Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My suggestion was based on the possibility of signing a once proven goal scorer at very little cost with no comeback or cost whatsoever on us if it failed.
Whether or not he overturns his decision, he behaved improperly. What cost would signing him have on our club? Free transfer, sure, but what about our fan base or corporate sponsors?

Find him innocent of rape, he's still an ar5e.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
My suggestion was based on the possibility of signing a once proven goal scorer at very little cost with no comeback or cost whatsoever on us if it failed.

The other way of looking at it is that it will affect any future sponsorship deals for the club, could also tarnish the 'family friendly' image it has which could affect attendances. Good chance that the money lost from this would outweigh the money saved from purchasing and wages of a player without the tarnished image.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure there are better targets out there.
At least the criteria for playing for The Albion 2015-16 has, according to NSC, now widened.

- Former Albion players.
- Convicted rapists.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
At least the criteria for playing for The Albion 2015-16 has, according to NSC, now widened.

- Former Albion player.
- Convicted rapist.
Ha! I find it incredulous that his name would even be mentioned. He's done nothing of note over the last few years, other than earning 50p an hour for scrubbing toilets, and suddenly he is an option to fix our goalscoring woes.

He had a decent season and not much else to boast about.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can fully understand your view but are we not just taking a moral highground view based on his crime. Would we have the same view had the offence and prison sentence been for drug dealing or are we saying we should not sign anybody who has served a prison sentence for whatever reason.

There is no we. I speak for myself.

For me, we shouldn't sign a convicted rapist just because he might get a few goals. It takes more than a denial to wipe the conviction. My position on who we should and shouldn't deal with will change with each case, depending on the offence, the victim, the conduct and attitude of the person involved. I don't think that makes my position on Ched somehow unfair. I think everyone on here would have different position on different crimes and that is quite reasonable.

Also, I think trying to position people who dislike rapists as taking 'moral high ground' - in a way that suggests it is somehow a bad thing to dislike rape and rapists - is ridiculous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ha! I find it incredulous that his name would even be mentioned. He's done nothing of note over the last few years, other than earning 50p an hour for scrubbing toilets, and suddenly he is an option to fix our goalscoring woes.

He had a decent season and not much else to boast about.
Ah but he's a name people have heard of, so he must be good.

It's May and I already despair about the complete lack of imagination shown by Albion fans, towards potential new Albion signings.

The only assumption I can make is us Albion fans have no footballing knowledge outside of BN1 and tabloid back pages.
There's even a call for Buckley's return on t'other, Hughton signings, thread.

Nimrodtastic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The reason he's low cost is because the general public and therefore sponsors are against him. You should know this because it's been discussed in the thread (which you've posted in) before. We have a lot of season ticket holders, we market ourselves as a family club, and we have great sponsorship deals, and it would all be damaged if we offered him any sort of deal. How on earth do you not already know this?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
with the same sentence

Also, I think trying to position people who dislike rapists as taking 'moral high ground' - in a way that suggests it is somehow a bad thing to dislike rape and rapists - is ridiculous.

To me all crimes that are punished in the same manner are equal. I can never understand the people who say that the death penalty should be be brought back for the murder of certain groups of people. To my way of thinking all murders are equal, a life was taken. We as people are saying that although both crimes, the judge may have decreed warranted a 5 year sentence or whatever, we are saying that a particular crime is worse than another with the same sentence that is where we are setting the moral highground. Not just in this particular case but in general.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not at all. In this particular case, though, he is toxic until COMPLETION of a SUCCESSFUL appeal at least.
I disagree with the idea 'at least'. If he was to have an appeal, and was successful, then he'd be a man innocent of any crime, and if he's not then given the chance to play I think that would be a terrible injustice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The reason he's low cost is because the general public and therefore sponsors are against him. You should know this because it's been discussed in the thread (which you've posted in) before. We have a lot of season ticket holders, we market ourselves as a family club, and we have great sponsorship deals, and it would all be damaged if we offered him any sort of deal. How on earth do you not already know this?

I fully understand what you are saying but IF an appeal is granted and successful he becomes the same and as guilty as the family man sitting next to you. As I have said if he failed just scrub it and surely our principles would have been shown to be of the highest order, conviction no deal, conviction overturned a deal. The criteria should be is he likely to be good enough to make a comeback.before a final decision is made if the conviction is overturned. If it isnt overturned just forget him.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This thread's resurrection is a mix of :lolol: and :facepalm:

As soon as I saw it was back my first instinct was to guess who raised it from the dead.

You'll be glad to know I got it right.

I fully understand what you are saying but IF an appeal is granted and successful he becomes the same and as guilty as the family man sitting next to you. As I have said if he failed just scrub it and surely our principles would have been shown to be of the highest order, conviction no deal, conviction overturned a deal. The criteria should be is he likely to be good enough to make a comeback.before a final decision is made if the conviction is overturned. If it isnt overturned just forget him.

So in your mind, we should allow a convicted rapist to train with our team using our facilities in the slim hope he is first granted leave to appeal, then granted an appeal, then found innocent.

And you think if we were to do this our principles would be of the highest order.

Amazing, truly amazing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ah but he's a name people have heard of, so he must be good.

It's May and I already despair about the complete lack of imagination shown by Albion fans, towards potential new Albion signings.

The only assumption I can make is us Albion fans have no footballing knowledge outside of BN1 and tabloid back pages.
There's even a call for Buckley's return on t'other, Hughton signings, thread.

Nimrodtastic.

I was wondering whether Usain Bolt would be worth a look? He's expressed an interest in football, and looks like he has a decent touch in his adverts. Oh and he's quick. :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So in your mind, we should allow a convicted rapist to train with our team using our facilities in the slim hope he is first granted leave to appeal, then granted an appeal, then found innocent.

And you think if we were to do this our principles would be of the highest order.

Amazing, truly amazing.

Did you ever go to school and learn to read. I said the decision on allowing an appeal is due within a couple of weeks IF IT WAS GRANTED allow him to train that would be in some 7 weeks time which time an appeal if it was going to be held would be on the system.

Did you ever go to school and learn to read. I said the decision on allowing an appeal is due within a couple of weeks IF IT WAS GRANTED allow him to train in some 7 weeks time.
He's guilty you fvckwit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here