Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood

Dec 29, 2011
I don't believe that. Colunga has never scored goals prolifically and has been out on loan more times than a Hertz Ford Fiesta. CMS and Baldock never proven at Championship level for anyone. Ulloa scored goals, Barnes scored goals when he went up top. We've just had a habit of signing rubbish strikers (Ulloa aside who scored every other game). Had we kept Murray, Wood, Vokes, Barnes: we'd still have players who could score goals in this team!

We'll agree to disagree then, but I don't think Vokes looked that good when he came here. Bent came and score 1 (or 2?) goals, then went to Derby and banged them in. Ulloa only scored goals because he's quality, imagine if he played for a team like Watford or Derby, he'd have actually got a goal a game. Our team doesn't score goals and hasn't for years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We'll agree to disagree then, but I don't think Vokes looked that good when he came here. Bent came and score 1 (or 2?) goals, then went to Derby and banged them in. Ulloa only scored goals because he's quality, imagine if he played for a team like Watford or Derby, he'd have actually got a goal a game. Our team doesn't score goals and hasn't for years.

We've been crap no doubt about that, but Bent made 5 appearances in a side scrapping relegation and scored twice. He went to Derby into a side fighting at the top of the league and did great. He was in Fulham's team and scored 3 in 24 games.

But we make excuses for lots of our strikers, that we don't play to their strengths, that he needs this, he needs that, and basically other than Ulloa, since Murray left we've bought in a load of crap - simple as that.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Hopefully, the club's recruitment team look a bit further than the dusty black book of players that played for us before. Wood is decent and would be a great replacement for O'Grady. We'd still need another, higher calibre no. 1 striker at least.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hopefully, the club's recruitment team look a bit further than the dusty black book of players that played for us before. Wood is decent and would be a great replacement for O'Grady. We'd still need another, higher calibre no. 1 striker at least.

Agree .. there should be a rule that you can't sign anyone that has played for you before.

Next thing we'll have a thread on Andrew Whing ... maybe even Ryan Harley!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
When he was EIGHTEEN years old.

9 in 23 for Birmingham in the Championship the following season (so there's another example of where he did well aside from Millwall).

He scored loads at Leicester as well at the start of his spell before he moved down the pecking order due to their numerous strikers.

Funny how Wood scores 9 in a season and is hailed the messiah, but the season CMS scored double figures he's still shit...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did we? Maybe that's news to West Brom.
He was ok until he went to China to play in an international, but when he came back, he couldn't be bothered.

Bothered or fatigued or something else? Footballers are not robots. Maybe he was going through tough time. Maybe he couldn't be arsed, but we don't know. He's shown signs of being a decent player.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Yes please the guy has a touch of class. He would rise to the role of main striker . Intelligent , sharp and our new 20 goal a season man . Good call . And Zamora please - he said hed like to end his career in Brighton. Those two would give us 30 goals and maybe Baldock would work well with them ? Just a fantasyE

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Chris Wood has gone on record by saying he never enjoyed his time down here and so I think this is a dead parrot scenario.

That's a ridiculous thing to say... When he was here we were playing at withdean, training at Sussex uni and managed by Gus. Now were at the Amex, have our new training facility and are managed by CH. It's a totally different situation, practically a different club

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
CH knows what Chris Wood strengths are. He won't sign him because he knows that he will only score goals if handed to him on a plate. The only club he was really sucessful at was a loan spell at Millwall and that was because the played with 2 fairly decent wingers at that point in time.

Every other club he has been at, he has not really been all that prolific

Did CH know what Leon Best's strengths were? That didn't work out so I'm reserving judgement on his evaluation of strikers at present.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Those of you who saw how he celebrated his two goals for Millwall against us will have seen a player who clearly really enjoyed putting one over on us. I don't think he would be in the remotest bit interested in coming back here unless we were a last resort.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Funny how Wood scores 9 in a season and is hailed the messiah, but the season CMS scored double figures he's still shit...

I total agree. 9 goals in 23 games for Birmingham when they reached the playoff that year is a pretty dire return.. Whoever we sign, i want a lot more than that.

I would be willing to put money on him not even being in CHs short list of strikers that he is looking to sign. They both get on very well with each other but CH will be looking for one good target man and a couple mobile forwards. Chris Wood, although tall doesnt hold the ball up well and CH knows that, having worked with him

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6912255 said:
That's a ridiculous thing to say... When he was here we were playing at withdean, training at Sussex uni and managed by Gus. Now were at the Amex, have our new training facility and are managed by CH. It's a totally different situation, practically a different club

It's not ridiculous at all considering we wanted to loan him again before we signed Vokes, and he said no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here