Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Chicago

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My Son lives there and been many times, first up its very expensive, but that won't affect you if the rumours are true.
It is very windy but a lot to see. Route 66 starts there but only a sign post to show it.
He is a member of the "statesside Seagulls" if you're planning to watch a game over there.

It isn't.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I go to Chicago quite a bit.

Take layers, it can be cold in the winter but the windy city thing is primarily related to wind chill. -20 on a still day is fine, on a windy day it's very dangerous. You may want some gloves or liners when running.

Dont bother with pizza, its nothing special.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I go to Chicago quite a bit.

Take layers, it can be cold in the winter but the windy city thing is primarily related to wind chill. -20 on a still day is fine, on a windy day it's very dangerous. You may want some gloves or liners when running.

Dont bother with pizza, its nothing special.

I thought it was (very famously) related to their tabloid press? It's about as windy as London, statistically.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I live 50 miles from Chicago in Indiana and work there daily. What do you really need to know? Because I find most of the comments very limiting as to truly enjoying Chicago. The "Windy City" designation is both about the wind that comes in off Lake Michigan and whips around the tall skyscrapers and the politicians that talk too much. You also need to know what a Chicago accent sounds like.

The Real Neil

Sep 10, 2020
Been to Chicago a couple of times and absolutely love the city, seen someone post negatively about the pizza but I absolutely love it, and think it is a must to try while you are there. I would recommend Giordano's or Lou Malnati's, both authentic Chicago deep dish and have restaurants downtown, just make sure you go when you are hungry!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Hancock Tower and/or Sears Tower (or Willis Tower, or whatever it calls itself now). The Sears Tower has glass boxes that you can walk out on and look straight down. Hancock Tower is nearer the lake.

Museum of Science and Industry. Big train, Coal mine, Enormous doll's house, German U-boat, Loads of planes, model train layout, etc. I spend a day in there every time I go.

Field Museum if you like animals.

Navy Pier, big wheel, boat trips. The architectural river tour was interesting.

Public transport is dirt cheap. $20 for the week, or $25 for you because you'll need to buy a new card. Covers all city centre buses and el-trains (elevated, their equivalent of the London tube). You can get them from ticket machines at the airport. Try and get a map of the bus/train routes as well, which are free at the airport.

Baseball, Chicago cubs are at home every day from now to 2nd October, and the White Sox are at home on the 3rd-4th-5th October. Well worth a trip, but be prepared to wrap up warm. Wrigley Field (Cubs) is historic, Comiskey Park (White Sox, it now has a sponsored name) is new and shiny. Both teams are out of the playoffs with nothing to play for so you should get seats if interested. The cheaper seats on deck 4/5 are fine, in fact I prefer them to the more expensive seats lower down.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
ok since you tried.

The former name of the tower with the 360 Skydeck is the John Hancock building but is now called 875 N. Michigan because the John Hancock Insurance Company hasn't done business in the building for about 30 years.

Baseball will probably be done by the time the O. P. gets to Chicago.

The name of the baseball stadium that the Chicago White Sox play is currently called Guaranteed Rate Field.

The Museum of Science & Industry is very special and is on the south side in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Being built right near the Museum of S&I is the Obama Presidential Library. These Presidential Libraries tend to be like museums and not libraries.

I think everyone should experience the walk out into a see through SkyView window like they have at the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower which most Chicagoans still call it by that name) .

Navy Pier is good but can be crowded.

There will be many closures due to the Marathon in the Grant Park area downtown and other areas of the downtown area.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Been there a few times. Some of the things I was going to recommend have already been said lol, but here is a couple more:

If a pizza fan and want the best Chicago style pizza to try(Imo anyway) then go to any of the Pizano's locations in the city. Amazing pizza. Not the cheapest, but worth it and really does not take much to fill you up anyway.

Other suggestion I have is do the Gangsters and Ghosts tour. I did it before and its great. Its a walking tour of the city with a great guide talking about the supernatural aspects of the city and the gangster history(Al Capone, etc) as well. Here is the link if you want to book it:
https://gangstersandghosts.com/book-online-now/

Have fun!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get down by the lakeside and just enjoy the walk.

I loved Chicago a little more than NYC - and I LOVE NYC. It just felt a little more real.

It's a hugely underated city. I have some excellent restaurant tips (there's a couple of really good starred gastropubs I went to), some exellent craft beer bar recommendations, and a few architecture tours....busy at the moment so I'll update later.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
There won't be a game on but I would recommend a tour of Wrigley Field. Iconic stadium and some interesting history about the team and city. There is a bar near the stadium called Sluggers which has batting cages upstairs, which is fun.

100% do an architecture tour. They take you on a boat down the river and onto the lake. Lots of great views and the MC tells you lots of great Chicago history.

As others have mentioned, the Skydeck.

The Bean is an iconic landmark but only worth stopping at on your way to/from somewhere.

For food, Little Goat Diner has amazing breakfast/brunch. The sister restaurant Duck Duck Goat is very good for dinner. Italian beef sandwiches are famous in Chicago, with Al's #1 Italian Beef being the best known. Portillo's is also a famous spot for Chicago-style hot dogs. For Pizza, Pequods and Lou Malnati’s are the high profile ones but you would certainly be able to find better once you're there just by asking around. Au Cheval is a super famous burger place but the line is always hours long… BUT they have other locations called “Small Cheval” which is more of a fast food spot and the burgers are still very good.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This is brilliant info for me also (thanks everyone) as myself and Mrs Nose are flying out there for a week over new year. We've done NYC, Boston, LA, Vegas and of course Florida but we've always fancied a look at Chicago.

Is New Years Eve a big thing there, and if so, what would you recommend as a place to go? Not looking for black tie or anything expensive - just a firework display and some beers and cocktails.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This is brilliant info for me also (thanks everyone) as myself and Mrs Nose are flying out there for a week over new year. We've done NYC, Boston, LA, Vegas and of course Florida but we've always fancied a look at Chicago.

Is New Years Eve a big thing there, and if so, what would you recommend as a place to go? Not looking for black tie or anything expensive - just a firework display and some beers and cocktails.

If it's anything like 4th July they will have lots of fireworks at Navy Pier.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It is in February when its -18 with wind chill of -25
chicago.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here