Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton says club will not panic in transfer window

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
OK I know nothing but I think the club's position is becoming clear. We're playing the long game regarding promotion, like Boro have been for since they appointed Karanka. This season is about deepening the squad because at the moment - as we've seen - it's neither good enough to sustain a promotion challenge nor good enough to keep us in the PL were we to get promoted this season. Over the summer the big signings for promotion push in 2016/17. This makes sense not least because at least two of the relegated sides - whoever they are - will be basket cases, Boro will be out of our way along with Hull, so just us and Wednesday to worry about - if Derby don't go up this season they will meltdown. So, expect nothing thrilling this window.

Are you saying the club has discounted any ideas of promotion this season and is banking on next season when the Championship will be less competitive. ?
Blimey !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK I know nothing but I think the club's position is becoming clear. We're playing the long game regarding promotion, like Boro have been for since they appointed Karanka. This season is about deepening the squad because at the moment - as we've seen - it's neither good enough to sustain a promotion challenge nor good enough to keep us in the PL were we to get promoted this season. Over the summer the big signings for promotion push in 2016/17. This makes sense not least because at least two of the relegated sides - whoever they are - will be basket cases, Boro will be out of our way along with Hull, so just us and Wednesday to worry about - if Derby don't go up this season they will meltdown. So, expect nothing thrilling this window.

Good post.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is a really dull transfer window now, not sure we'll be bringing anyone else in.

Don't let the negativity rub off on you, what happened to, hold the nerve?

Just because the South Amercan Soap Opera has come to a predictable end, don't think the chance of signings has gone.

Paul Winstanley has been a busy boy, and will have other targets in his crosshairs.

Remember the Tony Bloom 'strengthen from a position of strength' piece in the Argus in December. He said that in addition to finding cover for Solly we were also looking to make other signings (plural) of the right quality.

Well, Anthony Knockaert is an excellent start and ideal cover. And, if the South American targets are a gauge of the right quality, then let's see who else they have up their sleeves. Just because it has gone quiet, doesn't mean we have given up, it's just the way the club likes to do business.

And after all, we still have a very big pile of Argentine Peso's burning a hole in Chris's pocket.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Good post.

Hmmm not quite sure I can agree with that - two of the three relegated clubs will most likely be BIG clubs. Villa for example, will I'm sure go large on an immediate return. God help us if Newcastle come down, and Sunderland too to some extent. I predict next season to be far tougher than this. Perchance this is our best bet for the next two-three seasons.

I'm not advocating a big spend, but reigning it in and hoping the three relegated teams fall apart is a bit rich. Hull, and Burnley have hardly proven to be 'basket cases' have they?!?

Kosh

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bloom has learnt well from the master of bullshit Dick Tight, spend loads of time trying to sing unrealistic targets who were never going to come here so anyone decent and available goes elsewhere

God yes.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Hmmm not quite sure I can agree with that - two of the three relegated clubs will most likely be BIG clubs. Villa for example, will I'm sure go large on an immediate return. God help us if Newcastle come down, and Sunderland too to some extent. I predict next season to be far tougher than this. Perchance this is our best bet for the next two-three seasons.

I'm not advocating a big spend, but reigning it in and hoping the three relegated teams fall apart is a bit rich. Hull, and Burnley have hardly proven to be 'basket cases' have they?!?

Kosh

This, anyone who thinks it will be an easier league next year is a fool.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't let the negativity rub off on you, what happened to, hold the nerve?

Just because the South Amercan Soap Opera has come to a predictable end, don't think the chance of signings has gone.

Paul Winstanley has been a busy boy, and will have other targets in his crosshairs.

Remember the Tony Bloom 'strengthen from a position of strength' piece in the Argus in December. He said that in addition to finding cover for Solly we were also looking to make other signings (plural) of the right quality.

Well, Anthony Knockaert is an excellent start and ideal cover. And, if the South American targets are a gauge of the right quality, then let's see who else they have up their sleeves. Just because it has gone quiet, doesn't mean we have given up, it's just the way the club likes to do business.

And after all, we still have a very big pile of Argentine Peso's burning a hole in Chris's pocket.
Well there are only 13 days left and it seems the only talk is now of Rhodes, who I feel is totally unaffordable - and therefore not a serious proposition - or a 93 day loan for Glenn Murray. Just leaves me a little deflated.

The talk of shutting up shop and waiting for next year also drags me down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK I know nothing but I think the club's position is becoming clear. We're playing the long game regarding promotion

We certainly are. Just how long is the long game would be nice to know? Bricks and mortar are all in place, have been for some time now. Not very much urgency on the playing front though eh? Every time we start to build, we sell and replace with a cheaper alternative. Should be sponsored by Aldi really. Could be a long old 'long' at this rate. Other clubs always seem to want promotion just that bit more than we do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Did we ever find out where he was going when he tweeted that pic of the plane going over mountains? It certainly wasn't over Belgium so was he?

Villa for example, will I'm sure go large on an immediate return. God help us if Newcastle come down, and Sunderland too to some extent. I predict next season to be far tougher than this.

Villa have got no cash and a whopping big wage bill. I fancy them to do a Wigan or Portsmouth and fall another division. Not sure that Newcastle would be much of a threat either as Ashley doesn't seem to want to do much with them - he'll sell off their best players and buy cheap French cast-offs. Norwich and Bournemouth would be much more of a threat.

I certainly don't think that life would be much easier next season but it won't be because Villa are in the division

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Of course it's frustrating that it's all so quiet cos we all love a rumour and something to get excited about.

Possibly, just possibly the lack of noise is a good sign and the Club are, as we speak, agreeing terms with their main target safe in the knowledge that it hasn't got out and that we aren't going to be gazumped by one of our competitors.

All these 'needy' posters who crave information and expect TB to be waving his cheque book publicly at any championship striker that gets a silly bid are just going to have to be patient and have a little bit of faith in the post Burke recruitment team who have, so far, delivered.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Kosh

I'm not convinced Villa will be the big threat next year, should they come down. Their current first team is the weakest in the premier league by some distance. They would be struggling in the championship this year. The tone at the club at the moment is one of apathy. Their owner isn't known for splashing the cash, or even having much of an interest in staying on.

Sunderland and Newcastle might be more of a threat should they come down, but I don't see them as being much, if any, stronger than Hull or Middlesbrough this season. Every season there are surprises - teams you thought would be strong struggle, teams you thought would struggle are pushing to go up. QPR and Burnley were expected to be tougher prospects than they have turned out to be.

Every year we look at the table and people think "that looks really tough" and then as the season goes on, it is about as tough as it has been for the last few years.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Are you saying the club has discounted any ideas of promotion this season and is banking on next season when the Championship will be less competitive. ?
Blimey !
No, I'm sayingthe club is not planning for promotion this season.it's planning for promotion next season - getting everything in place this season, getting rid of the remnants of Gus and Burke. Obviously if promotion was achieved it would be taken!Remember next season there is no emergency loan system, so the squad has to be deep and right if we are going to succeed. And this makes it essential that we keep our best players as well as CH

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
We certainly are. Just how long is the long game would be nice to know? Bricks and mortar are all in place, have been for some time now. Not very much urgency on the playing front though eh? Every time we start to build, we sell and replace with a cheaper alternative. Should be sponsored by Aldi really. Could be a long old 'long' at this rate. Other clubs always seem to want promotion just that bit more than we do.

I am not sure I agree with this negative view point or any of the others. The squad was a total mess thanks to Burke and Sami and this season has seen a massive up turn in the quality of the players we have. We can't (an neither would most sensible fans want us to) splash millions a millions like Derby without putting the club in a potentially a very dodgy financial state so caution is the best policy at this stage. Signing Knockhaert is a VERY positive move as well as Ridgewell. We all want a quality striker but they are over priced to the point its actually ridiculous, I don't believe not signing one indicates we are playing a long game or not trying to get promoted. It proves the clubs is being well run and doing brilliantly to recover from a terrible season last time round.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Quote : if Derby don't go up this season they will meltdown. So, expect nothing thrilling this window.

The Derby Chairman already starting to get twitchy re the dressing room showdown last week !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It proves the clubs is being well run.

Nobody's doubting that in the least. But the question is what's going to provide the kick in the pants to move things on up to the next level? As we came very close to seeing last season, you can TRY and cruise along in the Championship forever on 25K STH and a bit of telly money from SKY, but you only have to get it badly wrong once and you're dumped on your arse into League One. At which point a minimum 10K of STH, and probably many more, will melt away as suddenly as they appeared.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Kosh

You're right about Hull and Burnley, and that was pretty much predictable. There's good continuity there, and neither were in meltdown last season. Villa are this season, and it'll take no end to repair what's been going on there. I suspect that Swansea will take a fair bit of remedial work too, and plenty of time. Swansea and perhaps Norwich look most in trouble (Norwich will be fine, and a real threat, as I suspect they'll keep Neil). I'd be really surprised if Newcastle go down: their squad is strong, and have under-performed so far, but seem to have worked out a way of playing now and in Wijnaudam (sp?) have a cracking player. Sunderland and maybe West Brom might struggle too.
I'm not convinced that this season is our best chance. We were in all sorts of problems when CH turned up. Now all we need to do is to tweak the squad by adding real quality.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Nobody's doubting that in the least. But the question is what's going to provide the kick in the pants to move things on up to the next level? As we came very close to seeing last season, you can TRY and cruise along in the Championship forever on 25K STH and a bit of telly money from SKY, but you only have to get it badly wrong once and you're dumped on your arse into League One. At which point a minimum 10K of STH, and probably many more, will melt away as suddenly as they appeared.

I am not sure signing players like Rosenior, Knockhaert, Kayal, Wilson and Bobby is us trying to cruise along. I see your point but I think because of the mess last season it's difficult to get said kick in the pants done this season whilst repairing the damage. I am still hopeful of course that they have a surprise up their sleeve!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No, I'm sayingthe club is not planning for promotion this season.it's planning for promotion next season - getting everything in place this seasonCH
Why either/or ? You can have an eye on a squad good enough to compete both this season and still offer contracts /make signings with a view to still competing next season in champ if things don't work out. What sensible club doesn't do that ? But Why the forced choice ? Everyone including Hughton /Barber (who have said so in last week) surprised to be in its highest position at this point in over 30 years but the idea that they don't think they are in with a shout is a bit far fetched.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here