Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for him that he joins as Ulloa leaves, so it looks like he is his replacement. I think he's a good squad addition but there's nothing on his CV to suggest he'll have the quality that any promotion- seeking team require of their main striker.

In this division you need a main goalscorer. I don't think COG, CMS or even Lingard is that man.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Sean Taylor ‏@seantaylorpress 30m
RE Chris O'Grady
He has already agreed terms with Brighton. Will sign 3-year deal Fri, subject to medical. Fee IRO £500K #barnsleyfc #bhafc

As I said, I'll be back to give you the lowdown on Big Chris and hopefully cobble a video together when it's confirmed. Might be a couple of days depending on work commitments, but I feel the need to at least give you a bit of hope regarding his arrival.

He's lived up here for years, in Barnsley. Even when he was at Rochdale, Wednesday, Rotherham. His wife didn't want to relocate, hence the rejection of Charlton. I'm assuming Albion are offering him something too good to turn down.

If you logon to the Rochdale forum and ask them who the best striker is that they've ever had, they'll say COG. And they've had Murray, Le Fondre, Holt and Lambert recently.

He's a beast. I'll miss him. But it's best that he leaves and I wish him all the best should he do so. Especially so against Wednesday.

Bed now. Thanks for reading.

Brilliant news! Thanks. :)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The more I think about it the more this seems a good deal for us. Sold Ulloa for top money and got in a competent forward that will complement the skill set of CMS. The money from Ulloa can help round out the rest of the
squad.

I'll be sad to see Ulloa go he put in some fantastic performances but no man is bigger than the team and we move on with a healthy wedge.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I feel sorry for him that he joins as Ulloa leaves, so it looks like he is his replacement. I think he's a good squad addition but there's nothing on his CV to suggest he'll have the quality that any promotion- seeking team require of their main striker.

In this division you need a main goalscorer. I don't think COG, CMS or even Lingard is that man.

I disagree. I honestly do not think the club are silly enough to buy COG for half a mil and use him as a replacement for Ulloa.

We were one striker short with Ulloa in the squad as it was

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He's ****ing dog shit!

I'm off to wet the bed over this! :glare:

(@Bozza we really need a bed wetting smilie on here)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Imagine this hypothetical scenario:

Sami Hyypia wants Albion's attack to be technical and speedy. Perhaps a big target man doesn't fit neatly into his vision.

Is it better to have a £8m Plan B or a £500k Plan B with the latter, of course, permitting strengthening elsewhere?

As I say - all hypothetical.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Will Buckley and Chris O'Grady may have played together for a season or so at Rochdale around 2009/10, before Will moved to Watford - I don't know if they had any meaningful pitch time together but might be useful.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Sean Taylor ‏@seantaylorpress 30m
RE Chris O'Grady
He has already agreed terms with Brighton. Will sign 3-year deal Fri, subject to medical. Fee IRO £500K #barnsleyfc #bhafc

As I said, I'll be back to give you the lowdown on Big Chris and hopefully cobble a video together when it's confirmed. Might be a couple of days depending on work commitments, but I feel the need to at least give you a bit of hope regarding his arrival.

He's lived up here for years, in Barnsley. Even when he was at Rochdale, Wednesday, Rotherham. His wife didn't want to relocate, hence the rejection of Charlton. I'm assuming Albion are offering him something too good to turn down.

If you logon to the Rochdale forum and ask them who the best striker is that they've ever had, they'll say COG. And they've had Murray, Le Fondre, Holt and Lambert recently.

He's a beast. I'll miss him. But it's best that he leaves and I wish him all the best should he do so. Especially so against Wednesday.

Bed now. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for post. I genuinely hope you go up. You were very loud when we played you away tbf. Great fans. Great train thing in the main stand. :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sami Hyypia wants Albion's attack to be technical and speedy. Perhaps a big target man doesn't fit neatly into his vision.

Is it better to have a £8m Plan B or a £500k Plan B with the latter, of course, permitting strengthening elsewhere?

Exactly what I said in the other thread. COG will replace Leo as the BIG man, not as the MAIN man.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Will Buckley and Chris O'Grady may have played together for a season or so at Rochdale around 2009/10, before Will moved to Watford - I don't know if they had any meaningful pitch time together but might be useful.

Buckley provided at least one of the assists in a compilation posted earlier, of course that doesn't say much about any on the field understanding of course.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

That's what I've been thinking. If Hyypia wants pace in attack, Ulloa wasn't the fastest. New manager, new ideas, lots of funds.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

In this hypothetical world, one could be forgiven for thinking that Sami might be tempted by young Lingard, a player who knows our other players and who apparently hasn't been taken on Manure's trip.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So, if we consider that Sami has already said that he wants us to transition to attack more quickly (in his first [?] interview) - Plan A, and then factor in some of the thoughts and observations by various posters on here over the last couple of days, how about: some combination CMS, Lingard, Kaz, Will and Fenelon providing the new Plan A with O'Grady being a key component of Plan B (old Plan A)?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Pathetic is when we were at Withdean and not signing anyone because the chairman had switched his phone off.

The transfer window isn't closing today and the league doesn't start for another 3 weeks yet. Wait until then to moan.

Exactly!

There are 44 days to go before the transfer window closes. Thank goodness we didn't have to rely on the bedwetters for support when the club really was a basket case-they wouldn't have been able to handle it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here