Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Benefit Changes

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Bitter at all? It's people like you that make me thoroughly glad well off parents are getting their holiday fund, paid for by me, cut. I'm a single man with no kids, I've worked extremely hard my entire life, paid my taxes, made my own money. Why the hell should I pay for you to go on your holiday? Selfish.

I'm in agreement here (speaking as a single man with no kids).

I'd toying with the idea of to upgrading my Baby, my BMW M-Sport, to a Porsche 911. It could leave me a little short at the end of the month tho. However, an extra £20.83 per week (tax free) and I'm laughing all the way to the bank. I contribute just as much in tax as a man with kids, so why don't the government help me out? After all, as a single person, I pay way over the odds for the services I receive as it is, I'm surely due a rebate.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We all pay tax pal, it's a shame mine goes into the holiday fund of scroungers like you and your wife. I resent having to pay for your kids anyway, let alone the fact you admit you put it in your holday fund. You're defending the indefensable. In principle you are no different to those "scum at the end of the road".

What an abysmal post.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I am against any cuts by the Tory's when they continue to steal and squander our money although I was shocked to hear how many families get child benefits when they already have reasonable incomes..
So what you meant to say here was " I applaud the Conservatives for having he gumption to tackle this thorny issue, an issue that the previous government failed to do aything about."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I appreciate you paying for my holiday, It means what I earned on yesterday's 13 hr shift I can do on fags and scratchcards.

we don't ALL work hard, have you been down London Rd lately, or pop into Wetherspoons when you're in town next, see if they're all enjoying their "day off"

There will always be people that redfuse to work. Comparing yourself to them doesn't make your case any better. Big deal, you and your wife have got jobs. Most peoplehave, that's the point. You seem to think yourself somehow special. I hat the Tory's but I'm glad they are clamping down on scroungers like you and your wife. Not a great example to set a child either.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So what you meant to say here was " I applaud the Conservatives for having he gumption to tackle this thorny issue, an issue that the previous government failed to do aything about."

No, unfortunately not. The Tory's are as usual, making a hash of it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There will always be people that redfuse to work. Comparing yourself to them doesn't make your case any better. Big deal, you and your wife have got jobs. Most peoplehave, that's the point. You seem to think yourself somehow special. I hat the Tory's but I'm glad they are clamping down on scroungers like you and your wife. Not a great example to set a child either.
Are you thick, Nibble? Two working parents are not "scroungers" just for taking child benefits they are/were entitled to. You may disagree with the idea of child benefits, but that doesn't make recipients scroungers.

I'm sure you can do better than these remedial posts.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Well that is subjective of course, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere, the published limits do produce anomolies, but you will always have winners and losers in every system. Income tax is no different, two people just under the 40% threshold vs one person just over....?? Its the same scenario.

The system is quite clearly farcical when say, someone like Paul McCartney who had a kid a few years ago can claim child benefit. It clearly needs to be means tested. Other aspects of the benefits system needs urgently reviewing, and means testin., For example, I do not understand why pensioner, Alan Sugar needs a bus pass & winter fuel allowance payment
I used to be responsible for organising the free school transport for the young McCartneys between their home near Peasmarsh and Rye.

I'm deadly serious. I resent paying for your holidays. You chose to have kids why should I pay for them? We all work hard. Unfortunately it's this unquestioning sense of entitlement that you clearly display that got this nation into the state we are in. You and your wife haven't acheived anything special, despite what you seem to think. It's what normal people do.

never claimed to have achieved anything special, just a working couple, who each earn 3 buttons more than the national average, who waited a long time until we could afford to have ONE child, so no housing benefit, dole money, long term sick benefit etc in order to not be refered to as a "pair of scroungers that have holidays paid for by single men", that was a waste of time though #sigh#

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you thick, Nibble? Two working parents are not "scroungers" just for taking child benefits they are/were entitled to. You may disagree with the idea of child benefits, but that doesn't make recipients scroungers.

I'm sure you can do better than these remedial posts.

Read carefuly Simster as I know you are intelligent. My point is he is calling other people scroungers. Well, the welfare system we have in this country entitles people to state benefit if they are out of work. These "Scum at the end of the road" are receiving what they are entitled to. As is Not the nine O clock news. According to his and your argument the principle remains the same. I'm saying you can't take money from the state when you have clearly stated that you don't need it and still accuse others of scrounging. The monetary value is irrelevant in many ways.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stopping this archaic 'benefit' absolutely has to be the right thing to do.

What does seem strange is the new means testing-ish that is being applied. I completely see that a full-on appraisal across both partner's incomes could become a very costly system to implement, negating most/all of the savings earned, but I do wonder why it is not just being scrapped completely with the money then factored into other existing means tested benefits that are paid to those who truly need them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
[/B]

never claimed to have achieved anything special, just a working couple, who each earn 3 buttons more than the national average, who waited a long time until we could afford to have ONE child, so no housing benefit, dole money, long term sick benefit etc in order to not be refered to as a "pair of scroungers that have holidays paid for by single men", that was a waste of time though #sigh#

Well if you don't want to be referred to as that probably not a great idea to admit you take the money even though you don't need it and spend it on holidays. I know this has become the accepted norm these days but it doesn't mean it's the correct way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Read carefuly Simster as I know you are intelligent. My point is he is calling other people scroungers. Well, the welfare system we have in this country entitles people to state benefit if they are out of work. These "Scum at the end of the road" are receiving what they are entitled to. As is Not the nine O clock news. According to his and your argument the principle remains the same. I'm saying you can't take money from the state when you have clearly stated that you don't need it and still accuse others of scrounging. The monetary value is irrelevant in many ways.
I think the difference is that some people look at the way benefits are handed out, then suit their lifestyle to accordingly live off them. These people are the bone idle scroungers. And FWIW, the tone of [MENTION=6288]Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews[/MENTION] irritates me slightly too, as I do think some people vastly overestimate the numbers of these people on the take. I really don't think there are anything like as many people doing it as some people think, except perhaps on soulless council estate devoid of much hope. The real benefit fraud seems to be from the utter twats who set up identities 100 bogus citizens and get them all claiming various benefits.

Well that is subjective of course, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere, the published limits do produce anomolies, but you will always have winners and losers in every system. Income tax is no different, two people just under the 40% threshold vs one person just over....?? Its the same scenario.

and at the end of the day, I didn't create this monster, I didn't go to my boss and say "here boss do us a favour, pay us a tenner a year less so i'm just under the threshold and I can scrounge £900 off the state and get my mate Nibble to pay for my two week at Sandles in Barbados" it's just happened that way. I don't feel bad

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the difference is that some people look at the way benefits are handed out, then suit their lifestyle to accordingly live off them. These pepole are bone idle scroungers. And FWIW, the tone of [MENTION=6288]Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews[/MENTION] irritates me slightly too, as I do think some people vastly overestimate the numbers of these people on the take. I really don't think there are anything like as many people doing it as some people think, except perhaps on soulless council estate devoid of much hope. The real benefit fraud seems to be from the utter twats who set up identities 100 bogus citizens and get them all claiming various benefits.

I don't begrudge a family 20 quid a week if they need it, the government should be trying to get us all up to a certain standard not bring us all down to a certain level but I do object to a family earning plenty of money receiving benefit that they waste. I abhore the attitude of "We're a lovely middle class family, our benefit is not scrounging but if you happen to be ill-educated and poor, now those benefits are for scroungers". That attitude stinks.

I think the difference is that some people look at the way benefits are handed out, then suit their lifestyle to accordingly live off them. These pepole are bone idle scroungers. And FWIW, the tone of [MENTION=6288]Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews[/MENTION] irritates me slightly too, as I do think some people vastly overestimate the numbers of these people on the take. I really don't think there are anything like as many people doing it as some people think, except perhaps on soulless council estate devoid of much hope. The real benefit fraud seems to be from the utter twats who set up identities 100 bogus citizens and get them all claiming various benefits.

This is a serious debate, I don't mean to irritate you, I am a sarcastic bugger I admit, I really don't want to sound sanctomonious, but i'm just emphasising I'd like to be known as a decent honest sort of bloke (and family) as most of the posters on here are too, I just feel the government are always coming down on the wrong people. If Nibble feels he pays for my holidays, i'm sorry he feels that way, at least I bring my own spending money,

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

My God,this is even more abysmal than the earlier example you posted,Nibble.
You come across as a very angry individual.Perhaps best you stay single.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the tories bring in the £60k limit and the £50-60k sliding scale? Labour was handing it out to anyone for all of their most recent time in power.

Personally, it's I think it's a joke payment, ours goes straight into a savings account for the kids. I don't think I deserve it just because I pay tax, that sort of sense of entitlement makes no sense to me.

And for people saying they don't have kids - fine, but don't be blind to the fact that without people having kids we'll pretty quickly run out of taxpayers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here