Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I suspect we have a bonus payment payable should they get promoted, otherwise seems odd to loan him out in the final year of his contract.

AS I understand it, he's been on Paul Cook's radar for some time, if they do go up, which is what they've thrown a lot of money at in the summer, expect a permanent move.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There's the Wigan connection with Paul Cook, so it makes sense. I think it could work out really well for him, if Ipswich get promoted he should be first choice on a permanent deal in the Championship. He deserves the chance to put down some longer term roots.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He has been superb behind the scenes awaiting his chance, Sanchez has taken the opportunity and unfortunately that means Walton's future lies elsewhere. I wish him all the best

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I hope he goes on to have a solid career at a decent level..
It might have been at the Albion were it not for that pre season injury (terrible timing).
It led to the promotion of the best goalkeeper we’ve ever had.
Funny how things work out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good. He's worked hard and earned a steady job. I'd have thought he could have gone a division higher, so Ipswich should be pleased with their new acquisition. I wish him all the best for the rest of his career - fine margins, isn't it. I still think he might have been ahead of Big Bob in the pecking order - in the club's view anyway - when he injured himself collecting that cross against Chelsea.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Might have been a few loan fees to factor in?

Don't think they'd have been much. When we bought him we were more looking at potential recruits for us, not the buy 'em cheap(ish) and make a modest profit to fund the development plan model we later took up.
Most of his loans would, I think, have been teams doing us a favour to develop him rather than the other way round at least up to the second season at Wigan and the Blackburn loans. Surprised Blackburn didn't make enquiries, given their GK shortage at the moment; he did OK there in terms of goals conceded, even though their fans really took against him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He will one day play in the Premier League. He's got all the ability, he just needs to set down some roots somewhere and play regular football for a season or three consecutively. I think he'll do well at Ipswich.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Someone on the Ipswich forum reckons it's £150K which sounds a bit cheap

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The local paper up there said “small fee” to help with the move costs, so maybe even less than that.
Ipswich have lucked out on this one, because of his diminishing contract.
He’s already shown himself to be a decent championship keeper.
I bet he will go for seven figures in the future.
It would have been nice if we’d got a sell-on percentage rather than a fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here