Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was under the impression that it was a case review by an independent panel. All they can do is look at all the case files and then decide if they can send it back to the appeal court. This is not an appeal, it's a review body.

This is my understanding as well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No but it could mean her version of events wasnt true and she did give her consent as Evans has maintained, then it isnt rape.

I further explained my point while you were replying.

And that means she deserves to get raped?

No of course not. And I'm sure you don't mean that either, but it is where that stupid "she's not so innocent/little miss innocent" line leads. By trying to suggest she isn't so innocent there is an implied "yes, she was raped, but it doesn't count" position as the argument goes along the path it just did. Her innocence or lack there of is not a justification for him raping her. When Ched's supporters bring it up, that is the only way it goes.

If she lied and actually remembers consenting, if she has a history of lying, false claims, the argument isn't "well she's hardly innocent, is she!" the argument is "I don't believe her", focus on that if you believe it.

Leave the discussion of her innocence or lack there of alone, it only makes it seem like you are suggesting she deserves being raped.​

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was under the impression that it was a case review by an independent panel. All they can do is look at all the case files and then decide if they can send it back to the appeal court. This is not an appeal, it's a review body.

Could that not be the case with some new evidence submitted. Just a thought what if she had told somebody said to be reliable, that what she said in evidence wasnt exactly true, not saying that is the case

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Could that not be the case with some new evidence submitted. Just a thought what if she had told somebody said to be reliable, that what she said in evidence wasnt exactly true, not saying that is the case

No, they can only look at all the evidence presented during the trial. They could then send it back and I think they can suggest that the courts look at it again, that can include allowing another appeal or a retrial.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That wasn't brought up in the original case?

As I understand the law, the defence cannot bring into court evidence about the girls character unless reference is made to it by the prosecution. It works both ways, a prosecution cannot bring into evidence previous convictions unless the defence suggest something along the lines their client is a good citizen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, they can only look at all the evidence presented during the trial. They could then send it back and I think they can suggest that the courts look at it again, that can include allowing another appeal or a retrial.

Not sure you'll find that is the case.

Extract from the CCRC site Q & A for potential applicants

https://www.justice.gov.uk/about/criminal-cases-review-commission/potential-applicants-guidance

What is “new evidence or legal argument”?
If we are going to be able to refer your case for an appeal we will
usually need to find some important new evidence or legal argument.
Usually this means something that was not covered at your trial or your
appeal. For example it may be new evidence not known about at the
time, or something that has changed since your trial, like the
appearance of a new witness or a new development in science. We
can’t usually look again at things that were known about by the jury,
the judge or the magistrates, even if you believe that they made the
wrong decision in your case. We need to identify something new that
wasn’t raised back then, and that the judges at your appeal didn’t
know either, that makes your case look significantly different now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the paper on Saturday it said he was looking at playing in Turkey and another said Ireland and come home after each game but a Justice Ministry spokesman said it is doubtful that he would be allowed to leave the country while on licence.

Barry Stir

Nov 3, 2009
No, that is not the law. A defendant's good character can be referred to and in this case I have no doubt that Evans' team will have made huge noises about his hitherto good character. However, the good character of a complainant/victim cannot be referred to. I know not whether the victim in this case had a clean record but if she did the jury will not have been told. Therefore, in that respect, Evans would have been better off.

However, if it is bad character, namely previous convictions or other reprehensible conduct, you must apply for it to be introduced against acuteness on the other side, including a defendant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't understand this post. Are you really suggesting that the difference between rape and consensual sex is a small one?

to be fair, that is at the heart of this case, and why it is still being debated.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him in a strange way. If he was a plumber who committed the crime he would have served his sentence then probably just got another job as plumber and and try to re-build his life somewhere else. However, he has been forced out of Sheffield by the opprobrium and how has to look for somewhere else to start afresh. Will he get that chance ? probably not, as the moment he has any connection with another club the same furore will ensue.

Yes, he has committed a serious crime ( although under appeal I believe ) but I think he will hounded wherever he goes now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him in a strange way. If he was a plumber who committed the crime he would have served his sentence then probably just got another job as plumber and and try to re-build his life somewhere else. However, he has been forced out of Sheffield by the opprobrium and how has to look for somewhere else to start afresh. Will he get that chance ? probably not, as the moment he has any connection with another club the same furore will ensue.

Yes, he has committed a serious crime ( although under appeal I believe ) but I think he will hounded wherever he goes now.

I guess the lesson is.....DON'T RAPE PEOPLE.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Not sure you'll find that is the case.

Extract from the CCRC site Q & A for potential applicants

https://www.justice.gov.uk/about/criminal-cases-review-commission/potential-applicants-guidance

What is “new evidence or legal argument”?
If we are going to be able to refer your case for an appeal we will
usually need to find some important new evidence or legal argument.
Usually this means something that was not covered at your trial or your
appeal. For example it may be new evidence not known about at the
time, or something that has changed since your trial, like the
appearance of a new witness or a new development in science. We
can’t usually look again at things that were known about by the jury,
the judge or the magistrates, even if you believe that they made the
wrong decision in your case. We need to identify something new that
wasn’t raised back then, and that the judges at your appeal didn’t
know either, that makes your case look significantly different now.

I stand corrected, so in that case, it can only be new evidence and not what was presented in court the last time or had the Judge summed up. That would make it harder for him then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here