Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That didn't last long...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30568783

Hartlepool have ruled out signing convicted rapist Ched Evans.

The 25-year-old was released in October after serving half of a five-year sentence for the rape of a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room in 2011.

Hartlepool manager Ronnie Moore had said he was considering signing the former Sheffield United striker.

But in a statement the club said they "do not intend signing Ched Evans" despite "his obvious ability as a football player".
Hartlepool have since announced Moore was responding "hypothetically" to an "unsubstantiated internet rumour".
On Saturday Hartlepool's Labour MP Iain Wright said Evans was a "pariah" and signing him would send the wrong message to young fans.

Speaking on Sky Sports News following Hartlepool's statement on Sunday, Wright said: "I am really pleased. Reputation is incredibly important for football clubs. It is significant that no club in the Football League is considering signing him and Hartlepool are among them.

"It sends out a powerful message about what acceptable behaviour is. We can now move on and make sure the number one priority is league survival."​

The possibility of him signing for Hartlepool was discussed on sunday supplement this morning (before this news broke), and one of the journalists suggested it was unlikely to happen as Ched can't leave the area he currently lives in (or is refusing to), and the commute would have been prohibitive, but that there possibly another interested league club (I think they said league two) that was closer to where he lived that might be an option for him. Though the general consensus was that the things needed from someone convicted of rape to be allowed back into football are the sort of things he can't say/do while he is appealing the case, and perhaps he should just wait until after his case review is complete.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That didn't last long...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30568783

Hartlepool have ruled out signing convicted rapist Ched Evans.

The 25-year-old was released in October after serving half of a five-year sentence for the rape of a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room in 2011.

Hartlepool manager Ronnie Moore had said he was considering signing the former Sheffield United striker.

But in a statement the club said they "do not intend signing Ched Evans" despite "his obvious ability as a football player".
Hartlepool have since announced Moore was responding "hypothetically" to an "unsubstantiated internet rumour".
On Saturday Hartlepool's Labour MP Iain Wright said Evans was a "pariah" and signing him would send the wrong message to young fans.

Speaking on Sky Sports News following Hartlepool's statement on Sunday, Wright said: "I am really pleased. Reputation is incredibly important for football clubs. It is significant that no club in the Football League is considering signing him and Hartlepool are among them.

"It sends out a powerful message about what acceptable behaviour is. We can now move on and make sure the number one priority is league survival."​

The possibility of him signing for Hartlepool was discussed on sunday supplement this morning (before this news broke), and one of the journalists suggested it was unlikely to happen as Ched can't leave the area he currently lives in (or is refusing to), and the commute would have been prohibitive, but that there possibly another interested league club (I think they said league two) that was closer to where he lived that might be an option for him. Though the general consensus was that the things needed from someone convicted of rape to be allowed back into football are the sort of things he can't say/do while he is appealing the case, and perhaps he should just wait until after his case review is complete.

It's quite simple.

If he can legally clear his conviction then there should be no restrictions on his employment in any career path he chooses.

If he cannot overturn his conviction then he must remain constricted on his offers of employment. He doesn't have to be a footballer. Its not a compulsory career.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Controversial I know but I hope the guy gets a job in non league as part as his rehabilitation so that he can stay contributing to society again. He won't receive the pay or the accolades or impress as a role model there. But he will pay tax and have a purpose in life once more. That is I believe all he deserves. But I'd rather not be paying tax towards his upkeep for another 40years. If we are to believe in rehabilitation. Ridiculous the justice systems let him go less than 3 years but then that's out justice system and many of those outraged don't even vote so....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bet Barber and Burke are toying with the idea. Evans could save their careers.

And destroy any thoughts of the Albion as a family club in the process. Besides, TB explicitly ruled out signing the convicted rapist at the Seagulls Over London meeting a month or two back. So the proposition is a non-starter.

And destroy any thoughts of the Albion as a family club in the process. Besides, TB explicitly ruled out signing the convicted rapist at the Seagulls Over London meeting a month or two back. So the proposition is a non-starter.

Don't engage with this idiot, he is the outed poster previously known asBigBelly, has an axe to grind with the club.

And claimed to have dropped us for Palace.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014

Barber has done that already but axing Gully girls as he thought dirty old men are Brighton fans when in fact the children loved Gully Girls so axing them has ruined the match day experience for children who Barber wants. Children and parent season ticket sales have dropped because he thinks we're all peodifiles.

Barber is a clown and mug and is ruining this club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Barber has done that already but axing Gully girls as he thought dirty old men are Brighton fans when in fact the children loved Gully Girls so axing them has ruined the match day experience for children who Barber wants. Children and parent season ticket sales have dropped because he thinks we're all peodifiles.

Barber is a clown and mug and is ruining this club.

Is it because you got a ban from the Amex?

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Is it because you got a ban from the Amex?

Never been banned, Maybe you'd like to meet for a pre match drink in the west stand. Been reading a lot I've been banned and am banned so maybe we could put this issue to bed once and for all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Controversial I know but I hope the guy gets a job in non league as part as his rehabilitation so that he can stay contributing to society again. He won't receive the pay or the accolades or impress as a role model there. But he will pay tax and have a purpose in life once more. That is I believe all he deserves. But I'd rather not be paying tax towards his upkeep for another 40years. If we are to believe in rehabilitation. Ridiculous the justice systems let him go less than 3 years but then that's out justice system and many of those outraged don't even vote so....

If you are looking at Conference, or Conference South / North, the same issues remain, just with less national coverage. If anything, the non-league clubs survival is even MORE to do with their community role. Involving kids in the club, getting families to come along, round the local schools doing training sessions with kids. Non-league clubs simply HAVE to work hard in the local community to try and get enough people through the turnstiles and paying the money to keep them afloat.

Whatever level you look at, until you drop to amateur football with players paying subs, you are talking about a business that wouldn't welcome the negative publicity that signing him will bring.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I thought his girlfiend's old man was going to give him a job if he didn't get back into football?

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Do you know what I'm really begining to appreciate about this story? It's illustrating the power that we the ordinary pleb still has in football related matters. Clearly this changes nothing of the horror of the original crime.

There is nothing to stop Ched Evans resuming his career anywhere, except the disgust of the fans of that club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here