Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinese side 'make £127m Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang bid'

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mighty oaks from little acorns do grow.

Nothing stays the same; the growth of interest in China and America and the wealth available will likely eclipse the Premier League within a decade.

And out of 1.3 billion people, they can surely find 20 decent players to make a worthwhile squad.

Iceland has a population of 300,000, no big football culture and yet still managed to find a team that could beat England. Give China a bit of time and who knows where they'll get to

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's still a surprise, surely? They're forking out HUGE sums.
Ley's be honest, in terms of football they're third world.

80 St. Kitts and Nevis
82 China
83 Faroe Islands
It makes no difference how poor the national side is. They have a lot of money (a lot more than us) and want to make football big in China. So they're going to do it. Simple.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just can't see how this works out well for them in any way.

Our model 'works' because the viewers are there across the Far East to justify humongous overseas tv rights deal but the thing with a Chinese Super League is no one outside China will want to watch it let alone pay through the nose for the privilege.
If they build good teams that are well supported (by the billions of fans) with the best players, why won't people around the world watch it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm predicting that the Chinese Super League is going to fail unless they have enough owners to bankroll the operation for at least a decade
I think they do. They also have the will of the government, and that's a big deal over there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think they do. They also have the will of the government, and that's a big deal over there.

The hardest bit for them is convincing world class players - already rolling in money - that they are not taking an easy option when they could be proving themselves in Europe. These insane sums are being bandied about in an effort to overcome that, but it isn't sustainable in my view. Eventually, it will need to pay for itself. If in ten years time the worlds best are not flocking to China and the local talent pool remains utter turd as it is now, the businessmen running the show will probably just take a view on whether it is worth pouring money into a bottomless pit.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
They have a policy that only four overseas players can be on the pitch for a team at anyone time. So as a competitive footballing spectacle it won't rival either the Championship or Premier League. All the money will be spent on forwards and attacking midfielders, so watching World Class players against League 1 & 2 players would get tedious quite quickly. You don't win games by having the best player on the pitch; you lose it by having the worst player on the pitch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The hardest bit for them is convincing world class players - already rolling in money - that they are not taking an easy option when they could be proving themselves in Europe.
Indeed, but the more they persuade the better the league can become and the easier it becomes to persuade the players. If they go all in, it could work.

The US have had a much more subtle approach, bringing in the odd foreign start in the hope of attracting audiences and building home talent gradually. China aren't trying to do what the US tried, China are trying to build a decent league that is watched by many million, and earns money (eventually).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The money is coming from private companies apparently. This is an attempt as only communists know how to jump start Chinese football on the world stage at an accelerated pace. Equally ridiculous amounts of money are being spent on football schools. Until that comes to fruition they are buying it.

It's essentially the MK Dons model but on a much bigger stale.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
I just can't see how this works out well for them in any way.

Our model 'works' because the viewers are there across the Far East to justify humongous overseas tv rights deal but the thing with a Chinese Super League is no one outside China will want to watch it let alone pay through the nose for the privilege.

1.5bn audience...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They have a policy that only four overseas players can be on the pitch for a team at anyone time.
Well they'll have to change that rule if they want decent football.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Overseas markets are helpful to the PL but the majority of the money is still Sky and BT Vision on domestic rights.

It's definitely interesting.

It's getting closer. £5.1b v £3.6b in the latest round.

Wonder what Dunk is worth in Renminbi now?

On or offshore?!

If they build good teams that are well supported (by the billions of fans) with the best players, why won't people around the world watch it?

Because the reason they want to watch British football is as much to do with the heritage as it is the household names.

You have to earn that over years and years, not minutes.

1.5bn audience...

Yep and most still unable to fork out the required subscription costs to recoup the money spent on broadcasting rights let alone sill wages and transfer fees.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I believe that someone from NSC is appearing on TV tomorrow talking about this very subject.

Rumour has it he may use the phrase "It won't impact too much on those clubs competing regularly for the Champions League, but for a small club such as Crystal Palace....."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here