Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinese side 'make £127m Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang bid'

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This could also have a major impact on Uefa's financial fair play rules which could collapse under pressure from Europes top clubs. If the best talent starts to be syphoned off by China I can't see the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea etc too happy at being priced out of the market due to FFP rules. I'm not aware any other federation has FFP rules like Uefa certainly in China it seems that big businesses are being encouraged to invest billions in Chinese football by the government, no doubt with some sweet incentives thrown in for those that do. I can't imagine ever being interested in watching Chinese league football regardless of which superstars pimp themselves out for it, in fact more than anything that very fact would convince me to avoid it at all costs.

European football will remain king for many years to come in terms of interest and spectacle no matter how many billions the Chinese throw at their domestic football, it might increase local demand for it and I suspect thats the aim for China to jump start Chinese football development but I don't see many Europeans tuning in to watch Liaoning Whowin (love that name!) v Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao anytime soon.

On a side note I wonder how many away fans make the trip from Guangzhou to their fixture with Yanbian Funde FC - a staggering 2146 miles away - About 2-3 days by car or a 5.5 hour flight!!

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
I wonder if the big name players going to China have written off their International prospects, surely the lack of competitive football would prevent their national team managers from picking them...........

Or perhaps they are all going to become CHINESE, now that would be interesting:wrong:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Any old timers see a parallel with the original NASL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rumour has it he may use the phrase "It won't impact too much on those clubs competing regularly for the Champions League, but for a small club such as Crystal Palace....."
I hope he doesn't mention Palace, even as a small club, unless it's at the end of a list including the likes of Yeovil and Grimsby.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's surprising China aren't better at football, seeing as they did invent the sport :whistle:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not convinced Xi Jinping knows what he's doing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I believe that someone from NSC is appearing on TV tomorrow talking about this very subject.
Have you got a link to last year's spending by each club in the Championship? I don't get how Middlesbrough are supposed to have passed FFP?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I might choose a Chna club as my second team, get in there before it's 'cool' and ruined by the masses. Do any of them play in blue & white stripes? This would make things easier for me.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I might choose a Chna club as my second team, get in there before it's 'cool' and ruined by the masses. Do any of them play in blue & white stripes? This would make things easier for me.

Guangzhou R&F Football Club
Or
广州富力足球俱乐部 if you want to ask for it in the native tongue.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have you got a link to last year's spending by each club in the Championship? I don't get how Middlesbrough are supposed to have passed FFP?

Boro have submitted their accounts to the FL, but not sent them to Companies House as yet (nothing wrong with that, still some time before the deadline).

in 2015 the accounts revealed a loss of £7m as follows

Boro 2015.PNG

What is interesting in respect of Boro is because they are effectively a subsidiary of part of Steve Gibson's overall empire, it appears that they are transferring tax losses to other companies controlled by Gibson using something called group relief (not to be confused with an activity in some of my personal film collection) and using that as a means of complying with FFP. Very clever!

Boro's wages in 2015 were a lot lower than those of the Albion (but they were still able to offer Adam Clayton a better package when he signed for them, instead of us, from Huddersfield), and remember the Albion's wage bill rose by a third in 2016, so I think they have quite a bit of wiggle room.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Boro have submitted their accounts to the FL, but not sent them to Companies House as yet (nothing wrong with that, still some time before the deadline).

in 2015 the accounts revealed a loss of £7m as follows

View attachment 80833

What is interesting in respect of Boro is because they are effectively a subsidiary of part of Steve Gibson's overall empire, it appears that they are transferring tax losses to other companies controlled by Gibson using something called group relief (not to be confused with an activity in some of my personal film collection) and using that as a means of complying with FFP. Very clever!

Boro's wages in 2015 were a lot lower than those of the Albion (but they were still able to offer Adam Clayton a better package when he signed for them, instead of us, from Huddersfield), and remember the Albion's wage bill rose by a third in 2016, so I think they have quite a bit of wiggle room.

My questions here would be how can a team that hasn't moved into a new ground - i.e. Trebled commercial income/ticket sales/concessions etc - manage to increase turnover so dramatically from one year to the next? (2014 £12.8m to 2015 £21m)

They also didn't go from being sponsored by Mr Middlesborough DIY chain to Apple overnight.

And then equally as impressive they reduced their losses by sum £8m (is this the Group relief option?)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My questions here would be how can a team that hasn't moved into a new ground - i.e. Trebled commercial income/ticket sales/concessions etc - manage to increase turnover so dramatically from one year to the next? (2014 £12.8m to 2015 £21m)

They also didn't go from being sponsored by Mr Middlesborough DIY chain to Apple overnight.

And then equally as impressive they reduced their losses by sum £8m (is this the Group relief option?)

In 2015 Boro made the playoff finals but lost at Wembley. It is now customary for the winning club to decline to take their share of the Wembley gate receipts and instead give them to the loser, on the grounds that the winner is going to benefit from the PL TV deal. Attendances were up about 20% due to good league form.

In addition they had good cup runs in 2015 which helped their gate receipts.

Boro income.PNG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lol:
Thanks for the reply.
What is interesting in respect of Boro is because they are effectively a subsidiary of part of Steve Gibson's overall empire, it appears that they are transferring tax losses to other companies controlled by Gibson using something called group relief and using that as a means of complying with FFP. Very clever!
Clever? You're saying that the FL and UEFA will allow BS like that? So every club can do it, and ignore FFP?

Boro's wages in 2015 were a lot lower than those of the Albion (but they were still able to offer Adam Clayton a better package when he signed for them, instead of us, from Huddersfield)
Impressive. And Rhodes?
and remember the Albion's wage bill rose by a third in 2016, so I think they have quite a bit of wiggle room.
When in 2016?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
:lol:
Thanks for the reply.
Clever? You're saying that the FL and UEFA will allow BS like that? So every club can do it, and ignore FFP?

I've been a very vocal opponent of FFP from day one precisely because it just allows clubs to employ expensive and aggressive accountants and lawyers to get down and dirty in terms of being creative. FL/PL and UEFA will be playing a perennial game of catchup, just as HMRC have had to go in respect of tax reduction schemes.

Impressive. And Rhodes?

Not only Rhodes, but also paying Downing £70k a week when he signed from West Ham.

When in 2016?

Albion wages year ending 30 June 2016.

Albion Wages 2016.PNG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been a very vocal opponent of FFP from day one precisely because it just allows clubs to employ expensive and aggressive accountants and lawyers
Well at least we can all agree that they're ****s.

Not only Rhodes, but also paying Downing £70k a week when he signed from West Ham.
So how was their wage bill lower than ours?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well at least we can all agree that they're ****s.

So how was their wage bill lower than ours?

Boro started at a lower base than us.

Interesting that a lot of our fans were critical of Hemed last season, and he scored 17 goals, whilst Boro's leading scorer had EIGHT.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Boro started at a lower base than us.
I thought they were way over the limit, fair play to them if they weren't.

Interesting that a lot of our fans were critical of Hemed last season, and he scored 17 goals, whilst Boro's leading scorer had EIGHT.
I'm not sure I'd call it interesting. Although it might just be the 'NSC fans' rather than the proper ones.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought they were way over the limit, fair play to them if they weren't.

I'm not sure I'd call it interesting. Although it might just be the 'NSC fans' rather than the proper ones.

Last season Boro spent

£9m on Rhodes(admittedly he only played for half a season) (6 goals in 18 appearances)
£4m on Nugent (8 goals in 38)
£3.6m on Stuani (7 in 36)

Total spend on strikers £16.6 m in one season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here