Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I live in Yorkshire and I've seen O'Grady play at least 20 times at Barnsley and Sheff Wednesday.

Not blessed with much pace, he is a good hold up centre forward, who brings others into the game well.

Also quite skilful for a guy of his size, but pretty poor in the air.

A bit streaky in front of goal. Will go 8 without scoring and then get 5 in 4.

Think he'll do ok, but he's no Ulloa.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Or maybe not - quote from the local Barnsley Paper :

Personal terms could decide whether Chris O’Grady completes his proposed move from Barnsley to Sheffield United, The Star understands.

Nigel Clough, the United manager, last night confirmed he remains interested in signing the former Sheffield Wednesday and Leicester City centre-forward ahead of the new League One campaign.

With Oakwell’s hierarchy now believed to be ready to consider offers for O’Grady, who has scored 21 goals in 59 appearances since leaving Hillsborough 18 months ago, this newspaper has learnt that talks between the two clubs took place soon after Barnsley’s relegation from the Championship in May.

Although Clough’s counterpart Danny Wilson yesterday revealed an “official bid” has yet to be received, those negotiations ended with United and Barnsley effectively agreeing how much it would cost to bring the player to Bramall Lane.

“Chris is a possibility,” Clough said. “But nothing has moved on to make it the right deal.”

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We need four strikers with Ulloa off we would be left with one. One of the reasons Ulloa IMO wasn't that great last season was the fact he didn't have any competition for his place.

I wonder looking over this thread if some of you lot actually know anything about football. Wasn't it a league 1 striker that moved to Palace and scored 28 goals?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Maybe there's a chance that in a side with better players he might improve further as a player, score more goals and fire us to promotion.

As I said in a previous post, Murray, Lambert, and Holt have all scored goals to get sides promoted from this division when they had could have been classed as journey men ex-Rochdale strikers.

I find it incredible how quick fans are to write players off before they have even signed. I prefer to take the opinion of the Barnsley fan on this thread who has actually seen him play rather than those who are basing their opinion on Wikipedia and the fact he plays for an unfashionable team.

this guy has played for eleven teams , if he was any good he would not of ended up at barnsley

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It makes life more interesting as a fan. I'm fascinated to see what's going to happen between now and August 31st because I don't think the club are going to close the cash register now for the rest of the year.
Btw, don't show your ignorance by saying you'd never heard of him, when a lot of us have and also seen him play.

oh good for you

WhiteyBFC

Aug 23, 2012
Sean Taylor ‏@seantaylorpress 30m
RE Chris O'Grady
He has already agreed terms with Brighton. Will sign 3-year deal Fri, subject to medical. Fee IRO £500K #barnsleyfc #bhafc

As I said, I'll be back to give you the lowdown on Big Chris and hopefully cobble a video together when it's confirmed. Might be a couple of days depending on work commitments, but I feel the need to at least give you a bit of hope regarding his arrival.

He's lived up here for years, in Barnsley. Even when he was at Rochdale, Wednesday, Rotherham. His wife didn't want to relocate, hence the rejection of Charlton. I'm assuming Albion are offering him something too good to turn down.

If you logon to the Rochdale forum and ask them who the best striker is that they've ever had, they'll say COG. And they've had Murray, Le Fondre, Holt and Lambert recently.

He's a beast. I'll miss him. But it's best that he leaves and I wish him all the best should he do so. Especially so against Wednesday.

Bed now. Thanks for reading.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
this guy has played for eleven teams , if he was any good he would not of ended up at barnsley

What has that got to do with anything?

To use my examples again, Murray played for 8 teams before Palace, Lambert played for 6 before Southampton and Holt played for 11 before Norwich and they all joined those sides at a similar age to O'Grady now.

Give him a chance.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
RE Chris O'Grady
He has already agreed terms with Brighton. Will sign 3-year deal Fri, subject to medical. Fee IRO £500K #barnsleyfc #bhafc

As I said, I'll be back to give you the lowdown on Big Chris and hopefully cobble a video together when it's confirmed. Might be a couple of days depending on work commitments, but I feel the need to at least give you a bit of hope regarding his arrival.

He's lived up here for years, in Barnsley. Even when he was at Rochdale, Wednesday, Rotherham. His wife didn't want to relocate, hence the rejection of Charlton. I'm assuming Albion are offering him something too good to turn down.

If you logon to the Rochdale forum and ask them who the best striker is that they've ever had, they'll say COG. And they've had Murray, Le Fondre, Holt and Lambert recently.

He's a beast. I'll miss him. But it's best that he leaves and I wish him all the best should he do so. Especially so against Wednesday.

Sorry for pinching him off you. Football sucks sometimes.

Good luck for the new season.

:thumbsup:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
RE Chris O'Grady

Thanks for your views.

Ignore the pathetic spoilt kids on this forum hoping for us to sign some Spanish wonder kid.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe there's a chance that in a side with better players he might improve further as a player, score more goals and fire us to promotion.

As I said in a previous post, Murray, Lambert, and Holt have all scored goals to get sides promoted from this division when they had could have been classed as journey men ex-Rochdale strikers.

I find it incredible how quick fans are to write players off before they have even signed. I prefer to take the opinion of the Barnsley fan on this thread who has actually seen him play rather than those who are basing their opinion on Wikipedia and the fact he plays for an unfashionable team.

I tend to agree. O'Grady is an experienced striker, presumably brought in at a sensible price and willing to accept our wage structure. He might just prove his detractors wrong. The balance of the Ulloa money will now allow us to do other meaningful transfer business, maybe including another striker.

Ok he may not be a marquee name but then that sort of signing would probably blow most of our remaining budget, when we also need to reinforce other areas of the squad. It will be interesting to see if the Ulloa money now unlocks other deals that could not be resolved until now.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Hahahaha that's true. Already heard moaning that Hyypia has not played or managed in this league. FFS. What a dreary bunch twa*s some people are.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
RE Chris O'Grady

This board is at its best when it attracts people like this. Thanks and good luck for the season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
RE Chris O'Grady

Thanks so much for this. Very encouraging from our point of view.

Good luck for the season and thanks for the info.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports