Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The club has, as far as I know, communicated nothing on this subject.

First Naylor said the club will not extend the contract, now three weeks later he says the opposite. Club? Nothing.

So people are assuming a lot of things based on what is probably Naylors guesswork. Some people are assuming, based on nothing, that the club extended his contract against his will. We dont know that. We dont have any details, we dont know the intentions. Plenty of options.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

First Naylor said the club will not extend the contract, now three weeks later he says the opposite. Club? Nothing.

So people are assuming a lot of things based on what is probably Naylors guesswork. Some people are assuming, based on nothing, that the club extended his contract against his will. We dont know that. We dont have any details, we dont know the intentions. Plenty of options.

If he has had his contract extended its because there was an option to do that? He's not been forced against his will, he signed the contract knowing there was a 1 yr option in it. The club is a business and if we can get a small fee or a sell on clause why shouldn't we?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Naylor is often wrong.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
August 30
9.20am
Brighton’s Christian Walton is joining League One side Ipswich Town on loan until January, reports Andy Naylor.
Brighton wanted to sell their fourth-choice goalkeeper but no suitable offers have been forthcoming for the 25-year-old in the closing stages of the transfer window.
It’s the eighth loan spell in six years for Walton, who joined Brighton from Plymouth in February 2013.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Living in Suffolk I follow Town. It's very likely Walton will go straight in as the starter. Their current no.1, Hladký, is a new signing and isn't covering himself in glory at the moment - nor is the entire back four. They've failed to win all season, despite 17 new signings, and have drawn all their home league matches 2-2. Excellent business for Town, but from an Albion perspective I'm not sure what we're doing with Christian. As he's already been on loan to Championship clubs, going to Town seems like a regression and isn't following the linear path that Ben White trod. How many years has Christian left on his contract?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Living in Suffolk I follow Town. It's very likely Walton will go straight in as the starter. Their current no.1, Hladký, is a new signing and isn't covering himself in glory at the moment - nor is the entire back four. They've failed to win all season, despite 17 new signings, and have drawn all their home league matches 2-2. Excellent business for Town, but from an Albion perspective I'm not sure what we're doing with Christian. As he's already been on loan to Championship clubs, going to Town seems like a regression and isn't following the linear path that Ben White trod. How many years has Christian left on his contract?

He's in the last year of his contract (we exercised the one-year option at the end of last season).

He'll be off at the end of the season.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
He's in the last year of his contract (we exercised the one-year option at the end of last season).

He'll be off at the end of the season.

I can understand the club wanting to make some return on their investment But this doesn't really follow the path of progression as previously mentioned by someone earlier Bit unfair on CW imho

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Despite, or because? Seems like a lot of new faces to gel together.

I can understand the club wanting to make some return on their investment But this doesn't really follow the path of progression as previously mentioned by someone earlier Bit unfair on CW imho

Admittedly, I don't pay a lot of attention to the progression of loans, but it doesn't seem to me like we frequently follow that league 2, league 1, championship, start with us in the premier league path with players. It's not always just about us following that pattern - it's about what the players need, how they've improved on previous spells, what clubs want them and whether the right deal can be struck.

CW has had a bit of a mixed bag on his loans from what I remember. His last loan to Blackburn was fine. He's at a point in his development where he won't benefit from continuing in the under 23s (and would be blocking the development of others). But he hasn't shown enough to displace Sanchez as a number 1 (unlike other areas of the pitch, it's not legal to switch to two keepers in the way you can swap to three at the back to accommodate White and Dunk and Webster), nor has he shown the quality that would make him a highly sought after championship keeper. We haven't received a decent enough offer to sell, so a loan it is, where he can (and is willing to) go.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Despite, or because? Seems like a lot of new faces to gel together.

Admittedly, I don't pay a lot of attention to the progression of loans, but it doesn't seem to me like we frequently follow that league 2, league 1, championship, start with us in the premier league path with players. It's not always just about us following that pattern - it's about what the players need, how they've improved on previous spells, what clubs want them and whether the right deal can be struck.

CW has had a bit of a mixed bag on his loans from what I remember. His last loan to Blackburn was fine. He's at a point in his development where he won't benefit from continuing in the under 23s (and would be blocking the development of others). But he hasn't shown enough to displace Sanchez as a number 1 (unlike other areas of the pitch, it's not legal to switch to two keepers in the way you can swap to three at the back to accommodate White and Dunk and Webster), nor has he shown the quality that would make him a highly sought after championship keeper. We haven't received a decent enough offer to sell, so a loan it is, where he can (and is willing to) go.

I could be totally making the wrong assumptions about the loan details
But to me it looks a retrograde step for CW after experience at a level above and not fairing too badly
We don’t know the full contract details Pretty certain we never will
But in comparison to Ostigards extension which seems similar in duration , and a move to a better placed team That seems a step forward It looks like we were hoping to sell CW but it didn’t happen so shipped him out wherever we could Not saying it’s factually correct
Just an assumption on my part :mad::D

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I could be totally making the wrong assumptions about the loan details
But to me it looks a retrograde step for CW after experience at a level above and not fairing too badly
We don’t know the full contract details Pretty certain we never will
But in comparison to Ostigards extension which seems similar in duration , and a move to a better placed team That seems a step forward It looks like we were hoping to sell CW but it didn’t happen so shipped him out wherever we could Not saying it’s factually correct
Just an assumption on my part :mad::D
Walton is another of those instances when hindsight would have been invaluable. We bought him as a very promising young GK, tipped for the top. After a few loans, he eventually had two successful seasons at Wigan, winning promotion in te first and helping to keep Wigan in the Championship in the second. What happened then, we don't know - did Wigan want to keep him? (it would have been understandable) Did we not want to sell because he was still on course to eventually play for us - or did Wigan just not offer enough money?

Anyway, whatever, we sent him to a slightly higher Championship team, Blackburn Rovers, where he played all 46 games, so he must have been doing something right! End of season though - same as a year before - did Blackburn want him? Wouldn't they pay enough? ....... or was he on the fringes of the Albion team?

Personally, I think he probably was - and was also very unlucky. He came on for Maty at half time in a pre-season friendly, made one ghastly flap, then pulled himself together and came out for a very good take - and did his ankle on landing, That could be the defining moment of his career. Sanchez came on, looked assured, and when Maty lost form Sanchez took his place and the rest is history. Walton is 25 now - time to let him get a permanent job somewhere.

We took another year on his contract, presumably to get a fee for him, but surprisingly there seem to be no takers. I don't think we'd be asking slly money - but maybe Championship clubs just haven't got any. Hopefully we'll get a small loan fee from Ipswich - perhaps they'll buy him for a nominal fee with a big sell-on clause in January. Or maybe - and hopefully for Christian, they'll offer him a contract when he leaves us in the summer.

Hindsight, did I mention? Yes - in hindsight it would probably have been better all round if Wigan or Blackburn had offered us a million or two to sign him permanently, we'd taken it and wished him well. As it is, looks like we'll have to take whatever Ipswich are willing to cough up for a season long loan - still wish Christian Walton all the best though - he's worked very hard to get where he is; had a rougher ride and fewer slices of luck than some.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here