Chopper Bicycle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Hello folks,

We have just been emptying the inlaws shed and have come across a raleigh chopper.

I was just wondering if anyone in nsc land would know the difference between the MK1 and the MK2 model, any distinguishing features that I should be looking out for.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
mk1 has a straight rear upright from the seat to the rear wheel hub, near where the rear wheel bolts on. mk2 has a upright that bends backwards towards the wheel nut.
Mk1
Raleigh_Chopper-001.jpg

mk2 with curved rear frame by rear wheel

Redraleighchopper.JPG

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It reminds me so much of of the 70s, as does Gary Glitter. Kids riding on a chopper - those were the days...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
God those bikes were BRILLIANT wern't they.

Yes they were. I had an 'ultra violet' one. A mate had the limited edition 5 gear version.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
They were the Ford Capris of the cycling world

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hello folks,

We have just been emptying the inlaws shed and have come across a raleigh chopper.

I was just wondering if anyone in nsc land would know the difference between the MK1 and the MK2 model, any distinguishing features that I should be looking out for.

All I know is the Mk1 is worth more money than a Mk2.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me too. A Grifter was a poor 2nd to a Chopper.

grifter-bike.jpg

I really loved my Grifter, with the 'Sturmy' gears. Those bikes were practically indestructible, no matter how many ramps I went over or kerbs I bashed up.

But the Chopper looked cooler didn't it.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
I`m not disputing that Choppers were cool for 10 and 11 year olds year olds but our gang were racers. Dawes, Claude Butlers, Freddie Grubbs, Holdsworths and Carltons. The real bizz.

Last edited:

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
It's not letting me upload the pic but thanks to markw's info I think it is indeed a mk2 as the back frame bends and it has a T shaped gear stick. O well surely must still be worth something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not letting me upload the pic but thanks to markw's info I think it is indeed a mk2 as the back frame bends and it has a T shaped gear stick. O well surely must still be worth something.
Well check your blooming PM's!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports