Failed !
Sorry but this is more skilled computer programmer than musician.

what are you taking these days :cool:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As WZ says, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a delight and at the stylistically different end, try Bitches Brew. Between them, they might encourage you to explore the in-between stuff.
'Free Jazz' by Ornette Coleman is worth a go for an early out-there take. In terms of more recent stuff:
You know of Binker and Moses, and Moses Boyd now, presumably Sons of Kemet too. If not, give them a go, and their tuba player's first album is great, Theon Cross.
I'm still a fan of Polar Bear and, if pushed, would go for their earlier stuff. I also really like the Belgian band, Black Flower -- if pushed, would single out Artifacts.
Then there's the Brotzmann links and in terms of albums, it's mainly Mats Gustafsson's output that I know, which is similarly ear-splitting and heavier. Shake by The Thing is worth a go, ditto Defeat by Fire!, and most of Fire! Orchestra's stuff is suitably bonkers.

Will stop there, but [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION] I think knows more than me on this, and I'm pretty certain that [MENTION=222]Southy[/MENTION] will cast a justifiably scornful eye for not including Melanie Del Biasio.
I'm still

[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]: it appears I'm not even capable of reading a thread title. Saw the word jazz, and I was off. This might indicate that I'm better versed in the contemporary stuff.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So so many. I'm an avid vinyl collector but would say these are my favourite - at least for now.

Curtis Mayfield - There's No Place Like America Today
The Seahorses - Do It Yourself
Portishead - Dummy
Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills

Nice mix there....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We had the 60s winner, now for the 70s.

Burning-Spear-Marcus-Garvey.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Failed !
Sorry but this is more skilled computer programmer than musician.

what are you taking these days :cool:

Did you give it a proper listen? There is more to 'music' than sweating over six stringed lump of wood or puffing into a piece of twisted metal through a reed.

If not, at a stroke you have just flushed Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, Hawkwind, Depeche Mode, Georgio Moroder, The Glove, The Fix, Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Ulrich Schnauss, Frontline Assembley, Skinny Puppy, Diary of Dreams, Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, and countless others down the plughole of history. Boo. BOO!

:wink:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Kinks VGPS
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Hendrix Axis Bold as Love
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
CSN&Y Deja Vu
Faces A Nod’s as good as a Wink
Fleetwood Mac Rumours
Ian Dury New Boots & Panties
Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps
Stones Singles Collection The London Years
Roy Orbison Mystery Girl
Travelling Wilburys Vols 1&2
ZZ Top Eliminator
Yes Going for the One

I’ve excluded Beatles, Oasis and Blur stuff as it’s hardly in the unusual category for most generations.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did you give it a proper listen? There is more to 'music' than sweating over six stringed lump of wood or puffing into a piece of twisted metal through a reed.

If not, at a stroke you have just flushed Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, Hawkwind, Depeche Mode, Georgio Moroder, The Glove, The Fix, Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Ulrich Schnauss, Frontline Assembley, Skinny Puppy, Diary of Dreams, Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, and countless others down the plughole of history. Boo. BOO!

Creative genius comes in many forms.

New music didn't end with the harpsicord or later electric guitar. Synths are just another means of creating sumptuous sounds and amazing music.

Some people, I used to work with these old-timers, seem to think that everything stopped with Led Zep, Sabbath and Deep Purple. Almost everyone afterwards 'a cheat'.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Capture.PNG

Some of them were really good but also many played 6 or 4 stringed lumps of wood and keyboards without letters or numbers .:rock:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Another vote for Ogden's Nutgone Flake.
For Ska Rocksteady and Reggae.
Sufferer - The Kingstonians.
Rain from the Skies - Slim Smith
The Original Reggae Hit Sounds of the Ethiopians
Never Grow Old - The Maytals
Based on a true story - Fat Freddy's Drop.
And a Soul Classic - The Temptations wish it would rain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here