Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea Recruiting in W Sussex

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Oh ffs, we have summer schools for recruiting kid footballers all over Spain, in the Ivory Coast, up North, etc etc etc. So does every club worth its salt (including, I am sure, Albion). Get over yourselves. Do you really not understand how football works these days? Post a question in Ask The Club asking where Albion have kid training/recreuitment days, I think you'll be surprised. Welcome to the 21st Century. There is electricity now.

No you don't. It's against the laws of the game. You can only select players from the south of England.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
All of that is the very reason clubs need to be assigned recruitment zones.

If a small club is too poor to have an academy they should be protected by a zonal law that means if a kid is taken by any other club in their zone some compensation comes their way.

As it is Chelsea can just got through whole area and sign up the best 10 year olds in the district meaning no other local clubs stand a chance as they wont have the resources to be able to be dealing with that age bracket.

Zones wouldn't change a thing, there are already two zones. North and South. What needs to be enforced is a time of stay for players graduating from an academy. This should in my opinion be to the age of 22. The club will be able to get a return on the money that they have invested in players over the years and then if the player is to move on at the end of this period for 'free' the same compensation procedure should be used. You will be able to get an accurate value of the player as they will have had some competetive action, not a guesstimation as is done at the moment.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Binned yes... my two girls have there Albion lunch boxes and know what to shout next time they step foot in the school :) your right that the heads should stop this but surely the club have got to expand the network... West & North Sussex should be the blue and white of Albion not Chelsea ! (although Creepy will never be BHA and to be honest the club would'nt want them) after all we are gonna need the missing generation to fill the 30,000 seater Amex in a few years !
f*** of you prick, plenty of Albion in Crawley.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
My son came home from school with a chelsea training flyer a few weeks back. He already does courses with pro direct at buckingham park in shoreham.
He really wanted to do the chelsea course which upset me after the years i have spent sticking him to the albion. I basically told my son '' Do the the chelsea course and i will stick you're season ticket in the bloody bin''.

I sent an email to the BHA mentioning chelsea were operating in the local area and if maybe we could have albion schools in shoreham but so far no reply.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
When did a kid from the Chelsea accademy last play regularly in the Chelsea first team?

Ok, El Abd won the Albion player of the year this season, but how many other players in our current first team learned their trade through our own youth team set up? Elphick and Dunk - reserve center backs; anyone else?

Until we build our own accademy/centre of excellence, we are not going to attract youngsters who will be future championship/premiership players. The best prospects are going to go to the best accademies.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
You're asking this small (relatively) club and it's community scheme to compete with clubs with far deeper pockets than Tony Bloom's and much more appeal to young kids. It's not easy at all.

But they are all clubs where our kids wouldn't have a chance of hell of getting a game. This one should be down to the parents to inform them of this

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
I think it would be difficult if where you live determines which youth set-up your kid is eligible to play for. Yes its unfair that bigger clubs can nick players off the doorstep of the smaller clubs, but what about the rights of the kid to get the best coaching possible? if the zonal rule was introduced, he would have to go to his nearest club, what happens if the youth setup at that club is a joke and the coaching crap? His chance of 'making it' would be less than if he was at a club with a brilliant setup.....No?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
When did a kid from the Chelsea accademy last play regularly in the Chelsea first team?

Ok, El Abd won the Albion player of the year this season, but how many other players in our current first team learned their trade through our own youth team set up? Elphick and Dunk - reserve center backs; anyone else?

Until we build our own accademy/centre of excellence, we are not going to attract youngsters who will be future championship/premiership players. The best prospects are going to go to the best accademies.

This will take several years. I know you're investing heavily in an academy set up, however I think it will be at least 15-20 years before you start seeing quality come from it regularly. Just because you have a brand spanking new academy does not mean players will come to you. It's a bit similar to the MAn City situation regarding Kaka. HE stated they could pay him all they want, but they are not a big club and he would not move there. This is similar in the academies. The best academies in the country have spent years building up a reputation, the likes of us (Soton), West Ham, Watford, Man U and a few others. For the last 25 years we've been churning out talent and will continueto do so. The best players in will go to these academies as they have the best chance of progressing as a player. Take Oxlade-Chamberlain, pompey through and through, but decided to join us as we have the track record of producing players. It's a fantastic development for Brighton, but don't expect to see mass reward from it any time soon. Heck when I was in the Soton set up, we had two players from Brighton way playing for us, it wouldn't suprise me if there's a a few in there at the moment.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
:nono: Has anyone else been concerned by the recent Chelsea visits to West Sussex l Schools ??

my kids came home end of last term with a Chelsea training flyer having had a youth team member at assembly ?? this was in Horsham but they also hold sessions in Worthing and even as close as Southwick !! I trust BHAFC will respond soon ??

surely we can stop this trend now we have Bloom and the Amex ?

Horsham is a bit near the Chelsea Surrey academy. These should be Sussex frontier towns like Crawley where invading headhunters should be terminated.

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
The point I was making was not future players.. clearly thats the role of the acadamy to attract youth.. I am more concerned that London clubs are actively promoting in schools for our future supporters... below is the west sussex branch of chelsea.. EX BHAFC ????? I just think the club will need to compete, I can understand Horsham but Southwick ??? thats out of order !

Chris Harris, West Sussex Development Manager
Chris is also an ex professional player formerly playing for Brighton & Hove Albion. His aspiration to expand and reach designated areas of Surrey was a great success and the area has since grown enormously. Previously concentrating on Guildford/Dorking/Leatherhead Chris has now passed this over and since moving to West Sussex has been successful in building a comprehensive programme in Crawley, Horsham, East Grinsted etc. Chris also has the role of training our YT's and is working with his second in two years. Working alongside Chris they learn not only the coaching aspect but also gain confidence in dealing with parents, teachers etc. This is a very challenging role and one that Chris excels in. Another arm of the job is being in charge of our residential trial programme which takes place annually and is an opportunity for club standard players to participate in a structured, advanced programme.
Email: chris.harris@chelseafc.com Landline: 020 79578220 Mobile: 07775 661151

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I did a coaching badge for junior football a few years back and within weeks of passing it I had a letter from Southampton asking me to be a 'schools coach' for West Sussex. Essentially I would have got a Southampton tracksuit and a bit of cash for going in to local schools and taking after-school sessions. I guess the thinking was it might get a few extra Saints fans and identify good youngsters if they had loads of people doing it all over Sussex.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I was particularly concerned that there were a large number of Chelsea fans on my flight in for the game yesterday. We may need to reclaim Gatwick too.

garethlewes

Nov 9, 2010
Chelski are running scared now.

Now BHA are now moving to the Amex, they are trying to keep their meagre support from God's county intact.

All your argument on this has been that the bigger club taking kids from the smaller clubs and then not playing them or getting a first team chance. I point you in the direction of Grant Hall, was a player at Lewes then went to Brighton at a young age left at 16 and went back to Lewes then BHA came in and took him back with the chance of first team football and he went on loan to Bognor. Now he might not be given an extension on his contract so may leave again, you need to look closer to home before slagging off the Bigger clubs.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Bring in border controls and letters of transit for non Sussex infidels.That'll soon send them running back to Cobham crying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here