Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You are aware that our legal system has a system of appeals because based on your comments above, that would suggest not. Even after appeals fail, you are aware, well you should be if you have been following this case, that even after appeals there is the CCRC?

I would suggest we have one of, if not the, best judicial systems which has been the model for many other countries. That said, it is not perfect hence the various appeals processes available.

With regard to the website being referred to the CPS, wasn't this following a complaint from the girl's father that the video from the hotel foyer could identify the girl! Having seen the video, I struggle to see that is the case as it seems no different to when other parts of the media distort part of an image to prevent identification. Does seem a bit late bearing in mind the site has seemingly been up and running at least since March 2013 although, obviously, it isn't clear when certain items have been added! Will be interesting to see what the CPS think and whether they take it further.

What's the point in complaining that such a poor quality video can identify her - even if the face wasn't obscured, you'd struggle to recognise her. He must surely be aware that she can be identified by a number of non UK based web sites on which UK law doesnt have jurisdiction?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Rapist Ched Evans has submitted "fresh evidence" which he hopes will get his conviction overturned.

The disgraced Wales football international was jailed for five years in 2012 after being found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman at a hotel in Rhyl.

The 26-year-old was released last year after serving half of his sentence.

Evans' website says new evidence has been lodged with the Criminal Cases Review Commission by his lawyers.

It is claimed these details "strengthens" his case.

The statement on his website reads: "The application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission on behalf of Ched Evans was submitted on 15 July 2014 and was given Level 1 priority in September 2014.

"On Friday 23rd January 2015 further detailed submissions - supported by previously unavailable fresh evidence that we believe strengthens Ched's application - were lodged with the Commission."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to the press on Sunday a decision is expected about a possible appeal within a few weeks. Would it be worth the club contacting him and making an agreement for him to come to pre season training to reach fitness and offer him a contract if found not guilty but if the conviction stays the offer be automatically rescinded. I am sure some club will make a similar offer so why not us?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
According to the press on Sunday a decision is expected about a possible appeal within a few weeks. Would it be worth the club contacting him and making an agreement for him to come to pre season training to reach fitness and offer him a contract if found not guilty but if the conviction stays the offer be automatically rescinded. I am sure some club will make a similar offer so why not us?

Because he is League 1 standard?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would reiterate the part. highlighted. Sorry if that is difficult for some to understand.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would reiterate the part. highlighted. Sorry if that is difficult for some to understand.

You realise that in a few weeks the only decision will be whether he is allowed to appeal. He will still be guilty at that point. If he is allowed to appeal, it could be months, if not over a year before an appeal hearing is scheduled and then reaches a decision. He's going to be a convicted rapist for sometime to come yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the recommendation is to grant an appeal based on new evidence wouldnt that appeal be fast tracked rather than follow the normal process in which case it could be late summer. If the appeal is not granted just forget all about him the only cost to us would be letting him use the training facility to get fit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Absolutely not. There should be no dealing with him before any change in his status as a convicted rapist.

According to this article from the 10th of March, Ched is resigned to no playing until at least 2016/17, and even then isn't convinced he'd be able to get back into football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to the press on Sunday a decision is expected about a possible appeal within a few weeks. Would it be worth the club contacting him and making an agreement for him to come to pre season training to reach fitness and offer him a contract if found not guilty but if the conviction stays the offer be automatically rescinded.
And BG isn't a joke account. You have a special ability to be able to keep surprising us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Absolutely not. There should be no dealing with him before any change in his status as a convicted rapist.

According to this article from the 10th of March, Ched is resigned to no playing until at least 2016/17, and even then isn't convinced he'd be able to get back into football.

I can fully understand your view but are we not just taking a moral highground view based on his crime. Would we have the same view had the offence and prison sentence been for drug dealing or are we saying we should not sign anybody who has served a prison sentence for whatever reason.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can fully understand your view but are we not just taking a moral highground view based on his crime. Would we have the same view had the offence and prison sentence been for drug dealing or are we saying we should not sign anybody who has served a prison sentence for whatever reason.

No, we'd definitely take a drug dealer if they can score 15 or more a season. Paedophile might be a trickier one though, depends on whether they've a decent left foot or not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not at all. In this particular case, though, he is toxic until COMPLETION of a SUCCESSFUL appeal at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here