[Football] Chris to Forest

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
See I think this is a bit of a tough perception of Hughton. I think the crop of young players we're bringing through now weren’t ready when Hughton was in charge. I'm sure he could have used them if he really wanted to, but I think the timing of their development was a factor, and a little bit of an unfair criticism of Hughton's reign.

But who else did we have at that time? We all know the academy has taken time to bring players through, and the ones we had that point in time, maybe just didn’t reach the level we needed them to. Solly March was 20 when Hughton arrived and Hughton played him, so I think its tough to say he wasn't a fan of playing youngesters at all. I think it's more accurate to say he didn't play many youngsters because we didnt have the wealth of options and talent that we do now.

+1

I wish Hughton all the best and I expect him to have a successful time at Forest. From a selfish standpoint - I don't want him to be too successful as I want to see him as Ireland manager in the not too distant future.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
+1

I wish Hughton all the best and I expect him to have a successful time at Forest. From a selfish standpoint - I don't want him to be too successful as I want to see him as Ireland manager in the not too distant future.

Although I have never discussed in great detail - I have always secretly thought that would or will be his Managerial ''Swan Song'' - Given that International Management is essentially a Part Time Job in that you are not on the Training Pitch every day. He could eventually do a job like that and also do work behind the scenes in Advocacy to get more BME Appointments at Board Level within Football which in Turn would feed down into having more BME Managers within the game at the higher levels.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Forest squad will be learning 4-4-2 system every day for next six months

Has inherited far too many players so be interesting to see how squad size gets reduced between now and end of January

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
See I think this is a bit of a tough perception of Hughton. I think the crop of young players we're bringing through now weren’t ready when Hughton was in charge. I'm sure he could have used them if he really wanted to, but I think the timing of their development was a factor, and a little bit of an unfair criticism of Hughton's reign.

But who else did we have at that time? We all know the academy has taken time to bring players through, and the ones we had that point in time, maybe just didn’t reach the level we needed them to. Solly March was 20 when Hughton arrived and Hughton played him, so I think its tough to say he wasn't a fan of playing youngesters at all. I think it's more accurate to say he didn't play many youngsters because we didnt have the wealth of options and talent that we do now.
But then you look at Mathias Normann who was given no opportunity here and sold in January 2019 for £1.5 million.

Within 18 months he is now a £10-£15+ million player and we just hope we have a decent sell on percent.

One that got away. If only we could have involved him more.

I wish CH all the best at Forest but I don't think our young players will be going there.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
But then you look at Mathias Normann who was given no opportunity here and sold in January 2019 for £1.5 million.

Within 18 months he is now a £10-£15+ million player and we just hope we have a decent sell on percent.

One that got away. If only we could have involved him more.

I wish CH all the best at Forest but I don't think our young players will be going there.

The key point of my argument is right there in your statement, "18 months later".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We’d be happy to loan our young players to Chris. But he’ll be leaving them out 6-7 months before they can adjust to his methods and only then make the bench [emoji2960]

I'm not so sure we would, unless it was a sell to buy deal for one that we don't think will quite make it to the PL with us.

Essentially I think the development squad look to loan players to clubs that are trying to play football our way - and much as I appreciate what CH did for us, his style isn't very similar to Potterball.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Feel bad for him... their ownership/upper-management are a joke.

First things first, at least Chris is back in management, l was beginning fear for him to be honest. To many in football it's the new younger brand of first team coaches that is the way forward. The old style manager is becoming a bit of a dinosaur.

Welcome back Chris.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Decent enough job as decent club and were 7th last year.

Looking forward to seeing his interviews praising the opposition

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm not so sure we would, unless it was a sell to buy deal for one that we don't think will quite make it to the PL with us.

Essentially I think the development squad look to loan players to clubs that are trying to play football our way - and much as I appreciate what CH did for us, his style isn't very similar to Potterball.

Agreed, things change fast in football, Chris has moved on, but so have we. The two managers footballing philosophies are light years apart.

There is no definitive right or wrong, just conflicting ways of playing the game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
+1

A backward step if there ever was one. Ok if he was thinking of going into retirement perhaps, as international management is a part time job anyway, but it would make a return to full time club management even more difficult.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
A backward step if there ever was one. Ok if he was thinking of going into retirement perhaps, as international management is a part time job anyway, but it would make a return to full time club management even more difficult.

Hughton is 61 years old - there are only 5 managers in the PL/FL who are older than him. At a certain point in time all managers have to retire. Hughton clearly feels that he has unfinished business in club management. If he had been out of work in the next 18/24 months then I would have expected him to take the Ireland job when Kenny gets sacked. But I always expected Hughton to get a club job - it was only a matter of time until the right opportunity came along for him. It is possible that he will never manage Ireland - it will depend on how successful he is at Forest and how successful the Irish manager is (whoever that may be) - and there are a lot of very good young players coming through for Ireland at the moment. I would love to see what Hughton could do as Irish international manager - time will tell if he ever takes the job.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
One player I wondered if Chris would move for is Molumby.
He rated him a lot when he was here. When Molumby returned from a long injury Chris immediately put him on the bench of the first team before he had been back to U23s.
Not sure what Potter's plans are for Molumby but if he is to go on loan in the Champonship I'd rather see him at Forest than back at Millwall

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One player I wondered if Chris would move for is Molumby.
He rated him a lot when he was here. When Molumby returned from a long injury Chris immediately put him on the bench of the first team before he had been back to U23s.
Not sure what Potter's plans are for Molumby but if he is to go on loan in the Champonship I'd rather see him at Forest than back at Millwall

Can't see any Brighton youngster going to Forest
. If you look at recent Forest Loans and Transfers. A lot seems to happen between Forest and Olympiacos in Greece as the Owner owns both Clubs.

He was a boyhood fan of Olympiacos and so maybe in the past favoured them.

Perhaps he now thinks that if he invests more heavily in Forest and gets them to the PL where the real wealth in Football is then it could then indirectly benefit Olympiacos as well.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Trollope now is an assistant manager

CH looks rather pleased to be there having just viewed first press conference today

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
nottingham.jpg

Their fans seem happy about it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports